CS: Source bad performance on laptop

hitraj 47

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
The fan stopped working on my graphics card for my gaming PC so I'm waiting on the replacement from newegg. In the mean time I have a laptop that I can use, which I am on now. It's mainly for college but looking at the specs I didn't think it would be really bad for gaming. The specs are:

XP Pro w/ WP3
1.75GB RAM
GeForce 7000M [ Don't know how much memory ]
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-58 1.9GHz

A dual core, almost 2GB RAM and a GeForce 7 series should be able to play counter strike source right? A PC that I had for 6 years (Athlox XP 2800+, 512MB RAM, FX5200) could play CS on low settings but I at least got an average of 40fps. With this laptop I'm struggling to make 15/20 and it runs at mostly 10fps and is completely unplayable.

I have gone into the nVidia control panel and changed the 3D settings to performance and it makes no difference.

My laptop is an Acer Apire 5520 if that helps.

Thanks.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Some of your troubles may come from the HDD.
Your desktop HDD spins at 7000 rpm and the laptop prolly 5200.
It cant provide data fast enough, and when a game says it can run with 2G memory
it doesnt say you will enjoy it.

hitraj 47

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
A lot of laptops, unless you buy an expensive Alienware or something come with 5400rpm hard drives. Mine is a 5400rpm, could that be the problem?

I also updated to the latest drivers, at least latest as far as this laptop is concerned.

Is there anything I can do to increase performance? Or will I have to spend money?

I guess I'd have to spend money, in which case it's not worth it, I should have my replacement card within the next 2/3 weeks.

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
run at 16bit color instead of 32.
cl_weather 0
cl_shadows 0 (might be mp_shadows)
cl_ragdollphysics 0 (you will need to look this one up, I cant remember if its exact or not)
under options put smoke on the least detailed setting.
Turn off anti aliasing and antiscopic filtering?? Try an older gefore driver on the 70x series if it will detect your card.
vsync off?
geforce set to performance instead of quality in display settings ?

Just some stuff to dig around for.

Here is someones blog that tells you how to lauch CS:s with lower directx level. which could give a good boost too if it will run.
http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.com/2008/03/cal-legal-source-tweaks-caseys-config.html

hitraj 47

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Thanks dude, but I think everyone else is right about the integrated graphics. I've tried these as well as the lower dx level and nvidia settings to performance and still no luck.

Anyway, this topic can be closed, my replacement card is being shipped out, so I can go back to gaming at 200fps :D

Thanks for all your replies/