Linksys WRE54G Range Expander Trouble

i just bought a new Linksys WRT54G AP and WRE54G expander.

the AP works great, but when i plug-in the expander and hit the
"autoconfigure" button on it's side, the "link" light blinks red and
then blue, red and then blue...

i haven't tested to see if it's actually expanding my network in it's
blinking state, but i thought i'd post the question since i can find
no reference to blinking lights in any of the provided
documentation...

any help is greatly appreciated.

If you have a red light blinking, I don't think your connecting. Make sure
you disable WEP on the AP until you get it set up. I had trouble
configuring mine at first too. The Linksys support team worked well for me.
I've also found out that I placed mine nearer to the kitchen which was a
problem. The cordless phone and the microwave are both on 2.4 frequency. I
had to rotate through the available channels on the AP / and Expander to try
and get a channel that didn't get knocked off by the microwave or phone.
Unfortunately for me, it seemed the more secure channels didn't give quite
the same range, but overall it's a significant improvement on the other side
of the house. My AP is in an outside bedroom corner of the house and the
range extender is near the center of the house which gives me good coverage
on the second floor. I'd suggest you call for support.