I finally have a rig that runs Far Cry the way it was meant to be

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I recently bought a new PC and was fumbling about and found a copy of the Far Cry I bought a long while back. At the time I bought the game I had a AMD Athlon 2500 w/ 6600GT. The game for the most part ran poorly, so much so that I didn't get more than a 2-3 hours into the game. Anyways, 3 computers systems later (AMD 64 3200+ /ATI x850 XT --> 64X2 5000+ w/ ATI x1950 PRO --> Phenom 9500 w/ 9800 GT) and I finally remember that I should give the game another whirl.

I installed the 5 CD game, updated to AMD 64 1.32 patch and the extra content patch (adds HDR, better textures and extended LOD). I maxed all the setting excepted AA (which turns off HDR) and set the resolution to 1920x1080p and the game runs well. 150-200 FPS in doors, 50-80FPS outdoors, overall a smooth experience.

Anyways, I can't really remember what my reaction to the game was when I first played the game but, I don't think I was entirely impressed with the graphics. Seeing the game now, for all its worth the enivorments look oddly cartoony and static in comparision to say Crysis.

However, the game looks good enough and runs well enough to warrant an honest attempt at a play through. The one thing about the game though, it does kick my butt, todays game have made me weak with regenerating health and lack of real difficutly.

Just wanted to share this experince and see if anyone else has recently installed a PC game that crushed an older system of theirs only to run it absolutely flawless on their new machine.

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
and this is something we want to know.... why? That game is over 5 years old, no wonder it works great on your new pc. A 2 year old could figure that out.
If I install unreal tournament on my pc it works also with 200+ fps all the time but I don't post that here.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Although I love exploration I was somewhat bored with the driving in FC2. But, then I discovered the bus system, it is actually quite fun and I am enjoying it far more than crysis.

2shea - I care to read about his new PC and Far Cry more than I care to read your poor attempt at humor, which makes you seem about 11 years old.

zipzoomflyhigh - You just seem like a turd floating in the punchbowl that ruins a party. If FC2 is the worst game you have ever played, you obviously don't play much. What do you consider the greatest game ever? You sure offer alot of criticism for a guy running 4GB of RAM on Vista 64, that is definitely 100% not the way it's meant to be played.