Sign in with
Your question

capacitor breakdown

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2003 7:00:16 PM

I have been reading lately about the bad capacitor electrolyte issue and while I don't think it affects my systems, I noticed that these capacitors all seem to have a life expectancy fo 4K hours, which for systems that are left on continuously is only 6 months. We have some systems on our network approaching 7 years of 24/7 power-on which still work fine but some are starting to do strange things like rebooting themselves for no reason even if no one is touching them. Could this be a capacitor related problem? We have changed CMOS batteries so that isn't the problem. Any ideas?

More about : capacitor breakdown

April 4, 2003 7:08:49 PM

It could be due to any number of things, capacitors being one of them.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 4, 2003 8:48:48 PM

yeah... when comps get old strange stuff happends all over the place... if it's the caps you can easily tell by inspecting the board...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
Related resources
April 4, 2003 9:19:12 PM

Not always!

The only time they get all big and fuzzy is if they get overvoltage and explode.

I've been repairing stuff for a long time and I constantly run into electrolytics that look brand new but have 0 capacity. Over time the internal connections between foil and solder lead break down resulting in a part the looks OK but no longer does anything.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 5, 2003 1:13:08 AM

that could also be due to the fact that those pc's have collected dust over the years and it has slowly choked them and eventually after X number of hours or days running they overheat and restart.

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton savagely ripping 1306 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :) </b>
!