HDD Error

I just completed a clean install of XP Pro. The install went fine and
everything was working.I connected to the internet and went to Windows Update
and began d/l updates. When I got to the first time it told me to reboot I
rebooted and it wouldn't boot. It starts booting and the BIOS says:

Auto-Detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disc
Auto-Detecting Pri Slave...Not Detected
Auto-Detecting Sec Matster...ATAPI CDROM
Auto-Detecting Sec Slave...Not Detected

This is as it should be. But then it seaches for the boot record and can't
find it on either the IDE, the Floppy, or the CDROM

(it should find it on the Hard Drive as I just installed it there!)

Then I get the following error message:

Pri Master HDD Error
Run SETUP
Press F1 To Resume

When I press F1 it says:

RPL-ROM-ADR: 0007 955D 04A8
RPL-ROM-IRQ: 5
RPL-ROM-PIO: CC00

RPL-ROM-FFC: 5

Boot Failure

I tried setting the BIOS back to the CDROM as the 1st boot device and put in
the XP install disc.It will find it as a boot device and start running but
when it get to set up and asks if I want to install XP or repair it either
option I choose it says "windows did not detect any hard disc drives on this
computer"

So that's what's going on, My question is:

Is my hard drive kaput?I don't really have a problem getting another hard
drive and putting it in (nice time to upgrade since what I have is only a
20GB hard drive) but I don't want to put in a new drive and have the same
thing happen. Is there anything else that could be wrong besides a defective
hard drive or the IDE cable connecting it to the motherboard?

Sorry if this is a little long I wanted to try to give y'all as much info to
go on as I could
3 answers Last reply
More about error

    Could be a faulty BIOS
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290665

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "squirej" <squirej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just completed a clean install of XP Pro. The install went fine and
    > everything was working.I connected to the internet and went to Windows
    > Update
    > and began d/l updates. When I got to the first time it told me to reboot I
    > rebooted and it wouldn't boot. It starts booting and the BIOS says:
    >
    > Auto-Detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disc
    > Auto-Detecting Pri Slave...Not Detected
    > Auto-Detecting Sec Matster...ATAPI CDROM
    > Auto-Detecting Sec Slave...Not Detected
    >
    > This is as it should be. But then it seaches for the boot record and can't
    > find it on either the IDE, the Floppy, or the CDROM
    >
    > (it should find it on the Hard Drive as I just installed it there!)
    >
    > Then I get the following error message:
    >
    > Pri Master HDD Error
    > Run SETUP
    > Press F1 To Resume
    >
    > When I press F1 it says:
    >
    > RPL-ROM-ADR: 0007 955D 04A8
    > RPL-ROM-IRQ: 5
    > RPL-ROM-PIO: CC00
    >
    > RPL-ROM-FFC: 5
    >
    > Boot Failure
    >
    > I tried setting the BIOS back to the CDROM as the 1st boot device and put
    > in
    > the XP install disc.It will find it as a boot device and start running but
    > when it get to set up and asks if I want to install XP or repair it either
    > option I choose it says "windows did not detect any hard disc drives on
    > this
    > computer"
    >
    > So that's what's going on, My question is:
    >
    > Is my hard drive kaput?I don't really have a problem getting another hard
    > drive and putting it in (nice time to upgrade since what I have is only a
    > 20GB hard drive) but I don't want to put in a new drive and have the same
    > thing happen. Is there anything else that could be wrong besides a
    > defective
    > hard drive or the IDE cable connecting it to the motherboard?
    >
    > Sorry if this is a little long I wanted to try to give y'all as much info
    > go on as I could

    Just as a thought have you checked that the jumpers are set correctl on the
    back of the hard drive and, also, you might try resetting the BIOS back to
    default settings. You have obviously checked the ide cable and power
    connections?

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    "squirej" <squirej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just completed a clean install of XP Pro. The install went fine and
    > everything was working.I connected to the internet and went to Windows
    > Update
    > and began d/l updates. When I got to the first time it told me to reboot I
    > rebooted and it wouldn't boot. It starts booting and the BIOS says:
    >
    > Auto-Detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disc
    > Auto-Detecting Pri Slave...Not Detected
    > Auto-Detecting Sec Matster...ATAPI CDROM
    > Auto-Detecting Sec Slave...Not Detected
    >
    > This is as it should be. But then it seaches for the boot record and can't
    > find it on either the IDE, the Floppy, or the CDROM
    >
    > (it should find it on the Hard Drive as I just installed it there!)
    >
    > Then I get the following error message:
    >
    > Pri Master HDD Error
    > Run SETUP
    > Press F1 To Resume
    >
    > When I press F1 it says:
    >
    > RPL-ROM-ADR: 0007 955D 04A8
    > RPL-ROM-IRQ: 5
    > RPL-ROM-PIO: CC00
    >
    > RPL-ROM-FFC: 5
    >
    > Boot Failure
    >
    > I tried setting the BIOS back to the CDROM as the 1st boot device and put
    > in
    > the XP install disc.It will find it as a boot device and start running but
    > when it get to set up and asks if I want to install XP or repair it either
    > option I choose it says "windows did not detect any hard disc drives on
    > this
    > computer"
    >
    > So that's what's going on, My question is:
    >
    > Is my hard drive kaput?I don't really have a problem getting another hard
    > drive and putting it in (nice time to upgrade since what I have is only a
    > 20GB hard drive) but I don't want to put in a new drive and have the same
    > thing happen. Is there anything else that could be wrong besides a
    > defective
    > hard drive or the IDE cable connecting it to the motherboard?
    >
    > Sorry if this is a little long I wanted to try to give y'all as much info
    > go on as I could

    I have checked the connections to the HD -I even swapped it with another IDE
    ribbon cable that i had from another computer.The jumpers are all set the
    same as they heave been since the computer was new I have never made any
    hardware changes to the machine. I have gone in and checked all the BIOS
    settings and they are all what they should be,I did re-set the Bios to
    default setting and it made no difference. I'm about ready to just put a new
    HD in but don't want to spend the money and find out that it still can't
    detect it.

Hard Drives Windows XP