HP G85 printer - USB and Parallel

I have a HP G85 printer (scanner, copier, FAX)
and was hoping to be able to share the printer
via it's parallel and USB conneections....
- USB for a local PC
- Parallel for a wireless print server connection
Well, it seems that only one cable may be connected at a time....
even if it is physically not connected to a computer -
- bummer

Correct. Nearly all of the inkjet printers and PSC drives on the market permit
use of one and only one connection at a time between USB and parallel. If they
have parallel ports, that is. In addition, if you decide to switch connections,
you'll need to power off the device, insert a different cable, and power on. In
other words, when the printer "boots up", it checks the cable type.

Why not simply use it as a networked wireless printer shared by all?

..... Ben Myers

> Correct. Nearly all of the inkjet printers and PSC drives on the market
permit
> use of one and only one connection at a time between USB and parallel. If
they
> have parallel ports, that is. In addition, if you decide to switch
connections,
> you'll need to power off the device, insert a different cable, and power
on. In
> other words, when the printer "boots up", it checks the cable type.
>
> Why not simply use it as a networked wireless printer shared by all?
>
> .... Ben Myers

that's probably what we will do -
we had a desktop that was hardwired to the printer,
but that may not be a problem any more -