product keys

i recently had to format my hard disc thanks to a virus and on reloading all
my software i found that i have lost my product keys and cannot re-register
or activate does anyone have any helpful suggestions
2 answers Last reply
More about product keys

    How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > You had to FORMAT because of a virus..? *sigh*
    > First off - how did you install Windows XP without a CD Key? One
    > must have been entered for you to be able to get beyond that step.
    > Did you use some illegal key to reinstall?
    >
    > What type of computer is it?
    >
    > With most Dells, HPs, IBMs, Gateways, etc - you can find the Windows
    > CD Key stuck on the machine itself (side, back, etc.) As for other
    > software - those numbers should be in your system documentation.
    >
    > If it is something like a Dell, HP, IBM or Gateway and you did not
    > purchase the Windows XP CD yourself at some local store - chances
    > are you have an OEM version and you will have to contact the people
    > who sold you the OEM version of the OS for support. That is likely the
    > same for any software that came installed on the PC.
    >
    > If you bought the CD yourself for Windows XP from a local store and
    > it came in a nice box, etc - then you can try this for the OS and other
    > Microsoft Products - as long as you have proof of purchase.. Which if you
    > don't have the documentation with the key on it - the chances of you
    > having
    > proof of purchase is likely slim as well.
    >
    > How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or
    > hardware
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246
    >
    > Finally - prevent this from happening again - go through this list!
    <snipped>

    gus wrote:
    > thank you very much for your responce i found the advice very
    > helpful indeed the software was already loaded onto computer so
    > nothing corrupt happening i would just like to thank you very much
    > for such a concise and educational answer

    You are welcome. I do hope the entire post gets you where you want to be!

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Microsoft Windows XP