Fallout 3 (might be a stupid question)

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I just got this game recently and its awesome. But I'm having a problem on one of the side missions. I'm doing the part of the Wasteland Survival Guide for Moira where you have to plant the observer in the Mirelurk egg clutch. So I went to the place I was supposed to go to and found an egg clutch. But it gives me no option to plant the observer. If I search the clutch and try to drop the observe into it, it says I can't remove quest items.

I ended up just convincing her to stop writing the guide because of this. But even now it won't let me remove the observer from my inventory. I haven't installed any patches because I haven't been having any problems with the game except for the one described above. Am I just overlooking something stupid or is this actually a problem with the game itself that the patch might fix? Thanks for any help.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Man this isn't a good place for discussing games :heink: ..It's Tom's "HARDWARE"!..Visit Tom's games or other sites as Gamespot or IGN.
If you want a walkthrough to tell you how to implant the observer (which I did with relative ease about 2 months ago when I played the game), visit gameFAQ.com and search for Fallout 3.
Glad if it'll help you.

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yes, I realize what site I am on. But lets not forget that it *is* the PC Gaming section of the forum. I prefer to use tomshardware because overall the forums here seem to filled with quite knowledgeable people. And of course I looked all over the place at several different walkthroughs, but none of them seemed to address my issue. That is why I posted on here.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
OK.I saw your thread on the main page. From what I remember you have to go to their nest and find a place on the lowest level where "multiple" egg clusters are "immersed in water"..All you have to do is approaching one of these ( I don't know if it's a specific one or any one will do ) and "pressing the use button". You wromgly guessed that you have to drop the observer from the inventory. Instead the game will tip you to press the use botton once you approach the clusters.
Good luck.

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

Ok, I'm guessing that maybe you can't just use any egg cluster. Because that was the first thing I tried to do and no dialog box came up or anything like that to even give me the option of planting the observer. That's why I decided to try the other method. Apparently I just need to try different egg clusters. Like I said, at this point I've convinced Moira not to write the book, so this is all just for future reference if I decide to play through again (which I probably will). Still sucks that I can't get rid of the observer now that I'm done with the quest. Anyway, thanks for the quick replies!

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
You welcome.
Just make sure that you reach the clusters that are under the water. And I don't think that the observer has any weight to trouble you.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i don't think it has to be a specific egg cluster unless i got extremely lucky. i hit the "E" key like i would to pick up items and i had the option to place the observer in the egg cluster. (unless i remember incorrectly but that's how i remember it)

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

It has officially been solved. My girlfriend just did that quest today and it worked for her. I was attempting to place it in an egg cluster that was outside. She did hers inside and it worked with no problems. I figured as long as I was in the general vicinity and there were a ton of mirelurks around, it should work. But I was wrong.