MSI K7N2G-ILSR

your2slow

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2003
I just built a new computer with a MSI K7N2G-ILSR motherboard and AMD 2200 cpu. I also added 512mb of Corsair DDR400 ram. I've got an Antec PLUS1080AMG case with 4 80mm case fans. My problem is the bios tells me that the cpu is running at 50+ degrees C. I've read similar stories on MSI's forums, and was just wondering if anyone here had the same problem. Thanks

Ben

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You don't mention what HSF you are using? 50 degrees isn't way out of bounds, and is within the accuracy band of "normal". Is that 50 at idle or under load?

Best thing to do is to make sure you are using a good HSF and you have it mounted properly using thermal paste (not the pad that often comes with a HSF) Then, if the computer runs stable under load, don't worry about it!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

your2slow

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2003
Oh sorry that probably would be a useful bit on information. I bought the retail package with the AMD 2200 (3 year warranty is hard to beat) and I'm using the hsf that came with it. I used the thermal patch that came on it to begin with and then bought some Antec Silver Thermal Compound to use. When I took the heat sink off it was installed right and the cpu was hitting right in the middle of the thermal pad. I cleaned all that off and used the Antec which is supposed to drop the temperature up to 15 degrees C. It still runs the same temperature.
The highest I have seen my temps is 56 C which was right after running 3DMark2001. It doesn't seem to vary alot in temp unless it's under extreme load. Thanks for the reply btw

Ben

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
56 is the highest youve ever seen it? That seems pretty good... I dont know how the motherboard could be a problem with heat except the probe being too far away from the source... Hmmm. If it doesnt lock up or restart i wouldnt think there is anything wrong..

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this... been kinda busy!

I find it strange that moving to the paste didn't drop your temps any... What voltage does it say the CPU is running at? The XP2200+ is based on the T-bred "A" revision and should run very cool at stock speeds. I can't remember, but I think it runs at 1.5 volts doesn't it? Make sure your system isn't over-volting the CPU... that will generate a lot of heat fast!

Motherboard Monitor is a great little monitoring utility (free download) that you can put down in your system tray and keep track of CPU temps.

Again, if you see no instability, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have an A7M motherboard that habitually shows temps in the 50's ... I've learned to ignore it!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!