Windows 16 bit subsystem error fix

after a system crash and XP reinstalled i had the error message :
16 bit subsystem error
C:|WINDOWS\System32\autoexec.nt
the system file is not suitable for running MS DOS and microsoft applications.

I created a blank notepad and named it autoexec.nt and saved it. I then
copied it into My computer,C:,windows,system32 and pasted it. I then went to
the REPAIR folder in WINDOWS and copied the Autoexec.nt file. I then went
back into SYSTEM32 and pasted it over the notepad document. IT WORKED !! and
my system is working great.

Have you removed the trojan that probably caused the problem in the first
place?

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:779BABFD-A25E-4812-96D0-A12EF8F970F5@microsoft.com,
Steve Healey <SteveHealey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> after a system crash and XP reinstalled i had the error message :
> 16 bit subsystem error
> C:|WINDOWS\System32\autoexec.nt
> the system file is not suitable for running MS DOS and microsoft
> applications.
>
> I created a blank notepad and named it autoexec.nt and saved it. I
> then copied it into My computer,C:,windows,system32 and pasted it. I
> then went to the REPAIR folder in WINDOWS and copied the Autoexec.nt
> file. I then went back into SYSTEM32 and pasted it over the notepad
> document. IT WORKED !! and my system is working great.

Make it read only and the Trojan won't be able to touch it again. You might
also copy all your system and system32 file to a safety directory.