Computer/system will not boot/start

Computer is a Sony Vaio PCV-RS420
I replaced hard drive push start-Fans start nothing else.
Tried start-up recovery disc, CD will not start. Tried DVD slot, did not
start. Tried F2 nothing.
How do I get computer to start?
6 answers Last reply
More about computer system boot start

    Perhaps you did not attach the cables to your
    hard drive properly. Go back and double-check
    all your internal cable connections.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Richard R." wrote:

    | Computer is a Sony Vaio PCV-RS420
    | I replaced hard drive push start-Fans start nothing else.
    | Tried start-up recovery disc, CD will not start. Tried DVD slot, did not
    | start. Tried F2 nothing.
    | How do I get computer to start?

    Thanks, for asking. Yes, all connections are secure and correct. This is a
    blank HD that I'm trying to load my OS (Win XP)

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Perhaps you did not attach the cables to your
    > hard drive properly. Go back and double-check
    > all your internal cable connections.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Richard R." wrote:
    >
    > | Computer is a Sony Vaio PCV-RS420
    > | I replaced hard drive push start-Fans start nothing else.
    > | Tried start-up recovery disc, CD will not start. Tried DVD slot, did not
    > | start. Tried F2 nothing.
    > | How do I get computer to start?

    Open the BIOS and set your CD drive as the first bootable device.
    Insert the Windows XP CD in the drive and reboot. You'll see a
    message to "press any key to boot from CD...."

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Richard R" wrote:

    | Thanks, for asking. Yes, all connections are secure and correct. This is a
    | blank HD that I'm trying to load my OS (Win XP)

    Computer will not respond. Unable to access bios. Process used-Turn on PC and
    hold down F2 no display

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Open the BIOS and set your CD drive as the first bootable device.
    > Insert the Windows XP CD in the drive and reboot. You'll see a
    > message to "press any key to boot from CD...."
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Richard R" wrote:
    >
    > | Thanks, for asking. Yes, all connections are secure and correct. This is a
    > | blank HD that I'm trying to load my OS (Win XP)

    Can you get to the BIOS? Is *anything* coming up on screen at all (the
    P.O.S.T information etc)

    Does this new hard drive have an operating system installed, or is that what
    you're trying to do - install the OS from booting with the XP CD (with no
    response from booting from CD).

    Are your keyboard, mouse etc plugged in firmly?

    Make sure that your CD & HDD ribbon cables and power cables are firmly
    attached.

    check back

    "Richard R." <Richard R.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Computer is a Sony Vaio PCV-RS420
    > I replaced hard drive push start-Fans start nothing else.
    > Tried start-up recovery disc, CD will not start. Tried DVD slot, did not
    > start. Tried F2 nothing.
    > How do I get computer to start?

    Check your keyboard connection, if it's loose, that will account for the
    non-response from it.

    > Computer will not respond. Unable to access bios. Process used-Turn on PC
    > and
    > hold down F2 no display
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Open the BIOS and set your CD drive as the first bootable device.
    >> Insert the Windows XP CD in the drive and reboot. You'll see a
    >> message to "press any key to boot from CD...."
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    >> "Richard R" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Thanks, for asking. Yes, all connections are secure and correct. This
    >> is a
    >> | blank HD that I'm trying to load my OS (Win XP)

Computers Boot Windows XP