Video Switches during install

gsnorby

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2003
I am building a system for a friend, and have run into a huge brick wall. I can boot to safe mode but trying to boot to normal mode makes the little crawl bar show up then the monitor gives a flash and POWERS DOWN like there is no signal. THe hard drive keeps moving, and I know that the system continues into the boot, because when I type in the admin password, it sets off a flurry of disk activity, like it should. I am about nuts trying to solve this.
SYSTEM:
Intel D845PESVL
Kensington RAM - 1 stick DDR 512MB
Intel P4 2.53GHz cpu
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR (AGP)
WinXP Pro

Obviously, I am not able to install drivers, etc, until I can see the standard XP desktop.... AAArrrgh!
Any and all help DESPERATELY appreciated.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Go into safe mode and set your video to a display mode the monitor can handle... It's probably shutting down to protect itself from out of range signals.

You can always re-set the display later, once you have it working in normal mode.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

gsnorby

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2003
Good thought, but I already set it down to 640x480, 16 color Ugly Mode.
The monitor is a fairly new Viewsonic, should handle just about anything thrown at it....

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Is the monitor stable in DOS mode? (You can test this, even in safe mode, by opening a dos box and pressing alt-enter to get it to go full screen)

If it is... Try setting your display defaults to 256 colour and putting the refresh above the default of 60hz... say about 70 until you get into the main GIU and can set things up properly.

I've recently seen a couple of new monitors where 60hz is just barely supported... afterall nobody's using it much anymore.

With the on-chip video in my own system my KDS came up with "Out Of Range" and shut itself down during boot...until I got busy and put in an AGP card.

Of course, you will have to install the video drivers once you get into normal mode, if you haven't already.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

gsnorby

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2003
I got it fixed!
The one thing I hadn't fooled with was the aperature size in BIOS... Changed it from 64 to 128, and normal mode came up in all it's glory. Installed the drivers, and it's ALL good!

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions... This one had me stumped!