Computer slowing down when copying files

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have a question about copying files...

On my new laptop, I notice that when I am copying large files between
folders on my hard drive, it really slows (from estimated 5 mins to 40
for example) down when I am doing other things with my computer, such
as surfing the net or running media files. But looking at the
performance indicators (such as RAM and page file usage, and processor
usage), none of them look like they are maxing out. What is it that's
stopping copying files running at full speed when I'm doing other
stuff, and is there anything I can do to fix it? This never seemed to
be such an issue on my old win2000 desktop. I have checked for
defragmentation, viruses, spyware etc, and I haven't installed virus
scanners or anything else in the backround.
1 answer Last reply
More about computer slowing copying files
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    CM

    Are you copying or moving? The former combined with deleting may be
    quicker!

    Check that you have the Indexing Service disabled. Start, Administrative
    Tools, Services.

    How much RAM memory and what processor speed? How large is your hard
    disk and how much free space?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "CM" <chris.geller@angelfire.com> wrote in message
    >I have a question about copying files...
    >
    > On my new laptop, I notice that when I am copying large files between
    > folders on my hard drive, it really slows (from estimated 5 mins to 40
    > for example) down when I am doing other things with my computer, such
    > as surfing the net or running media files. But looking at the
    > performance indicators (such as RAM and page file usage, and processor
    > usage), none of them look like they are maxing out. What is it that's
    > stopping copying files running at full speed when I'm doing other
    > stuff, and is there anything I can do to fix it? This never seemed to
    > be such an issue on my old win2000 desktop. I have checked for
    > defragmentation, viruses, spyware etc, and I haven't installed virus
    > scanners or anything else in the backround.

Laptops Computers Microsoft Windows XP