Array Expansion Re Build ?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 11, 2004 8:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Hi
2 questions .

I have a 3 year old ProLiant ML 530, Xeon processor, 1 GB ram and 60gb HDD

What would the client / workstation ratio be for this server.. 100 PC's ?
200 PC's ? if all on the same time. a ball park figure..

2nd Question

This server has a drive array, yet I was informed that if I want to add an
extra drive of 20gb, that I would have to rebuild the server..

If I purchased a new ProLiant with 4 x 72Gb HDD's and server 2003 would I
have to rebuild the server like with the old ProLiant if I wanted to put an
extra 72gb drive into the array?

thanks

More about : array expansion build

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 12, 2004 1:55:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

As a general rule, the answer to your question is yes. Any time you add a drive
to expand a RAID configuration, the RAID setup needs to be rebuilt. There may
be some cleverly written utility software to expand a RAID setup on the fly, but
would you want to do so without backing everything up first? Once you've backed
up, what's the problem with reconfiguring the RAID array and restoring?

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:07:15 GMT, "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote:

>Hi
>2 questions .
>
>I have a 3 year old ProLiant ML 530, Xeon processor, 1 GB ram and 60gb HDD
>
>What would the client / workstation ratio be for this server.. 100 PC's ?
>200 PC's ? if all on the same time. a ball park figure..
>
>2nd Question
>
>This server has a drive array, yet I was informed that if I want to add an
>extra drive of 20gb, that I would have to rebuild the server..
>
>If I purchased a new ProLiant with 4 x 72Gb HDD's and server 2003 would I
>have to rebuild the server like with the old ProLiant if I wanted to put an
>extra 72gb drive into the array?
>
>thanks

August 14, 2004 2:37:01 PM

> As a general rule, the answer to your question is yes. Any time you add a
drive
> to expand a RAID configuration, the RAID setup needs to be rebuilt. There
may
> be some cleverly written utility software to expand a RAID setup on the
fly, but
> would you want to do so without backing everything up first? Once you've
backed
> up, what's the problem with reconfiguring the RAID array and restoring?

This is a DC and restoring the AD is a bit of a bugger
!