Sign in with
Your question

XP isn't on HD after installing

Last response: in Windows XP
July 20, 2004 11:38:05 PM

Hi,I am having some problems installing Windows XP Pro SP1 on an Asus A7N8X E-deluxe mobo with an AMD XP 3200+, 1 GB DDR, radeon 9200, 120 GB sata Western Digital HD and a 3.5 GB IDE Western Digital hard drive. My plan is to install XP on the 3.5 GB IDE drive, then use the 120 GB for any storage. I created a custom XP cd to install SP1, but neither that nor my XP cd seems to make any difference. I can get XP to install and it will boot up the first time. If I restart the computer it will say that there isn't an OS installed directly after installing XP. I have formatted and installed XP five times now. I figure the 3.5 GB HD might just have died because it is pretty old. My new plan is to install the OS to the SATA drive but I have never worked with SATA before. I know that I need a SATA driver and go throught the XP install as if I had a RAID setup, my issue is that I can't seem to find a driver that works. I went to ASUS website and dl/ed the driver. Then I put the inf on a floppy, but XP install just won't find the driver. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. There is a pretty easy solution to this but I just can't seem to find it. I am almost embarrassed to post about it but I need help and just can't figure it out myself. Sorry if this has been covered before elsewhere (I searched but couldn't find a thread).

More about : installing

July 21, 2004 4:33:10 AM

I am not an expert on this, but I would guess that what you need to do is go into the BIOS setup (hold down delete key during boot) and under advance options make sure that the 3.5G HDD is designated as the boot disk.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"
July 21, 2004 6:07:29 AM

are you having two drives in PC when installing XP? If so, please take the SATA out of occasion and put it back after you FINISH installing XP and ALL The progs you have to install. But before XP set BIOS to DEFAULTS, then after install and before SATA in.. boot 100 times with singel 3.5, make sure it is abel to boot, after you made sure it is fine.. boot another 100 (maybe one more time just in case;) and THEN connect other drive, but not enabeled in BIOS in any way, just enable SATA IDE controller as an existing entity. Boot 100 times, and IF you get stuck with second boot, disregard my super plan and ask some body else for another one ;) 

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 21, 2004 11:46:56 PM

Well dont't feel embarrassed to ask, in fact it is better to ask than make a horrible mistake in frustration.

Anyway IMHO the 3.5GB drive will not be big enough to install XP pro with all the updates and extra software that generally goes along with it, however if you don’t install anything other than windows updates to it you prolly’ will get away with it.

For the Sata drive you will first need to set up the <A HREF="http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...**&p_li=" target="_new"> boot sequence</A> (By holding the DEL key down at startup to enter the bios options, then in this case make your CD drive first then the sata drive also change the controller option usually in the same section to SATA not IDE. After windows is installed you can then go back and make the SATA drive the first or 2nd after the floppy drive.) , during the XP pro setup booting from the setup CD you will see the 1st option is to <A HREF="http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...**&p_li=" target="_new"> press F6</A> to install any raid or other drivers.
Use this option to access your floppy which you should have the un-zipped version of the<A HREF="http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#sataraidctl" target="_new"> driver </A>in question for you to select.

Other links.
<A HREF="http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=56" target="_new">WD120GB SATA drive specs. </A>

Good luck :smile:

* I would recommend you devide the 120GB drive into 3 partitions i.e. 10GB for Windows, 60gb for downloads and data and the last one the remainder of the space for backups and all important data. If the WD 3.5GB drive is still working you could use it as a temporary scratch/write to and swapfile or pagefile drive. I use Powerquest partition Magic 8.0 to do the partitioning either before installation of Windows or after which is prolly' easier for you. :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 07/22/04 08:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!