DL Program Questions....

Hi all, I have a few questions about dling programs such as AdAware,
Spybot, etc. First, when you have finished dling them and using them for
awhile is it safe to delete the setup files?
And if you would like save a program to disk would you first dl the
setup files to your desktop and then when opened save them to disk? Is
that the best way of doing it? My reason for asking is if I ever have to
to get all of my programs back, or simply have them "just in case" they
go south for the winter. LOL I figured saving to disk would be the best
way to save the hassle of dling them from the net again.
I'm sorry for the long post, but also please let me take this
opportunity to let everyone here know how much I appreciate all that
post here. I come here every day and have read every single post.
Although a few are still over my head, I have learned so much.... Many
thanks from a newbie....

Take Care; Marty

WinXP Home, SP2, MSN 9
9 answers Last reply
More about program questions

    What setup files? Do you mean C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE
    Personal for example??

    Any setup files would be in a temp folder and deleted.

    Save to disk. Create a folder such as My Download Files in My Documents and
    save everything you download in that folder. Then if you need to reinstall
    something you know where to find it.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3904-42069E9B-48@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net,
    martymkm@webtv.net <martymkm@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:

    On 06/02/2005 martymkm@webtv.net wrote:

    > Hi all, I have a few questions about dling programs such as AdAware,
    > Spybot, etc. First, when you have finished dling them and using them
    > for awhile is it safe to delete the setup files?
    > And if you would like save a program to disk would you first dl the
    > setup files to your desktop and then when opened save them to disk? Is
    > that the best way of doing it? My reason for asking is if I ever have
    > to go back to factory condition or do a SR I'd like to have the
    > easiest way to get all of my programs back, or simply have them "just
    > in case" they go south for the winter. LOL I figured saving to disk
    > would be the best way to save the hassle of dling them from the net
    > again. I'm sorry for the long post, but also please let me take this
    > opportunity to let everyone here know how much I appreciate all that
    > post here. I come here every day and have read every single post.
    > Although a few are still over my head, I have learned so much.... Many
    > thanks from a newbie....

    It's a good question that most people don't think about until it is too
    late.

    I don't keep any data at all on my 'C:' drive so at any time I can boot
    to the XP CD, format the 'C:' drive and re-install XP knowing my data
    is safe.

    I have partitioned mmy hard drive into 'C:' and 'D:' and I have a
    folder on my 'D:' drive called 'Data' and all my data is in there. I
    have also set this folder as the 'My Documents' folder so that all well
    behaved programs use it to save data.

    One of the folders within 'Data' is called 'Drivers' and all the up to
    date drivers I need for an install are in there. There is also one
    called 'Downloads' and anything I download goes there at the time of
    download. There is a further folder called 'Source' which is sub
    divided by manufacturer, so there's a Folder in it called 'Ahead' which
    has the Nero download in it, one called 'SmartSync' which has my
    SmartSync download in it etc. This s/w has cost me a lot of money over
    the years so I don't want to lose it.

    Consider your computer as an extension of your house - you keep the
    cutlery in one place, the food in another, stationery elsewhere etc.

    You may not want to make it this detailed but it would be a good idea
    to save everything you download and want to keep all in one folder.
    It's the file you download that you need to keep, if necessary you can
    use that to re-install a program.

    Needless to say you should also back up your data regularly, perhaps to
    an external hard disk or burn it to a CD/DVD.

    I trashed a 160GB disk during an install once, but when I'd finished
    cursing I just copied everything back from one of my backups.

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.3

    In news:3904-42069E9B-48@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net,
    martymkm@webtv.net <martymkm@webtv.net> typed:

    > Hi all, I have a few questions about dling programs such as
    > AdAware,
    > Spybot, etc. First, when you have finished dling them and using
    > them
    > for awhile is it safe to delete the setup files?

    Yes. It's your choice--either keep them, so you can easily
    reinstall them without downloading again, if it's ever necessary,
    or delete them. If you delete them, and ever have to reinstall,
    you'll have to redownload, but that's not a big deal.

    > And if you would like save a program to disk would you first dl
    > the
    > setup files to your desktop

    I would never download anything to the *desktop*. I think that's
    a poor place for downloaded files; it just clutters up the
    desktop. I use a folder I've created, called \downloads.

    > and then when opened save them to disk? Is
    > that the best way of doing it?

    Again, your choice. You can either download and then run or just
    run from the web site (that's really the same thing, but the file
    is downloaded to a temporary folder and not kept). If you're not
    planning on keeping the files, just choosing "Run" is good
    enough.

    > My reason for asking is if I ever have
    > to go back to factory condition or do a SR I'd like to have the
    > easiest way to get all of my programs back, or simply have them
    > "just
    > in case" they go south for the winter.

    That's why I keep them here. I have plenty of available disk
    space, and keep them so I can reinstall easily if ever necessary.
    But if available disk space were to become a problem, I'd have no
    hesitation in getting rid of these (or burning old ones to a CD).

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > LOL I figured saving to disk
    > would be the best way to save the hassle of dling them from the
    > net
    > again.
    > I'm sorry for the long post, but also please let me take this
    > opportunity to let everyone here know how much I appreciate all
    > that
    > post here. I come here every day and have read every single
    > post.
    > Although a few are still over my head, I have learned so
    > much.... Many
    > thanks from a newbie....
    >
    > Take Care; Marty
    >
    > WinXP Home, SP2, MSN 9

    But if I do a SR I would lose things dled after the restore point, or if
    I had to go back to factory conditions I would lose everything. What I
    am wondering about is having re-installing everything with the least
    amount of time and dare I say it?, work. What I'd like to do is save
    some of my programs to disk and if I need it just pop the disk in and dl
    from it. Am I clear as mud? LOL Or say a friend would call and say I
    need Spybot (as an example only) could you dl it to disk and bring it
    over, or say if I had two pc's and only wanted to dl it from the
    internet once, but wanted it on both machines how would or could I save
    it to disk?
    I have created a folder I named Security I put AdAware, Spybot, and the
    like on my C drive. I haven't dled anything else, no music, pictures,
    games, etc. into it just protection/preventative programs for my pc. Is
    this OK?
    What I have also done is created on my desktop a folder called Setup
    that holds all of the initial files to install the above mentioned
    programs. Is this OK too?
    Sorry for playing 1000 questions....

    Take Care; Marty

    Marty,

    I do not use System Restore and do not know much about it.

    How do you save other data that you don't want to lose from a SR or a clean
    install?

    My downloads are here...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\My Documents\My Download Files

    I backup C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\My Documents to CD once
    in a while. This, of course includes My Download Files.

    It isn't a good idea to have your Security & Setup folders on the Desktop.
    Put them in My Documents.

    Not sure that I understand completely.

    For example, I have Spybot - Search & Destroy Setup (spybotsd13.exe) in
    C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\My Documents\My Download
    Files\Spybot S&D.

    After Spybot S & D is installed it actually lives here >>
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

    The Start Menu location is here >>
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Spybot - Search &
    Destroy

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:21090-4206C20A-111@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net,
    martymkm@webtv.net <martymkm@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:
    > But if I do a SR I would lose things dled after the restore point, or
    > if I had to go back to factory conditions I would lose everything.
    > What I am wondering about is having re-installing everything with the
    > least amount of time and dare I say it?, work. What I'd like to do is
    > save some of my programs to disk and if I need it just pop the disk
    > in and dl from it. Am I clear as mud? LOL Or say a friend would call
    > and say I need Spybot (as an example only) could you dl it to disk
    > and bring it over, or say if I had two pc's and only wanted to dl it
    > from the internet once, but wanted it on both machines how would or
    > could I save it to disk?
    > I have created a folder I named Security I put AdAware, Spybot, and
    > the like on my C drive. I haven't dled anything else, no music,
    > pictures, games, etc. into it just protection/preventative programs
    > for my pc. Is this OK?
    > What I have also done is created on my desktop a folder called Setup
    > that holds all of the initial files to install the above mentioned
    > programs. Is this OK too?
    > Sorry for playing 1000 questions....
    >
    > Take Care; Marty

    My Spybot lives at:
    C:\Security\Spybot...

    and my AdAware lives at: C:\Security\AdAware...

    and my SpywareBlaster lives at:
    C:\Security\SpywareBlaster

    and so on... But what I am wanting to know about is how to save say
    Spybot to disk to have on hand when/if I ever have to go back to factory
    condition or do a SR that would erase it....

    Oh I forgot to add I have no other data that needs to be saved to
    back-up yet, all of it is on hard copy or stored in various third party
    sites.... I haven't quite made the jump from the Webtv to pc yet. I want
    to get a better handle on how files and programs are stored, manipulated
    etc. (Thus the questions about how to store programs to disk)

    Thanks; Marty

    I think maybe there is a little confusion. I'm sorry, my bad. When I
    wrote "save to disk" what I should have wrote was "save to CD". Is it
    posssible to save those type of programs (Spybot,AdAware, etc.) to CD?
    If so how?

    Take Care; Marty

    Marty,

    Download a file without installing it. Save it first, copy to CD, then
    install it.

    1. Locate a program (file) to download.

    2. Once you have clicked on a link to download, a pop-up box will appear
    notifying you that you have started the file download process. This box will
    either be titled File Download or Unknown File Type. Depending on the box
    that appears, click either the OK button or the Save button to proceed with
    the download process.

    3. A box will appear asking you where you want to save the file you are
    about to download.

    4. Locate a folder to save the file in. (Your Setup folder, maybe.)
    By default, it is downloaded to the last folder in which you saved a file.
    It is best to create a folder on your hard drive where you will keep all of
    your downloaded files. This will keep your file directory uncluttered and
    you will always know where to look for anything you have downloaded.

    5. Click the Save button. This will initiate the actual download of the
    file. A box will appear on your screen that will show the status of the
    download.

    6. Depending on what file type was downloaded, you will either need to
    decompress the file so that you can install the relevant components, or the
    file will be in a ready-to-install format. Either way, at this point, this
    is the file you want to save to CD.

    7. After the file is saved, copy it to CD.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:21091-420985D3-189@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net,
    martymkm@webtv.net <martymkm@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I think maybe there is a little confusion. I'm sorry, my bad. When I
    > wrote "save to disk" what I should have wrote was "save to CD". Is it
    > posssible to save those type of programs (Spybot,AdAware, etc.) to CD?
    > If so how?
    >
    > Take Care; Marty

Windows XP