saving HOSTS file

February 6, 2005 8:39:01 PM

i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i save it
without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

More about : saving hosts file

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:57:06 PM

In news:5E3E5CD2-8681-4159-87C3-36C0C719CE9A@microsoft.com,
keisuke <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt.
> can i
> save it without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

It's more than all right. It is a text file, and *must* be saved
as one, or it won't work.

However it must not be saved with an extension, or it won't work.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:17:17 PM

Are you using Notepad to edit /create the HOSTS file? Use double quotes
around the file name so that there will be no extension added. ( "hosts" )

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i save
>it
> without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?
February 7, 2005 6:35:01 PM

yes, i am using notepad. i tried to use double quotes but it makes a sound
and it wont allow me to, since it's a read-only attribute.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Are you using Notepad to edit /create the HOSTS file? Use double quotes
> around the file name so that there will be no extension added. ( "hosts" )
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i save
> >it
> > without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:04:08 PM

Close the HOSTS file that you've opened with Notepad
Open %Systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
Right-click HOSTS, and choose Properties
Uncheck the Read-only attribute.

--

> yes, i am using notepad. i tried to use double quotes but it makes a
> sound
> and it wont allow me to, since it's a read-only attribute.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Are you using Notepad to edit /create the HOSTS file? Use double quotes
>> around the file name so that there will be no extension added. (
>> "hosts" )
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i
>> >save
>> >it
>> > without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:01:02 PM

it works thank you!! by the way, would unchecking the read-only attribute
cause any security concerns?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:03:24 PM

Most users set the read-only attribute to prevent the HOSTS from being
modified by malware, but it's not a great technique. However, if you want,
set the RO attribute back after editing.

--

> it works thank you!! by the way, would unchecking the read-only attribute
> cause any security concerns?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:31:02 PM

i see i see.. thanks! :)