saving HOSTS file

i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i save it
without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?
8 answers Last reply
More about saving hosts file

    In news:5E3E5CD2-8681-4159-87C3-36C0C719CE9A@microsoft.com,
    keisuke <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt.
    > can i
    > save it without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

    It's more than all right. It is a text file, and *must* be saved
    as one, or it won't work.

    However it must not be saved with an extension, or it won't work.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Are you using Notepad to edit /create the HOSTS file? Use double quotes
    around the file name so that there will be no extension added. ( "hosts" )

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i save
    >it
    > without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

    yes, i am using notepad. i tried to use double quotes but it makes a sound
    and it wont allow me to, since it's a read-only attribute.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Are you using Notepad to edit /create the HOSTS file? Use double quotes
    > around the file name so that there will be no extension added. ( "hosts" )
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i save
    > >it
    > > without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

    Close the HOSTS file that you've opened with Notepad
    Open %Systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
    Right-click HOSTS, and choose Properties
    Uncheck the Read-only attribute.

    --

    > yes, i am using notepad. i tried to use double quotes but it makes a
    > sound
    > and it wont allow me to, since it's a read-only attribute.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you using Notepad to edit /create the HOSTS file? Use double quotes
    >> around the file name so that there will be no extension added. (
    >> "hosts" )
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >i want to save the Hosts file, but it makes me save in in txt. can i
    >> >save
    >> >it
    >> > without an extension? or is saving it to .txt alright?

    it works thank you!! by the way, would unchecking the read-only attribute
    cause any security concerns?

    Most users set the read-only attribute to prevent the HOSTS from being
    modified by malware, but it's not a great technique. However, if you want,
    set the RO attribute back after editing.

    --

    > it works thank you!! by the way, would unchecking the read-only attribute
    > cause any security concerns?

    i see i see.. thanks! :)

    You're welcome!

    --