Sign in with
Your question

Empire: Total War DEMO OUT Friday Feb 20th

Last response: in Video Games
February 19, 2009 10:25:14 PM

For all of us out there waiting for this game, the Demo is set to be released on Friday, Feb 20th!!!!!

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/42851

Quote:
I am pleased to report that our official Empire: Total War demo will be available via Steam from 4pm GMT on Friday 20th February.

Let loose the dogs of war! Ahahahahahaha!
February 20, 2009 4:24:15 AM

Yea, I just saw that was announced, can't wait to download and play, I hear its about 2 GB !
February 20, 2009 1:31:46 PM

Not too much longer now ;) 
Related resources
February 20, 2009 1:44:13 PM

About time, I am just about fed up with ROME TOTAL WAR, all the conquests and playing on line for a clan started to take its toll on me, but no matter how many times i kept saying I would stop playing that game I kept going back,
MED & MED II just never seemed to have that appeal to me for some reason,
I just hope EMPIRES will live upto the expectations I have, god they kept us waiting a long time for this to be released.
February 20, 2009 3:18:05 PM

Downloading now, at 92 %!
February 20, 2009 4:36:05 PM

Anyone got any idea just how long this download takes, seems to be taking ages on my pc.
February 20, 2009 5:01:31 PM

if u go by steam and have decent DL speeds, it is only an hour or so.

I LOVE THIS GAME! THE DEMO IS AMASZING!
February 20, 2009 5:03:58 PM

its going to take a long time i am downloading at 20 to 60 kb/s but steam keep stoping it
February 20, 2009 5:10:22 PM

Im doing it by steam and I normally have a great download speed, but this just seems to be coming down at between 40 & 50 KBs and sometimes it drops to about 15, Im only at 5% lol
by the time it as finished I will have grown a beard !
February 20, 2009 6:07:29 PM

Make sure your download region is set to whatever is nearest to you. That should solve the slow download problem. You can find it under settings> downloads>regions. It was pretty snappy for me...

It's worth the download though, the demo is quite good :)  When you first start the demo, be patient, as it can take a while to start up (it did for me, I thought the game froze but it just took forever to initialize).

Who knew broadsides could be so fun? :lol: 
February 20, 2009 6:18:44 PM

sus-penders thx man i live in the uk was downloading at 100kb/s top change it to east coast US now its at 510kb/s
February 20, 2009 7:25:34 PM

Glad it worked out for you!
February 20, 2009 9:06:09 PM

Sounds great!

Shame I can't log into Steam anymore; all the words in the icons have 'disappeared', and won't accept anything I type.

Tried re-installing, all that did was remove all my steam powered games from the hard-drive. Hmmm........thank god I bought all my games on dvd format, although god only knows when I can play my copies of the Half life 2 series or Portal <sigh>.
February 20, 2009 10:46:42 PM

Crusoe - tried formatting? Make a partition and put everything you want/need in there then reinstall windows. Should fix the problem.
February 20, 2009 11:26:23 PM

Hmm, having now played the Demo apart from the graphics looking ok Im really not sure why it was so long in been released, its not exactly mind blowing, I cant help feeling a bit disappointed by it, maybe it will grow on me but I think they could have done better with this game, for some reason I enjoyed the navel battle more than the land battle which is strange I thought it would be the other way round.
February 20, 2009 11:32:21 PM

I mainly just do the campaign and just auto all the battles so it was quite disappointing.

I like micromanaging >_<
February 21, 2009 12:47:39 AM

Dudes it took 5 hrs and i realized the default download region was on UK and i live in east coast US. i was already up to 89% until i realized and after i changed it it took 2 minutes to finish.dammmmm could've been playin hours ago
February 21, 2009 9:22:25 AM

Yea the default is strange, I live in the UK and the default was set for downloading from france WTF !, so I changed it to UK and that wasn`t much better, but then I changed to East Coast USA and for some reason I was getting 5 times faster download ,the demo was then downloaded with in 1 hour 30 min.
February 21, 2009 1:00:52 PM

jason73 said:
Hmm, having now played the Demo apart from the graphics looking ok Im really not sure why it was so long in been released, its not exactly mind blowing, I cant help feeling a bit disappointed by it, maybe it will grow on me but I think they could have done better with this game, for some reason I enjoyed the navel battle more than the land battle which is strange I thought it would be the other way round.

Well, don't forget that they've totally redone how the campaign map works (which wasn't in the demo), and have surely added other stuff to keep us occupied in the future. The game itself is supposed to be over 15 gigabytes (vs just 2 for the demo), so I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff in there that will make you happy ;) 

I personally enjoyed the land battle more than the naval, which was surprising as I thought it would be the other way around.

How did it run for everyone? I found it ran well (better than expected) on my ageing Athlon X2 3800 + HD4850 system, although the naval battle was struggling mightily on ultra quality settings. I think I'll be looking for a new processor soon, heh :) 
February 21, 2009 3:57:42 PM

Anyone else getting their asses handed to them in the naval battle? :lol: 

My first ship-to-ship battle was an embarrassment, to say the least. It turned into a big, jumbled mess, with my poor flagship getting the hell beaten out of it. You could generally track my battle performance by counting the number of holes in its hull (the poor thing looked more like a sponge than a ship before it sank!). Sending her in solo wasn't such a bright plan in retrospect....
February 21, 2009 4:37:24 PM

I thought this demo was incredible. The land battles have turned out different every single time I have played it. Sometimes America would advance on me, sometimes they would play defence etc.

I dont care for the naval battles.

THe game runs excellent, if you turn a couple of settings down from 'Ultra' to high then I get completely stable fps even during intense battles.
February 21, 2009 6:55:09 PM

Whats the max on the units ? I set the units to ultra and there was around 80 inf in each unit, is the demo just set to max 80 inf or will the full version on release have bigger numbers, I hope so Im use to having 200 to 240 inf in each unit on ROME TOTAL WAR.
February 22, 2009 8:14:57 AM

jason73 said:
Whats the max on the units ? I set the units to ultra and there was around 80 inf in each unit, is the demo just set to max 80 inf or will the full version on release have bigger numbers, I hope so Im use to having 200 to 240 inf in each unit on ROME TOTAL WAR.

The unit cap at 80 is misleading, the final will have larger unit sizes (lets face it, it won't have less then previous games), I suspect CA done this to artificially boost performance which misleads people who may think this is the actually performance they will get in the final game. I was getting 45 FPS (FRAPS) on average for the land battle on a C2D 2.13Ghz, 2Gb ram, 8000GT, with M2TW on the same high settings, huge units I got 15 FPS average.

Also the game isn't properly multi-threaded, quad core users have reported half their cores remain inactive and when I tested it on my dual core the task manager graphs didn't max out to anywhere near 100% which is very disappointing. Along with poor stability of the demo and misleading performance the demo has put me off buying the game.
February 22, 2009 9:36:57 AM

I agree even though the graphics look good, I think they could have pushed this game a bit more when you think what hardware is now available for gaming, and as for the CPU, I keep seeing this game showing that it will work better with i7,
but whats the point in splashing out $$$ when the game only needs a decent dual core, Im not saying this game is crap by no means, you wil still enjoy it and I do recommend it.
But I know alot of die hard people who play ROME TOTAL WAR on line in clans and Im hearing the same story, That there a little disappointed because they think this will go the same way as MED I & II and die out, because even though the graphics are better, the actual fighting is no way near as good as what you get on ROME,
its missing that magic.
but I think one thing could save this game and that is the campain map, because of its sheer size.
And just for the record I will get this game.
February 22, 2009 3:16:53 PM

I think those people are being a bit premature. I seriously doubt this game is going to be "dying out" anytime soon, and I think this is going to shape up to be the best total war game yet. Honestly, we haven't even played a full game yet and people are already thinking it's going to "die out"????

The era, the units, the sea battles, the factions; it's going to be so much more colourful than Rome.

As for the processor thing, I think that just goes to show everyone how difficult it is to code games (and programmes) to take advantage of multiple CPU cores. The battle to add more and more cores to processors isn't really reaping all that many benefits; 4 cores is more than enough for gaming. What we need now is SPEED.

In other news, I finally won my first Naval battle! Formations are your friend, people!
February 23, 2009 5:14:54 PM

Annisman said:
I thought this demo was incredible. The land battles have turned out different every single time I have played it. Sometimes America would advance on me, sometimes they would play defence etc.

I dont care for the naval battles.

THe game runs excellent, if you turn a couple of settings down from 'Ultra' to high then I get completely stable fps even during intense battles.

Thats one thing I noticed, I played the land battle about 8 times and each time the AI reacted differently (even though my opening moves were the same every time).
February 23, 2009 5:29:06 PM

jason73 said:
I agree even though the graphics look good, I think they could have pushed this game a bit more when you think what hardware is now available for gaming, and as for the CPU, I keep seeing this game showing that it will work better with i7,
but whats the point in splashing out $$$ when the game only needs a decent dual core, Im not saying this game is crap by no means, you wil still enjoy it and I do recommend it.
But I know alot of die hard people who play ROME TOTAL WAR on line in clans and Im hearing the same story, That there a little disappointed because they think this will go the same way as MED I & II and die out, because even though the graphics are better, the actual fighting is no way near as good as what you get on ROME,
its missing that magic.
but I think one thing could save this game and that is the campain map, because of its sheer size.
And just for the record I will get this game.

1. The i7 thing is simply advertisement, Intel paid them to display that. Has nothing to to do with whether or not you "need" an i7 to play the game. Same as the "nvidia: the way its meant to be played" on some games, doesn't mean its sucks with an ATI.

2. I whole heartedly disagree that medieval 2 "died out". I have Rome, medieval 2 and shogun TW. Have you visited any total war communities? primarilly twcenter, where you get that mtw2 is dead I have no idea, the 50+ mods that have been and are being developed for the game speak to the opposite. Have you played any of the mods for it? Some of them are so well done its like playing a new game (if you prefer the roman era, which I assume you do (I do too), there are 3 or 4 roman mods in development that look great so far). Maybe im crazy but i dont really see too much of a difference in the combat between rome and medieval 2.
February 23, 2009 6:15:42 PM

I understand what your saying user tsd16 and I never did the online gaming with MED I or II or really checked out the twcenter, I did play alot online with ROME and ended up getting recruited into clans, like CW before they died then I moved onto GoTW, but then I retired my self, but everyone use to tell me how MED died out when I use to be online, maybe I should have checked it out for myself and not take there word for it,
And the last mod I used was the Greek one for ROME which I think improved it alot,

Dispite what I said about EMPIRES I will get it, I shouldn`t be judging a game simply on the demo when thats only 0.1% of what this game will be able to offer.
So Im sorry for my comments, I take them back.
February 23, 2009 6:27:23 PM

Heh, no need to take anything back, this is just a friendly conversation :) 

I will say, though, that among my friends, Medieval 2 wasn't nearly as loved as Rome was. Take that for whatever it's worth I guess ;) 
February 23, 2009 7:07:07 PM

jason73 said:
I understand what your saying user tsd16 and I never did the online gaming with MED I or II or really checked out the twcenter, I did play alot online with ROME and ended up getting recruited into clans, like CW before they died then I moved onto GoTW, but then I retired my self, but everyone use to tell me how MED died out when I use to be online, maybe I should have checked it out for myself and not take there word for it,
And the last mod I used was the Greek one for ROME which I think improved it alot,

Dispite what I said about EMPIRES I will get it, I shouldn`t be judging a game simply on the demo when thats only 0.1% of what this game will be able to offer.
So Im sorry for my comments, I take them back.

I guess I cant comment on the online aspect, as I usually only play campaign mode single player. So as far as thats concerned it could be dead.
February 23, 2009 7:15:06 PM

Sus-penders said:
Heh, no need to take anything back, this is just a friendly conversation :) 

I will say, though, that among my friends, Medieval 2 wasn't nearly as loved as Rome was. Take that for whatever it's worth I guess ;) 

Which is why I probably converted Byzantium to a fantasy roman faction in medieval 2.
(I created a tutotial hosted on TWcenter on how to do this if you have Rome total war and MTW2) If I had some help I have contemplated completed overhauling mtw2 into Rome with better graphics. I would need alot more help, it took me forever to fully re create the Romans with just one faction, (faction symbols units/names unit cards descriptions and most of all model and unit editions about a month a few hours a day)(these are early screen shots before I started fleshing out the whole faction, was just testing models and skins)

February 23, 2009 7:30:32 PM

tsd16 said:
Which is why I probably converted Byzantium to a fantasy roman faction in medieval 2.
(I created a tutotial hosted on TWcenter on how to do this if you have Rome total war and MTW2) If I had some help I have contemplated completed overhauling mtw2 into Rome with better graphics. I would need alot more help, it took me forever to fully re create the Romans with just one faction, (faction symbols units/names unit cards descriptions and most of all model and unit editions about a month a few hours a day)(these are early screen shots before I started fleshing out the whole faction, was just testing models and skins)

That looks really cool! I'm aware that the MTW2 engine is an updated version of the RTW engine, so I'm hoping actually that Creative Assembly decides to revisit Rome with the new Empire engine, a sort of RTW2. All assuming, of course, that the Campaign map/AI is as improved as is being hinted. We'll see, though...
February 23, 2009 9:33:01 PM

The demo runs better on Core i7 then it does on Kentsfield and Yorkfield Quad cores, apparently the game only likes 'true quad cores' and people at TWCenter have reported that on non Core i7 quads the game only uses two cores whilst the other cores remain inactive and people who have Core i7 or Phemon CPU's are reporting high activity on all cores.

I've also found out Creative Assembly AREN'T using PhysX in the game and are using their own physics engine, which is a big blow for NVIDIA as Empire was meant to be the flag ship game for PhysX.
!