XP Home duplicating my files

I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install with the XP Home disc. I'm
starting to put stuff back on. While looking for something, I discovered
that I have 2 files called "MY Documents" and they are exactly the same. Why
is it duplicating them? Which one should I delete? One is at the beginning
right after the desktop and one is down at the bottom under Linda (name of
computer.) I can see them when I use the browse feature in PSP. I never
had it before I had to wipe it.
13 answers Last reply
More about home duplicating files

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:45:02 -0800, Linda wrote:

    > I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install with the XP Home disc. I'm
    > starting to put stuff back on. While looking for something, I discovered
    > that I have 2 files called "MY Documents" and they are exactly the same. Why
    > is it duplicating them? Which one should I delete? One is at the beginning
    > right after the desktop and one is down at the bottom under Linda (name of
    > computer.) I can see them when I use the browse feature in PSP. I never
    > had it before I had to wipe it.

    What you describe is normal. The one under your name in Documents and
    Settings is the actual folder. The one under desktop is another route to
    the same folder. It is known as a "namespace item." I refer to it as a
    system shortcut (created by the operating system, not by the user).

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Linda,

    That is a special folder, and you will see it repeated in several places -
    none of which can or should be deleted. They are all mirrors of the true
    folder located here:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents

    You will find one for each user profile on the system. The mirrors appear
    for whichever user is logged on.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install with the XP Home disc. I'm
    > starting to put stuff back on. While looking for something, I discovered
    > that I have 2 files called "MY Documents" and they are exactly the same.
    > Why
    > is it duplicating them? Which one should I delete? One is at the
    > beginning
    > right after the desktop and one is down at the bottom under Linda (name of
    > computer.) I can see them when I use the browse feature in PSP. I never
    > had it before I had to wipe it.

    I noticed these some time ago and assumed that they were there for a good
    reason - but why? Surely if the idea is to create a backup just in case a
    file becomes corrupted, the mirror file will also be corrupted during the
    "Save" procedure? Similarly, if a virus attacks a file, wouldn't it be able
    to attack the mirror file too?

    I do a backup regularly onto an external hard drive so feel as protected as
    I can be so far as this is concerned.

    What's the reason for these mirror files?

    > Hi Linda,
    >
    > That is a special folder, and you will see it repeated in several places -
    > none of which can or should be deleted. They are all mirrors of the true
    > folder located here:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents
    >
    > You will find one for each user profile on the system. The mirrors appear
    > for whichever user is logged on.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "My documents" folder is created for every user profile.

    "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install with the XP Home disc. I'm
    > starting to put stuff back on. While looking for something, I discovered
    > that I have 2 files called "MY Documents" and they are exactly the same.
    > Why
    > is it duplicating them? Which one should I delete? One is at the
    > beginning
    > right after the desktop and one is down at the bottom under Linda (name of
    > computer.) I can see them when I use the browse feature in PSP. I never
    > had it before I had to wipe it.

    I'm the only user on the computer. I'm going to have over 100 assorted files
    with graphics in them to use for Paint Shop Pro. Isn't this going to eat up
    my hard drive? Prior to crashing the computer, I had used up 40% of a 250
    something hard drive. I never saw 2 copies of all these files. The computer
    has my name and program is set for all users. Do I have to change it to my
    name only? If I uninstall Paint Shop Pro again, should I install it to be
    used by Linda only? I never had to do this before? Dell's support that is
    helpful is non-existent. They said to turn off AV programs and all Microsoft
    related programs and then computer would stop freezing. They said something
    in background from Microsoft was causing freeze ups. After I couldn't find
    half the files, I went back throught misconfig and restored them and found my
    files. I hate to reinstall so much when I'm going to have to do something
    drastic so everything isn't duplicated. Thanks

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:17:04 -0800, Linda wrote:

    > I'm the only user on the computer. I'm going to have over 100 assorted files
    > with graphics in them to use for Paint Shop Pro. Isn't this going to eat up
    > my hard drive? Prior to crashing the computer, I had used up 40% of a 250
    > something hard drive. I never saw 2 copies of all these files. The computer
    > has my name and program is set for all users. Do I have to change it to my
    > name only? If I uninstall Paint Shop Pro again, should I install it to be
    > used by Linda only? I never had to do this before? Dell's support that is
    > helpful is non-existent. They said to turn off AV programs and all Microsoft
    > related programs and then computer would stop freezing. They said something
    > in background from Microsoft was causing freeze ups. After I couldn't find
    > half the files, I went back throught misconfig and restored them and found my
    > files. I hate to reinstall so much when I'm going to have to do something
    > drastic so everything isn't duplicated. Thanks
    >
    > "Andrew Murray" wrote:
    >
    >> "My documents" folder is created for every user profile.
    >>
    >> "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install with the XP Home disc. I'm
    >>> starting to put stuff back on. While looking for something, I discovered
    >>> that I have 2 files called "MY Documents" and they are exactly the same.
    >>> Why
    >>> is it duplicating them? Which one should I delete? One is at the
    >>> beginning
    >>> right after the desktop and one is down at the bottom under Linda (name of
    >>> computer.) I can see them when I use the browse feature in PSP. I never
    >>> had it before I had to wipe it.

    The files are not duplicated. They are in your My Documents folder. You
    have multiple routes to those files, not multiple file sets.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Look at it this way: if I right click on a folder called "Documents" on
    drive C and then paste a shortcut to C:\Documents on my desktop, I will see
    exactly the same files whether I use the shortcut I created or navigate to
    the folder using My Computer. I didn't create a new set of files, I just
    created a shortcut to the folder containing those files. That's the same as
    the My Documents folder on the desktop or the start menu.

    "Linda" wrote:

    > I'm the only user on the computer. I'm going to have over 100 assorted files
    > with graphics in them to use for Paint Shop Pro. Isn't this going to eat up
    > my hard drive? Prior to crashing the computer, I had used up 40% of a 250
    > something hard drive. I never saw 2 copies of all these files. The computer
    > has my name and program is set for all users. Do I have to change it to my
    > name only? If I uninstall Paint Shop Pro again, should I install it to be
    > used by Linda only? I never had to do this before? Dell's support that is
    > helpful is non-existent. They said to turn off AV programs and all Microsoft
    > related programs and then computer would stop freezing. They said something
    > in background from Microsoft was causing freeze ups. After I couldn't find
    > half the files, I went back throught misconfig and restored them and found my
    > files. I hate to reinstall so much when I'm going to have to do something
    > drastic so everything isn't duplicated. Thanks
    >
    > "Andrew Murray" wrote:
    >
    > > "My documents" folder is created for every user profile.
    > >
    > > "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install with the XP Home disc. I'm
    > > > starting to put stuff back on. While looking for something, I discovered
    > > > that I have 2 files called "MY Documents" and they are exactly the same.
    > > > Why
    > > > is it duplicating them? Which one should I delete? One is at the
    > > > beginning
    > > > right after the desktop and one is down at the bottom under Linda (name of
    > > > computer.) I can see them when I use the browse feature in PSP. I never
    > > > had it before I had to wipe it.

    Hi,

    They aren't true mirrors. What you are seeing is multiple views of the same
    thing. There is only one true folder (in the file path listed in my initial
    response). The others are just shortcuts to that same folder. If you modify
    a file in any of them, you will see it reflected in all of the views.

    --

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    >I noticed these some time ago and assumed that they were there for a good
    >reason - but why? Surely if the idea is to create a backup just in case a
    >file becomes corrupted, the mirror file will also be corrupted during the
    >"Save" procedure? Similarly, if a virus attacks a file, wouldn't it be
    >able to attack the mirror file too?
    >
    > I do a backup regularly onto an external hard drive so feel as protected
    > as I can be so far as this is concerned.
    >
    > What's the reason for these mirror files?

    >> Hi Linda,
    >>
    >> That is a special folder, and you will see it repeated in several
    >> places - none of which can or should be deleted. They are all mirrors of
    >> the true folder located here:
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents
    >>
    >> You will find one for each user profile on the system. The mirrors appear
    >> for whichever user is logged on.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Thank you Rick, but what's their purpose?

    > Hi,
    >
    > They aren't true mirrors. What you are seeing is multiple views of the
    > same thing. There is only one true folder (in the file path listed in my
    > initial response). The others are just shortcuts to that same folder. If
    > you modify a file in any of them, you will see it reflected in all of the
    > views.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Convenience mainly. This folder is designed to be easily accessible to the
    user for storage of their files.

    --

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:55:44 -0000, Tosca wrote:

    > Thank you Rick, but what's their purpose?

    By design, there is usually a minimum of 3 methods to perform any one task
    in Windows (in this case, traversing to the My Documents folder for the
    current user). The built in flexibility accommodates a variety of work
    styles. A user may adopt one method or use whichever one is most convenient
    at the moment.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you Rick and Sharon.

    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:55:44 -0000, Tosca wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you Rick, but what's their purpose?
    >
    > By design, there is usually a minimum of 3 methods to perform any one task
    > in Windows (in this case, traversing to the My Documents folder for the
    > current user). The built in flexibility accommodates a variety of work
    > styles. A user may adopt one method or use whichever one is most
    > convenient
    > at the moment.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  13. Let's not dig up 7+ year old threads.

Windows XP