two firewalls

What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone Alarm as
well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other words, should I
completely trust the Windows firewall?
:O)
Cheers
Gilbert
10 answers Last reply
More about firewalls

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:33:18 -0000, gilbert wrote:

    > What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone Alarm as
    > well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other words, should I
    > completely trust the Windows firewall?

    Two firewalls is redundant and I have seen problems with having two
    running, although not often. If you want to completely trust one, get the
    latest version of ZoneAlarm as it is just as effective as the Windows
    firewall at blocking unwanted incoming traffic plus has additional features
    not available in the Windows firewall.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Use just ZoneAlarm.

    [[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software firewall
    from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
    A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home
    computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios.
    Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with
    connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall,
    whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different
    software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.]]

    Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:420727cd$0$32254$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net,
    gilbert <me2@privacy.net> hunted and pecked:

    "gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have
    > Zone Alarm as well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary
    > or, in other words, should I completely trust the Windows
    > firewall?

    No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.

    By running twofirewalls, you achieve no extra protection, you
    incur the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run
    the risk (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between
    them.

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx

    which includes the following:

    "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
    firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

    "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
    typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
    networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
    could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
    unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
    Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
    can provide substantial protection for your computer."

    Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
    version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
    the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
    with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
    Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
    third-party firewall.

    The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
    third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
    rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:33:18 -0000, gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone Alarm as
    >> well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other words,
    >> should I
    >> completely trust the Windows firewall?
    >
    > Two firewalls is redundant and I have seen problems with having two
    > running, although not often. If you want to completely trust one, get the
    > latest version of ZoneAlarm as it is just as effective as the Windows
    > firewall at blocking unwanted incoming traffic plus has additional
    > features
    > not available in the Windows firewall.

    Thanks for that.
    I'll go with ZA since the Windows Firewall didn't pass the leak test -
    see http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
    Cheers
    Gilbert

    > Use just ZoneAlarm.

    Thanks. Will do.
    Gilbert

    > No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
    <snip>
    > The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
    > third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping rogue
    > programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

    Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
    having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
    http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
    on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.

    >> No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
    > <snip>
    >> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost
    >> any third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic,
    >> stopping rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better
    >> choice.
    >>
    > Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
    > having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
    > http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
    > on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.

    You're welcome, Gilbert.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you use a Router/Firewall (for cable, DSL and dialup) you will be quite
    secure with the Windows XP SP2 Firewall.

    "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message

    > If you use a Router/Firewall (for cable, DSL and dialup) you
    > will be quite secure with the Windows XP SP2 Firewall.

    There is no such thing as perfection when it comes to security.
    You can be relatively secure, but never "quite" secure.

    Moreover, using a router adds practically nothing over what the
    built-in Windows firewall provides. You are still monitoring
    incoming traffic only, and I think it's therefore wise to use a
    third-party firewall.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >> message news:O60pgUUDFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>>

    >>> No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
    >> <snip>
    >>> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost
    >>> any third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic,
    >>> stopping rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better
    >>> choice.
    >>>
    >> Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
    >> having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
    >> http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
    >> on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Gilbert

  10. on my security center page it saids i have two firewalls the windows one that's on but that's all i know i downloaded zonealarm when i didn't know i had a windows firewall .how do i uninstall the zone and also could there be another firewall how would i find out?also does your antivirsus have a firewall

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP