two firewalls

February 7, 2005 11:33:18 AM

What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone Alarm as
well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other words, should I
completely trust the Windows firewall?
:o )
Cheers
Gilbert

More about : firewalls

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:33:19 AM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:33:18 -0000, gilbert wrote:

> What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone Alarm as
> well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other words, should I
> completely trust the Windows firewall?

Two firewalls is redundant and I have seen problems with having two
running, although not often. If you want to completely trust one, get the
latest version of ZoneAlarm as it is just as effective as the Windows
firewall at blocking unwanted incoming traffic plus has additional features
not available in the Windows firewall.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

February 7, 2005 11:33:19 AM

Use just ZoneAlarm.

[[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software firewall
from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home
computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios.
Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with
connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall,
whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different
software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.]]

Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:420727cd$0$32254$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net,
gilbert <me2@privacy.net> hunted and pecked:
> What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone
> Alarm as well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other
> words, should I completely trust the Windows firewall?
>> O)
> Cheers
> Gilbert
February 7, 2005 2:44:57 PM

"gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message

> What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have
> Zone Alarm as well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary
> or, in other words, should I completely trust the Windows
> firewall?

No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.

By running twofirewalls, you achieve no extra protection, you
incur the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run
the risk (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between
them.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewa...

which includes the following:

"Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

"A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
can provide substantial protection for your computer."

Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
third-party firewall.

The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

Please reply to the newsgroup
February 7, 2005 5:53:23 PM

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:33:18 -0000, gilbert wrote:
>
>> What are the known issues about using two firewalls? I have Zone Alarm as
>> well as the Windows firewall. Is it unnecessary or, in other words,
>> should I
>> completely trust the Windows firewall?
>
> Two firewalls is redundant and I have seen problems with having two
> running, although not often. If you want to completely trust one, get the
> latest version of ZoneAlarm as it is just as effective as the Windows
> firewall at blocking unwanted incoming traffic plus has additional
> features
> not available in the Windows firewall.

Thanks for that.
I'll go with ZA since the Windows Firewall didn't pass the leak test -
see http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
Cheers
Gilbert
February 7, 2005 5:57:52 PM

> Use just ZoneAlarm.

Thanks. Will do.
Gilbert
February 7, 2005 11:20:45 PM

news:o 60pgUUDFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
<snip>
> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
> third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping rogue
> programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.

Cheers
Gilbert
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:20:46 PM

> news:o 60pgUUDFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>

>> No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
> <snip>
>> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost
>> any third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic,
>> stopping rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better
>> choice.
>>
> Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
> having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
> http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
> on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.

You're welcome, Gilbert.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:20:13 PM

If you use a Router/Firewall (for cable, DSL and dialup) you will be quite
secure with the Windows XP SP2 Firewall.
"gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message

> news:o 60pgUUDFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>

>> No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
> <snip>
>> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
>> third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping rogue
>> programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.
>>
> Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
> having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
> http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
> on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.
>
> Cheers
> Gilbert

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:18:44 AM

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
news:o 534McxDFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> If you use a Router/Firewall (for cable, DSL and dialup) you
> will be quite secure with the Windows XP SP2 Firewall.

There is no such thing as perfection when it comes to security.
You can be relatively secure, but never "quite" secure.

Moreover, using a router adds practically nothing over what the
built-in Windows firewall provides. You are still monitoring
incoming traffic only, and I think it's therefore wise to use a
third-party firewall.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> message news:o 60pgUUDFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> No, you should use ZoneAlarm, and *not* the WIndows firewall.
>> <snip>
>>> The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost
>>> any third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic,
>>> stopping rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better
>>> choice.
>>>
>> Thanks Ken, I'd come to the same conclusion,
>> having used Steve Gibson's cunning little LeakTest
>> http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
>> on both ZA and Windows. ZA is more secure.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gilbert

November 23, 2008 12:30:59 AM

on my security center page it saids i have two firewalls the windows one that's on but that's all i know i downloaded zonealarm when i didn't know i had a windows firewall .how do i uninstall the zone and also could there be another firewall how would i find out?also does your antivirsus have a firewall
!