sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Just wondering if anyone knows if the thermal protection of the Soltek 75-FRN series, works properly?

The reason to why I'm wondering is that when setting the ABS II shutdown temp on my old Athlon XP 2600+, to 75 degrees, and started up Need For Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, and played for a few minutes, the computer never shut down, it just restarted. The CPU fan was still running, it was just a safetest to see what happened.

So isn't the machine supposed to shut down always? I'm running on an Athlon XP 3000+ today, and don't have the ability to try this, because the CPU never reaches 75 degrees ABS II, but does anyone have any experiences of what happens when the ABS II sets in, under different conditions?

Thanks.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
This is a tricky question, I don't think most people will stress the heat on CPU just to test whether the thermal protection is working or not. May be you can set the shutdown value at the very low temperature and see, but you may not be able to boot your machine in some case.
And the restart problem may not be a overheating problem. Do you have an error message telling you what went wrong because RAM, driver, unstability issues all cost restarting problem. Thermal protecton would shutdown your system but not restarting it. Restarting a CPU at the same high temperature only kills your CPU.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I only lowered the ABS II temp. I never disconnected the CPU fan or removed the heatsink, so it was a safe test. I'm just wondering why it didn't shut down, and just restarted. I know for sure that my computer restarted only because of the ABS II temperature. I used an Arctic Cooling Copper Silent TC CPU Fan.
Repetitive test only restarted the computer, and I could shut it down manually, and then restart it immidiately.

Any ideas?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
So it's kind of funny. But you just said your CPU never reach 75*C then it's a good thing because you never have to worry about overheating. Although it's "dangerous" to some circumstances, you shouldn'tworry about this very much.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>