Router and DNS server??

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
I just got a router so I can share my cable connection between two computers. However, now my DNS server isn't working because it is behind the router. How do I configure this to work??

Question 2: Computer A can see computer B on the network but computer B cant see computer A. Any ideas why this is happening?

Computer A is running Windows 2000 pro and Computer B is running Windows 98.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
enter the IP of the DNS server into the router config - the DHCP client machines will pick it up from the DHCP request from the router.

question 2: Can they ping each other?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
Where do I enter the address into? What router config?

Ok, I got them to be able to see each other now but when I double click on ComputerA from ComputerB it says:

//ComputerA is not accessible
No Permission to access this resource

I refreshed the Network Neighborhood and it still showed ComputerA but I still get that error message. I have TCP/IP, NETBUEI, and IPX/SPX installed on both computers too. On my Windows 2000 computer it says IPX/SPX/NETBIOS compatible and on my Windows 98 computer is only says IPX/SPX compatible. I doubt this is the problem but thought I should add that.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by travbrad1001 on 07/11/02 03:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Where do I enter the address into? What router config?
what router?

You'll have to log into the 98 machine with a valid username and password that exists on the 2K machine.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Question 2: You have to share something on both computers (or at least enable file sharing in network properties). If that doesn't work then your problem sounds just like mine, thread: Networking Oddity?!

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
So I need to create a user on my Windows 2000 machine and then when I log onto the network use that username and password on my Windows 98 machine??

I tried logging in on my Win98 machine with my Windows2K username and password and it worked. Then When I clicked on ComputerA from ComputerB. It said this:

//Travbrad is not accessible
This device does not exist on the network

I refreshed and I can see Travbrad. But it still says it doesn't exist!

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
OKAY, Ive pretty much concluded that I wont be able to do anything with Windows 98 installed so I am going to install Windows 2000 on my computer that currently has Win98.

I STILL AM LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO QUESTION 1.
How do I configure my DNS server so people online can see it?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OKAY, Ive pretty much concluded that I wont be able to do anything with Windows 98 installed so I am going to install Windows 2000 on my computer that currently has Win98.
good decision!

I STILL AM LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO QUESTION 1.
How do I configure my DNS server so people online can see it?
STILL LOOKING FOR THE ANSWER TO WHAT MODEL ROUTER

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
Sorry, I got a DNS server up and running now and put up a crappy little website. Now I still have one problem though. I cant view the website myself. The address is http://travbrad.dyndns.org and I cant view it from either computer on my network. I can view the site from 2 of my friends houses though for some reason. I made an update to the site and then went to it on my friends computer and saw that the update was there. Why cant I view it from my LAN though??

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
is the DNS server working properly? Do the client machines have the address?

What is the error you get when you try to access that page? Can you access other web sites without a problem from the same machine?

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
Yes, the machines on the LAN I try to access the server from can view other websites just fine. They just cant see travbrad.dyndns.org for some reason. Two of my friends can see the site from their house though for some reason.

I also know they are not just viewing a cached page because I make an update to the website and had them tell me what it said over the phone.

Iseekknowledge

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
what is your DNS settings in your foward look up zone, do you have a entry for your web site in DNS for your lan and do you have a foward to your isp DNS servers?(what is providing your DNS server service)

TRENDING THREADS