Wireless-A Ethernet Bridge

Are there any ethernet-to-wireless bridge converter that works in
802.11a?

(Sorry for my english)

----------------------------
Def - Invertebrado
----------------------------
Miembro fundador del ICI (Ilustrísimo Comité Invertebrado)
Miembro fundador de la plataforma PACO CAMADAZA COMENTARISTA DE CANAL 9 YA!!!!
El genuino escudo del Balensia --> http://webs.ono.com/usr001/arperant/escudobalensia.jpg
ANTIBALENSIANISTA POR SIEMPRE!!!
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless ethernet bridge

    In article <q79bj0da3l9c3ut4dvnaquhjr9akhmrv44@4ax.com>,
    Def <defjudas@worldonline.es> wrote:

    >Are there any ethernet-to-wireless bridge converter that works in
    >802.11a?

    Yes - the Proxims sold at http://www.centrix-intl.com/ - search for
    "8570". You may have to get a firmware upgrade from Proxim to get them
    working, though. (Or, e-mail me for it if you get no luck from them -
    I may still have it around.)

    I wish more access points worked more like transparent bridges than
    routers. ): The more complex the firmware is, the more bugs there are
    for me to find.

    -- Mark

    On 01 Sep 2004 13:07:32 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll
    <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    >Yes - the Proxims sold at http://www.centrix-intl.com/ - search for
    >"8570". You may have to get a firmware upgrade from Proxim to get them
    >working, though. (Or, e-mail me for it if you get no luck from them -
    >I may still have it around.)
    >
    >I wish more access points worked more like transparent bridges than
    >routers. ): The more complex the firmware is, the more bugs there are
    >for me to find.

    Sorry, I think I was not clear enough... I'm really trying to find an
    Ethernet to Wireless converter (not a bridge), like a Linksys
    Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, but working under 802.11a

    Sorry for my english one more time :-)

    ----------------------------
    Def - Invertebrado
    ----------------------------
    Miembro fundador del ICI (Ilustrísimo Comité Invertebrado)
    Miembro fundador de la plataforma PACO CAMADAZA COMENTARISTA DE CANAL 9 YA!!!!
    El genuino escudo del Balensia --> http://webs.ono.com/usr001/arperant/escudobalensia.jpg
    ANTIBALENSIANISTA POR SIEMPRE!!!

    Def <defjudas@worldonline.es> wrote:
    > Sorry, I think I was not clear enough... I'm really trying to find an
    > Ethernet to Wireless converter (not a bridge), like a Linksys
    > Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, but working under 802.11a

    What about something like the Orinoco Ethernet Converter?
    This connects ethernet to a PCMCIA card. It only lists the Orinoco
    Classic, but maybe an A card will work.
    http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/ec/index.html

    --
    ---

    In article <tngbj0504ejg46rf74pbsuu0gngc0ba20r@4ax.com>,
    Def <defjudas@worldonline.es> wrote:
    (snip)
    >Sorry, I think I was not clear enough... I'm really trying to find an
    >Ethernet to Wireless converter (not a bridge), like a Linksys
    >Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, but working under 802.11a
    (snip)

    I didn't quite have your application in mind, but I don't immediately
    see why what I suggested wouldn't work for it.

    -- Mark

    Mark Carroll <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    > I didn't quite have your application in mind, but I don't immediately
    > see why what I suggested wouldn't work for it.

    The companion piece. He wants an 802.11a client to ethernet adapter.
    I see PCMCIA and PCI, but no USB, and no ethernet.

    I think he wants a Linksys WET54"A", and but there is only WET54G.

    The WMP55AG would work if he had a PCI slot.
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=526

    --
    ---

    Def,

    3Com will begin shipping a Ethernet to 802.11 a/b/g converter beginning mid
    September. Part number is 3CRWE675075. More information can be found on the
    3Com web site at:

    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE675075

    Grant
    (Yes, I work for 3Com)

    In article <ch4lt1$koi$1@blue.rahul.net>,
    <dold@Wireless-A.usenet.us.com> wrote:
    >Mark Carroll <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    >> I didn't quite have your application in mind, but I don't immediately
    >> see why what I suggested wouldn't work for it.
    >
    >The companion piece. He wants an 802.11a client to ethernet adapter.
    >I see PCMCIA and PCI, but no USB, and no ethernet.
    (snip)

    Ah. I was curious as to what the difference is between clients and
    base stations. (-: The 8570 will repeat things from one client to
    another, but I guess that other base stations can't associate with
    each other as clients, so it wouldn't be useful.

    -- Mark

    > Are there any ethernet-to-wireless bridge converter that works in
    > 802.11a?

    For point-to-point bridging of two ethernet LANs wirelessly,
    Airaya comes to mind, although my understanding is that
    Airaya isn't exactly 802.11a but a proprietary mutation
    thereof.

    Also, for some reason, Airaya uses 5.25-5.35 GHz, instead
    of the 5.725-5.8xx GHz range that I understand allows higher
    power.

    Who else makes 5.x GHz bridges like Airaya?

Wireless Ethernet Card Wireless Networking