transferring my computer to a new user

How do I save all of my files and clean it fro transfer to a new user

Byte

Copy&paste all personal files such as photos, documents and downloads to
a CD. When done, format the harddrive. You must give the WindowsXP
installation disk with the PC to the new user, especially if your selling it.

"centerfirst" <centerfirst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I save all of my files and clean it fro transfer to a new user

Use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" in Windows XP to save
your data files and program configuration settings to a removable
backup device (e.g. CDRW drive, tape backup, etc) or to a network
drive.

Then when you have your new computer set up you can use FASTW again to
import the saved information.

See MVP Gary Woodruff's article on using FASTW at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Note that if you have important data you probably want to make a
second backup using a different procedure (e.g. copy the files using
Windows Explorer) just to be doubly safe.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP