Computer Help, Yes Again

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 28, 2005 3:10:10 PM

The CD Drive on my old computer fried out last night. It started making very
strange noises and now it doesn't work anymore. I could easily replace it,
but since I only use it for playing D2/LoD I was wondering id there was a
utility/hack that I could use to be able to play without the CD? I could
load anything I need from the game CD using the drive on another machine on
the network. As usual, explicit, step by step instructions would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

More about : computer

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:10:11 PM

Bongo,

If there were a simple hack, besides the Virtual CD program I mentioned
last night everybody here would probably have it already. Who the hell
wants to have to put a CD in the drive everytime they play. What a pain
in the ass AFAIC.

You are at a point now where even if you have Virtual CD, you would not
be able to copy the Diablo CD to your harddrive. In Virtual CD, your
harddrive/memory has "fake" CD drives built into it. The PC and Diablo
program is fooled into thinking that the Diablo CD is in a legitimate
CD drive. At our house we no longer have to put the CD in the drive.

However there is something you can do I realised. You can get an
external CD drive and hook it up to your USB port. I think there are
also external CD drives that hook up to what looks like a small printer
port in the back of the PC, or maybe it is the printer port. An
external drive is cheap and easy. If you buy one you have to make sure
that it can hook up to the older type of USB port that is on your PC.

An external CD drive would be easier than replacing your CD drive. If
that PC is only being used to play Diablo with your second
character/mule/chanter/BO barb then you will do fine with the external
CD. Others will confirm this if it is tru and I think it is.

When the external CD drive is hooked up and has the D2 CD in it, when
you try to start the dD2 game a message box might pop up telling you it
cannot find the CD in the C: drive (if it can even get past trying to
read it). If you click "retry" or "cancel", I forget which, then the
program will then try to look in the next CD drive which will be your
external CD drive (probably the D: drive) and find it and then start
up. I have to do this on one of our PCs for some reason even with the
Virtual CD program built in.

If I left out anything or if there are other possibilities mixed in
with mine I am sure someone will mention it. At this time I think the
external drive is the easist solution for you. And if it does not work
you can probably return it which is always good. Hell you might even be
able to buy a used one very cheap if you find one at a PC store.
Considering the limited use you have in mind for it this might be a
very viable way to go.

Hope things work well for you. We must comtinue to kill the minions of
Diablo.

CD drives live forever or die trying. Your CD drive died trying.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:10:11 PM

Mark wrote:
> The CD Drive on my old computer fried out last night. It started
making very
> strange noises and now it doesn't work anymore. I could easily
replace it,
> but since I only use it for playing D2/LoD I was wondering id there
was a
> utility/hack that I could use to be able to play without the CD? I
could
> load anything I need from the game CD using the drive on another
machine on
> the network. As usual, explicit, step by step instructions would be
greatly
> appreciated.

Clone CD, Daemon Tools.

Use Clone CD to make an image of the CD. This image will be in the form
of:

EXPANSION.MDS

Use Daemon tools to load the image. Daemon tools creates a virtual CD
drive, and as soon as you mount that image, you will see the start-up
screen for Diablo.

The only problem here is that you need to be able to read the CD to
create the image. Said image is about 650 MB, so you need lots of HDD
for it. If you have a second comp that is connected to the comp with
the now defncu CD drive, you can make the image on that machine and
copy it over via peer-2-peer or network connection.

HTH,

Mickey
April 28, 2005 3:10:11 PM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Mickey wrote:
> > Mark wrote:
> >> The CD Drive on my old computer fried out last night. It started
> >> making very strange noises and now it doesn't work anymore. I
could
> >> easily replace it, but since I only use it for playing D2/LoD I
was
> >> wondering id there was a utility/hack that I could use to be able
> >> play without the CD? I could load anything I need from the game CD
> >> using the drive on another machine on the network. As usual,
> >> explicit, step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Clone CD, Daemon Tools.
> >
> > Use Clone CD to make an image of the CD. This image will be in the
> > form of:
> >
> > EXPANSION.MDS
> >
> > Use Daemon tools to load the image. Daemon tools creates a virtual
CD
> > drive, and as soon as you mount that image, you will see the
start-up
> > screen for Diablo.
> >
> > The only problem here is that you need to be able to read the CD to
> > create the image. Said image is about 650 MB, so you need lots of
HDD
> > for it. If you have a second comp that is connected to the comp
with
> > the now defncu CD drive, you can make the image on that machine and
> > copy it over via peer-2-peer or network connection.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Mickey
>
> Yep, what Mickey said. That's exactly what I did. saved all that
annoying
> CD-whine sound. I ripped the image on the machine I used it on but
there's
> no reason you can't do it on another and transfer it across the LAN.

Yup, a great methodology. I use it with all programs that require a CD.
I do this for three reasons. The first is to avoid the exact issue Mark
is having, the second is what you said, and the third is that this way,
I am never subject to the really annoying issue of having a scratched
or worn out CD. I use the CDs once and only once. I have taken to
mount them. This causes no conflicts, as the CD key that is used is
read from one of the MPQs that is created when you first load the
software. The CD itself can be used on any machine, and not cause a
bnet conflict.

Mickey
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:30:52 PM

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bongo,
>
> If there were a simple hack, besides the Virtual CD program I mentioned
> last night everybody here would probably have it already. Who the hell
> wants to have to put a CD in the drive everytime they play. What a pain
> in the ass AFAIC.
>
> You are at a point now where even if you have Virtual CD, you would not
> be able to copy the Diablo CD to your harddrive. In Virtual CD, your
> harddrive/memory has "fake" CD drives built into it. The PC and Diablo
> program is fooled into thinking that the Diablo CD is in a legitimate
> CD drive. At our house we no longer have to put the CD in the drive.
>
> However there is something you can do I realised. You can get an
> external CD drive and hook it up to your USB port. I think there are
> also external CD drives that hook up to what looks like a small printer
> port in the back of the PC, or maybe it is the printer port. An
> external drive is cheap and easy. If you buy one you have to make sure
> that it can hook up to the older type of USB port that is on your PC.

No USB at all on a Windows NT box. Legacy all the way, man!

On my old systems, I just added a second CD drive to hold the Diablo disk
and just left it there. (If he really needs a new drive, I can mail one out.
I've got a few dozen gathering dust in the cabinets.)
--
Zamboni
April 30, 2005 2:08:43 AM

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Clone CD, Daemon Tools.

Thanks for the advise. I got the Clone CD and made an image of my play disc.
But I couldn't get Daemon Tools to work. So I deleted it and downloaded it
again. Again I couldn't get it to work for the life of me. Nor on the third
try.

<hangs head in shame>
So I downloaded d2hackit and used the noCD hack. Unfortunately, it works
perfectly.
Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
May 1, 2005 4:28:31 AM

Mark wrote:
> So I downloaded d2hackit and used the noCD hack. Unfortunately, it
works
> perfectly.
> Mea culpa, mea culpa.
>
> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury

I am quite certain that this program replaces the original .exe
file(s). It is actually not too hard for someone with Assembly
knowledge to edit diablo.exe to bypass the CD check. Please know that
game patches scan for this executable file, so when this original file
cannot be found, the patch will fail. If it is what I suspected, I
hope you save your original diablo.exe file and perhaps the other .exe
files, otherwise you'll need to reinstall the game if Blizzard releases
a new patch.

Also, please be wary if the new file(s) that comes from the program
that you use have significantly different file size than the original
file(s) that it replaces. Unfortunately, definition of "significantly
different" is very gray. There are some geniuses out there that can
slip in some major things, including very nasty ones, with only few
lines of codes. If you downloaded this program from a P2P client, you
have a lot of reason to worry about. If you downloaded it from a
website specializes in hacks, read the user comments if such forum is
available. For the latter case, run spyware scanner now if you haven't
already :)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:21:20 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:10:10 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote:

>> The CD Drive on my old computer fried out last night. It started making very
>> strange noises and now it doesn't work anymore. I could easily replace it,
>> but since I only use it for playing D2/LoD I was wondering id there was a
>> utility/hack that I could use to be able to play without the CD? I could
>> load anything I need from the game CD using the drive on another machine on
>> the network. As usual, explicit, step by step instructions would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Regards-
>> Mark
>>
>> Bongo-Fury

Step 1: BlindWrite (you can use the evaluator, I bought the thing)
Make an image of the CD on a hard drive. Alcohol 12% is
also highly recommended by the folks who use it.
Step 2: Daemon-tools (freeware) This allows several computers to
use the same image created by BlindWrite.
Step 3: Make sure you enable the Emulations options, they understand
the "copy protected" jazz.
Step 4: mount the "*.bwt" (tiny file) not the huge ISO (which still
must exist.
Step 5 Put the CD in the fire safe and forget about it.

This works for Local, LAN, Battle.net, Open BNet, and Chaos Empire.

NoCD doesn't work on Chaos Empire.
!