New computer

I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
with SP2
I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1 &
SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

The more memory you can afford the better(I run 1 gig of memory)
No problem so far with sp2
If you plan to use the new computer for a small business then go with xp-pro
xp-pro gives you more options for security and overall protection
as soon as you get the new computer go to microsoft and check for updates
I down loaded the microsoft antispyware beta and it works great
make sure you have a good virus protection program I like AVG from grisoft,
not only is it free, but it also provides e-mail protection.
Why a Gateway? May want to consider dell.

My system:
p-4 2.5 overclocked to 3.0ghz
1 gig ddr-sdram
ati radeon 256 mg video
audigy 24 bit sound card
windows xp home
dual dvd double layer burners
160 gig hard drive

"walt" wrote:

> I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
> Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
> 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
> Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
> advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
> off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
> with SP2
> I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1 &
> SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

I know I have heard horror stories about both. I have a Gateway now and have
not had any problems. Just time to upgrade to something better. I am going
for the 1gig
Thanks for the input.

"ibm clone" wrote:

> The more memory you can afford the better(I run 1 gig of memory)
> No problem so far with sp2
> If you plan to use the new computer for a small business then go with xp-pro
> xp-pro gives you more options for security and overall protection
> as soon as you get the new computer go to microsoft and check for updates
> I down loaded the microsoft antispyware beta and it works great
> make sure you have a good virus protection program I like AVG from grisoft,
> not only is it free, but it also provides e-mail protection.
> Why a Gateway? May want to consider dell.
>
> My system:
> p-4 2.5 overclocked to 3.0ghz
> 1 gig ddr-sdram
> ati radeon 256 mg video
> audigy 24 bit sound card
> windows xp home
> dual dvd double layer burners
> 160 gig hard drive
>

> "walt" wrote:
>
> > I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
> > Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
> > 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
> > Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
> > advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
> > off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
> > with SP2
> > I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1 &
> > SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

Hi,

SP2 is all about security. The firewall is much improved as far as user
functionality is concerned. More on this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Also, unless you have need for it, there is no reason to purchase WinXP Pro.
The core operating system is the same. Differences:

- WinXP Pro will allow 10 inbound connections, Home only 5
- Pro has policy editors (useful in a corporate environment)
- Pro has IIS (useful if you build server apps)
- Pro can become part of a domain (another corporate use)
- Both use simple file sharing by default, but it can only be disabled in
Pro
- Firewall and file security between users is the same
- Encrypted file system is only available in Pro

If you need any of the benefits of a Pro system, then go with it. Otherwise,
most home users are happy with XP Home. More details:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

More memory? Do you need it? 512MB is usually plenty for an average user.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"walt" <walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
> Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
> 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
> Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
> advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
> off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work
> well
> with SP2
> I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1
> &
> SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreicate it, and thanks for the links.

walt wrote:

>I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
>Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
>512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
>Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
>advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it.

That should be adequate memory for general use; people who do a lot of
heavy graphics; video editing etc need more. Check on your own work
pattern after you have settled down; go to
www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
and use it to see how much page file you actually use. Under 100 MB is
unlikely to show much benefit over 512 MB, and more than that gives a
guide to how much more RAM will help.

>(like take all the junk
>off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
>with SP2

Yes. And make sure you have a decent AV around too (eg AVG 7 free, or
say e-trust)

Wait a bit and see if you *use* the extras provided, if you don't then
is the time to uninstall them

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

"Alex Nichol" wrote:

> walt wrote:
>
> >I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
> >Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
> >512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
> >Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
> >advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it.
>
> That should be adequate memory for general use; people who do a lot of
> heavy graphics; video editing etc need more. Check on your own work
> pattern after you have settled down; go to
> www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
> and use it to see how much page file you actually use. Under 100 MB is
> unlikely to show much benefit over 512 MB, and more than that gives a
> guide to how much more RAM will help.
>
> >(like take all the junk
> >off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
> >with SP2
>
> Yes. And make sure you have a decent AV around too (eg AVG 7 free, or
> say e-trust)
>
> Wait a bit and see if you *use* the extras provided, if you don't then
> is the time to uninstall them
>

> --
> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Gateway's purchase of eMachines landed them the top quality control person
in the business. He is in charge of both. Don't count them out!