New computer

I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
with SP2
I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1 &
SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.
7 answers Last reply
More about computer

    The more memory you can afford the better(I run 1 gig of memory)
    No problem so far with sp2
    If you plan to use the new computer for a small business then go with xp-pro
    xp-pro gives you more options for security and overall protection
    as soon as you get the new computer go to microsoft and check for updates
    I down loaded the microsoft antispyware beta and it works great
    make sure you have a good virus protection program I like AVG from grisoft,
    not only is it free, but it also provides e-mail protection.
    Why a Gateway? May want to consider dell.

    My system:
    p-4 2.5 overclocked to 3.0ghz
    1 gig ddr-sdram
    ati radeon 256 mg video
    audigy 24 bit sound card
    windows xp home
    dual dvd double layer burners
    160 gig hard drive

    "walt" wrote:

    > I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
    > Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
    > 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
    > Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
    > advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
    > off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
    > with SP2
    > I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1 &
    > SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

    I know I have heard horror stories about both. I have a Gateway now and have
    not had any problems. Just time to upgrade to something better. I am going
    for the 1gig
    Thanks for the input.

    "ibm clone" wrote:

    > The more memory you can afford the better(I run 1 gig of memory)
    > No problem so far with sp2
    > If you plan to use the new computer for a small business then go with xp-pro
    > xp-pro gives you more options for security and overall protection
    > as soon as you get the new computer go to microsoft and check for updates
    > I down loaded the microsoft antispyware beta and it works great
    > make sure you have a good virus protection program I like AVG from grisoft,
    > not only is it free, but it also provides e-mail protection.
    > Why a Gateway? May want to consider dell.
    >
    > My system:
    > p-4 2.5 overclocked to 3.0ghz
    > 1 gig ddr-sdram
    > ati radeon 256 mg video
    > audigy 24 bit sound card
    > windows xp home
    > dual dvd double layer burners
    > 160 gig hard drive
    >

    > "walt" wrote:
    >
    > > I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
    > > Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
    > > 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
    > > Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
    > > advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
    > > off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
    > > with SP2
    > > I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1 &
    > > SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

    Hi,

    SP2 is all about security. The firewall is much improved as far as user
    functionality is concerned. More on this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

    Also, unless you have need for it, there is no reason to purchase WinXP Pro.
    The core operating system is the same. Differences:

    - WinXP Pro will allow 10 inbound connections, Home only 5
    - Pro has policy editors (useful in a corporate environment)
    - Pro has IIS (useful if you build server apps)
    - Pro can become part of a domain (another corporate use)
    - Both use simple file sharing by default, but it can only be disabled in
    Pro
    - Firewall and file security between users is the same
    - Encrypted file system is only available in Pro

    If you need any of the benefits of a Pro system, then go with it. Otherwise,
    most home users are happy with XP Home. More details:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    More memory? Do you need it? 512MB is usually plenty for an average user.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "walt" <walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
    > Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
    > 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
    > Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
    > advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the junk
    > off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work
    > well
    > with SP2
    > I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1
    > &
    > SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

    Thanks for the feedback. I appreicate it, and thanks for the links.

    walt wrote:

    >I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
    >Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
    >512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
    >Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
    >advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it.

    That should be adequate memory for general use; people who do a lot of
    heavy graphics; video editing etc need more. Check on your own work
    pattern after you have settled down; go to
    www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
    and use it to see how much page file you actually use. Under 100 MB is
    unlikely to show much benefit over 512 MB, and more than that gives a
    guide to how much more RAM will help.

    >(like take all the junk
    >off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
    >with SP2

    Yes. And make sure you have a decent AV around too (eg AVG 7 free, or
    say e-trust)

    Wait a bit and see if you *use* the extras provided, if you don't then
    is the time to uninstall them

    Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

    "Alex Nichol" wrote:

    > walt wrote:
    >
    > >I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
    > >Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
    > >512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
    > >Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any other
    > >advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it.
    >
    > That should be adequate memory for general use; people who do a lot of
    > heavy graphics; video editing etc need more. Check on your own work
    > pattern after you have settled down; go to
    > www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
    > and use it to see how much page file you actually use. Under 100 MB is
    > unlikely to show much benefit over 512 MB, and more than that gives a
    > guide to how much more RAM will help.
    >
    > >(like take all the junk
    > >off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work well
    > >with SP2
    >
    > Yes. And make sure you have a decent AV around too (eg AVG 7 free, or
    > say e-trust)
    >
    > Wait a bit and see if you *use* the extras provided, if you don't then
    > is the time to uninstall them
    >

    > --
    > Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
    > Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

    Gateway's purchase of eMachines landed them the top quality control person
    in the business. He is in charge of both. Don't count them out!
    "ibm clone" <ibm clone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The more memory you can afford the better(I run 1 gig of memory)
    > No problem so far with sp2
    > If you plan to use the new computer for a small business then go with
    > xp-pro
    > xp-pro gives you more options for security and overall protection
    > as soon as you get the new computer go to microsoft and check for updates
    > I down loaded the microsoft antispyware beta and it works great
    > make sure you have a good virus protection program I like AVG from
    > grisoft,
    > not only is it free, but it also provides e-mail protection.
    > Why a Gateway? May want to consider dell.
    >
    > My system:
    > p-4 2.5 overclocked to 3.0ghz
    > 1 gig ddr-sdram
    > ati radeon 256 mg video
    > audigy 24 bit sound card
    > windows xp home
    > dual dvd double layer burners
    > 160 gig hard drive
    >

    > "walt" wrote:
    >
    >> I am considering buying a new Gateway 7200X computer
    >> Windows XP Home SP2 Intel 4 540 (3.2GHz)
    >> 512 DDr SDRAM PC3200 dual chanel
    >> Should I upgrade to mem before I get it, should I go with XP Pro any
    >> other
    >> advice as to what I should do as soon as I get it. (like take all the
    >> junk
    >> off) I will be using adaware, spybot, & spywareblaster. Do they all work
    >> well
    >> with SP2
    >> I am now using XP Home SP1 is there a big difference between the two (SP1
    >> &
    >> SP2 and Home and Pro) any other comments.

Computers Windows XP