unnecessary folders ? Yes or no

11444ac82ac89da345d2
aa47399cffc9cbcb83ec5a

Both of these are folder names. What they have in them is system files.
duplicate system files. like those found in windows/system or windows/system32.

I suspect one or both were installed 1st with XP, and again with SP2.

Are these folders absolutely necessary ? or is there a way to delete them and
let anything that looks for the system files here to look for them in the
normal system folders ? I HATE DUPE WASTE !

You are probably correct and the files can most likely be safely deleted.
First reboot
Cut/Paste into a new folder in a different location such as the Desktop and
leave them there for awhile.
If everything continues to function properly, then delete the new file.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> 11444ac82ac89da345d2
> aa47399cffc9cbcb83ec5a
>
> Both of these are folder names. What they have in them is system files.
> duplicate system files. like those found in windows/system or
> windows/system32.
>
> I suspect one or both were installed 1st with XP, and again with SP2.
>
> Are these folders absolutely necessary ? or is there a way to delete them
> and
> let anything that looks for the system files here to look for them in the
> normal system folders ? I HATE DUPE WASTE !
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:49:08 -0700, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

I assume this means they are unique to my machine and no one else has seen them
?
Fair idea, assuming that it will even boot once the old folders are removed.
These are C:\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <--- folders Both found in the root folder.

>You are probably correct and the files can most likely be safely deleted.
>First reboot
>Cut/Paste into a new folder in a different location such as the Desktop and
>leave them there for awhile.
>If everything continues to function properly, then delete the new file.

They are not exactly unique now that you say they are at C:/.
The updates place them there and occasionally fail to remove them when
completed.

The numbers seem to be random and will be different on a different computer.

--

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:49:08 -0700, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
> <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>
> I assume this means they are unique to my machine and no one else has seen
> them
> ?
> Fair idea, assuming that it will even boot once the old folders are
> removed.
> These are C:\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <--- folders Both found in the root folder.
>
>>You are probably correct and the files can most likely be safely deleted.
>>First reboot
>>Cut/Paste into a new folder in a different location such as the Desktop
>>and
>>leave them there for awhile.
>>If everything continues to function properly, then delete the new file.
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:40:23 -0700, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

Still doesn't answer whether or not the machine will even boot losing that many
system files at once.
I've tried to access DOS with XP pro and it only allows maybe one or two
folders max, and only thing possible is to view what's in the folders. rename,
delete, any modification to the drives isn't possible, or not that I've found a
way yet. I'm not real curious in trying to reinstall the OS again which is why
I asked are these two dupe directories necessary.
Has anyone else removed them and not crashed into a mess.

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:31:18 -0500, Husky wrote:

> Still doesn't answer whether or not the machine will even boot losing that many
> system files at once.

The folders are temporary in nature. As Jupiter said, they are normally
deleted after an update installs. The working copies of the files they
contain have already been copied to their permanent directories.

About the only caution I can think of in regards to these folders: If you
haven't restarted since installing the updates, do so.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:00:38 -0600, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

they've been sitting there for months which is why the concern.
I ran a program that I'd installed from a CD that must have had a fingerprint
on the data. Same error same place every time. While tracing the problem
EVENTVWR showed the problem came from 2 different dll files, both of which
exist in about 5 different places on my HD 2 of which are in these directories.
10 dupes total of just 2 files.

11444ac82ac89da345d2 this folder has one more folder under it titled sp2. But
it's inaccessible for anything. Can't even find out if there's anything in it.

aa47399cffc9cbcb83ec5a this folder has 80 megs of stuff in it.

So I'm guessing to delete the 1st one isn't even possible.

Well so far the sp2 directory is inaccessible completely. Can't even change it
from read only.

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:38:47 -0500, Husky wrote:

> they've been sitting there for months which is why the concern.
> I ran a program that I'd installed from a CD that must have had a fingerprint
> on the data. Same error same place every time. While tracing the problem
> EVENTVWR showed the problem came from 2 different dll files, both of which
> exist in about 5 different places on my HD 2 of which are in these directories.
> 10 dupes total of just 2 files.
>
> 11444ac82ac89da345d2 this folder has one more folder under it titled sp2. But
> it's inaccessible for anything. Can't even find out if there's anything in it.
>
> aa47399cffc9cbcb83ec5a this folder has 80 megs of stuff in it.
>
> So I'm guessing to delete the 1st one isn't even possible.
>
> Well so far the sp2 directory is inaccessible completely. Can't even change it
> from read only.

Ignore read only settings on folders.
You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549

The error reports would be referring to the working copies of the files.
Not to the dupes in the alpha-numeric named folders.

For the folder that you can't gain access to, you may need to take
ownership to get inside and view its contents:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:15:13 -0600, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:38:47 -0500, Husky wrote:
>
>> they've been sitting there for months which is why the concern.
>> I ran a program that I'd installed from a CD that must have had a fingerprint
>> on the data. Same error same place every time. While tracing the problem
>> EVENTVWR showed the problem came from 2 different dll files, both of which
>> exist in about 5 different places on my HD 2 of which are in these directories.
>> 10 dupes total of just 2 files.
>>
>> 11444ac82ac89da345d2 this folder has one more folder under it titled sp2. But
>> it's inaccessible for anything. Can't even find out if there's anything in it.
>>
>> aa47399cffc9cbcb83ec5a this folder has 80 megs of stuff in it.
>>
>> So I'm guessing to delete the 1st one isn't even possible.
>>
>> Well so far the sp2 directory is inaccessible completely. Can't even change it
>> from read only.
>
>Ignore read only settings on folders.
>You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549
>
>The error reports would be referring to the working copies of the files.
>Not to the dupes in the alpha-numeric named folders.
>
>For the folder that you can't gain access to, you may need to take
>ownership to get inside and view its contents:
>HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=308421

You've made my permanent hints folder.
This ownership makes no sense. I'm the only one using the machine. There
shouldn't be anything off limits. But I get that all the time when I do a
registry search for keys and values etc..
Mostly just annoying. Like Helmets and seat belts. You're too stupid to take
care of yourself, so the gov't must make laws and force it on you.