Is there anything built in to Windows XP that would allow me to attempt to
fix a bad floppy? A friend gave me a floppy disk and she is trying to get
some files off of it. I can get to some files but others seem to cause the
A drive to keep cycling without anything happening. I used to have some
luck with doing a scandisk but that is no longer available. I tried doing a
chkdsk at the command prompt but that seemed to give me the status of the
floppy and not really fix anything.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Stephen Larivee wrote:
> Is there anything built in to Windows XP that would allow me to attempt to
> fix a bad floppy? A friend gave me a floppy disk and she is trying to get
> some files off of it. I can get to some files but others seem to cause the
> A drive to keep cycling without anything happening. I used to have some
> luck with doing a scandisk but that is no longer available. I tried doing a
> chkdsk at the command prompt but that seemed to give me the status of the
> floppy and not really fix anything.
>
> Any suggestions???
>
> Thanks

Two other possibilities at offloading the files are
to use another floppy disk drive or the original disk
drive from which the files were copied.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Stephen Larivee wrote:
>> Is there anything built in to Windows XP that would allow me to attempt
>> to fix a bad floppy? A friend gave me a floppy disk and she is trying
>> to get some files off of it. I can get to some files but others seem to
>> cause the A drive to keep cycling without anything happening. I used to
>> have some luck with doing a scandisk but that is no longer available. I
>> tried doing a chkdsk at the command prompt but that seemed to give me the
>> status of the floppy and not really fix anything.
>>
>> Any suggestions???
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Two other possibilities at offloading the files are
> to use another floppy disk drive or the original disk
> drive from which the files were copied.

I will try some more floppy drives at work tomorrow. I have two computers
at home and so far, I have not had much luck. Going to the original
computer is no longer possible. A friend of mine has Norton System Works.
I am going to see if anything on that program will help.

In the past (when I had Win 98) I would try to do a defrag and/or a
scandisk. Sometimes it worked enough so I could get to the files. I like
the newer operating systems but sometimes I wish they had kept some of the
features of the old OS and moved them over to the new OS.

XP doesn't have a built in process to fix floppies . Heck half the time it
can't even read good floppies. But check this out
http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/floppy_recovery.asp

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Stephen Larivee" <NOlariveeslSPAM@yahoo.PLEASEcom> wrote in message
> Is there anything built in to Windows XP that would allow me to attempt to
> fix a bad floppy? A friend gave me a floppy disk and she is trying to
get
> some files off of it. I can get to some files but others seem to cause
the
> A drive to keep cycling without anything happening. I used to have some
> luck with doing a scandisk but that is no longer available. I tried doing
> chkdsk at the command prompt but that seemed to give me the status of the
> floppy and not really fix anything.
>
> Any suggestions???
>
> Thanks

Thank you, Harry. I did download the program and it recovered almost all of
my files. It costs quite a bit for a small program, but I am sure it will
be worth it to have it available at work.

Thanks again.