Upgrading from an illegal copy to a legal copy: won't inst..

I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of conscience,
I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition. Is
there a way around this? I have been buying MS products since DOS 1.0 days.
John

diva

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005

it could be like you are upgrading from windows xp pro to windows xp home

To be frank i have tried to upgrade the computer from illegal version of xp
to leagal xp pro it worked

Different architecture which would not allow you to get back to home,
however you will be able to upgrade from home to pro

"Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net" wrote:

> I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of conscience,
> I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
> installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition. Is
> there a way around this? I have been buying MS products since DOS 1.0 days.
> John

"Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net" wrote:

> I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of conscience,
> I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
> installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition. Is
> there a way around this? I have been buying MS products since DOS 1.0 days.
> John

Best advice would be to backup all your important stuff and reinstall from
scratch.

In news:A21C81CA-C7CC-43B1-8AD8-3571686B2CB6@microsoft.com,
Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net
<Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied
;-)
> I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of
> conscience, I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition.
> The software installation hangs up and says that this is not an
> upgradable edition. Is there a way around this? I have been buying
> MS products since DOS 1.0 days. John

You would need a Pro version, with the Home version, you can only do a clean
install. You can't install Home over Pro.
Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

First off if you had purchased a Retail version of XP Pro you would be able
to simply swap out the product key. However XP Home keys won't work with XP
Pro and you can't install XP Home over XP Pro so you are stuck with doing a
clean install if you want to legitimize
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net"
<Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of
conscience,
> I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
> installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition. Is
> there a way around this? I have been buying MS products since DOS 1.0
days.
> John

Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of
> conscience, I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition.
> The software installation hangs up and says that this is not an
> upgradable edition. Is there a way around this? I have been buying
> MS products since DOS 1.0 days. John

John, you can't install XP Home on top of XP Pro. Windows considers that a
"downgrade" and won't allow it. Suggest you go back to where you purchased
the XP Home retail package and see if they will exchange it for XP Pro.

Otherwise you will need to save your personal data (email, documents, etc.)
and wipe the drive; install XP Home clean; then restore your data files.
You will find the Files and Settings Transfer wizard on your new CD, and you
can use that to help migrate your personal stuff.

--

....Sky

Tom "Sky" King
=============

Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of conscience,
> I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
> installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition. Is
> there a way around this? I have been buying MS products since DOS 1.0 days.
> John

The only way to change from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is to
format the drive and start over. There is no supported downgrade path
or technique.

Simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Had you purchased WinXP Pro, you'd have been able to perform an
"in-place" upgrade, keeping your applications and settings intact.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net
<Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of conscience,
>I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
>installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition.

To go from Pro (legal or not) to Home is a downgrade, and you have to do
it through a clean install, backing everything else up and formatting
the disk

So format your hard drive and clean-install it.

"Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net"
<Bigjohn393@bellsouth.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an illegal copy of MS XP-Pro on my computer. In a fit of
>conscience,
> I went out and bought a legal copy of XP Home Edition. The software
> installation hangs up and says that this is not an upgradable edition. Is
> there a way around this? I have been buying MS products since DOS 1.0
> days.
> John

I too have just discovered, via "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation" report
that I have illegal copies of XP Pro and Office 2002 and FrontPage 2002 using
illegal Volume License Product Keys. But I do have legal full versions of Win
Me and Office 97 and Frontpage 2000.

My questions are this:

1: I have 3 partitions on the one drive (done using PartitionMagic 7.0)
where "C" is the OS and programs, "D" is User My Documents and "E" is all my
photos and home videos. All formatted in Fat 32 not NTFS due to a legacy 95,
98, NT program. Will I have to repartition the entire drive when I install a
legal copy of XP Pro? I do carry out regular CD backups of "D" and "E".
2: Can I do a clean install using genuine "upgrade" versions of
"Academic"versions of XP Pro, office and FrontPage?
3: If I can use "upgrade academic" versions, will this affect my upgrade
path for future versions of these programs? (I am thinking ahead to the era
of Win 64 and dual core technology)