WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT corrupt file?

For the past couple of years I have been running a 16 bit program in
Windows XP.

The program is 'Maximizer' which is a personal information program that
I rely on heavily.

Today I tryed to start the the program and got the following error:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file
is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate
the application.

I rebooted and set the computer back to a retore point before the
problem started.

John

"John Griffin" <johngriffin@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Today I tryed to start the the program and got the following error:
>
> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file
> is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
> Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate
> the application.

Hello John.

Basically copy autoexec.nt from windows\repair to windows\system32, more
details at
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/troubleshooting/commonproblems.php#autoexec.nt

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Thank you so much Paul. Worked like a charm! I was really quite concerned as
that program has info I use everyday. I have back ups but only access to this
computer to run it. I wonder though what happened to delete the file.

Thanks again.

John

--
<insert witty saying here>

Also after you do that make the "read-only"

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> "John Griffin" <johngriffin@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Today I tryed to start the the program and got the following error:
>>
>> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file
>> is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
>> Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate
>> the application.
>

> Hello John.
>
> Basically copy autoexec.nt from windows\repair to windows\system32, more
> details at
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/troubleshooting/commonproblems.php#autoexec.nt
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>
> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

Very probable a worm,Trojan or a virus. Run you stable of protective
programs.

Also make this file "read-only" and it won't be bothered again.

> Thank you so much Paul. Worked like a charm! I was really quite
> concerned as
> that program has info I use everyday. I have back ups but only access to
> this
> computer to run it. I wonder though what happened to delete the file.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> John
>
> Paul Smith wrote:
>
>> "John Griffin" <johngriffin@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> > Today I tryed to start the the program and got the following error:
>> >
>> > 16 bit Windows Subsystem
>> >
>> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file
>> > is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
>> > Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate
>> > the application.
>>
>> Hello John.
>>
>> Basically copy autoexec.nt from windows\repair to windows\system32, more
>> details at
>> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/troubleshooting/commonproblems.php#autoexec.nt
>>
>> --
>> Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>> http://www.dasmirnov.net/
>> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>>
>> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*
>
> --
> <insert witty saying here>

"John Griffin" <johngriffin@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Thank you so much Paul. Worked like a charm! I was really quite
> concerned as
> that program has info I use everyday. I have back ups but only access to
> this
> computer to run it. I wonder though what happened to delete the file.

No problemo, I've heard of several things causing it. An update on Windows
Update, spyware and trojans. Don't think anyone has nailed the exact
reason, but it does seem very common.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.