Desktop Computer Reliability

Given the easy accessibility of purchasing an HP desktop machine, I'm
considering one but am leary given all the negative publicity I've heard
concerning the reliability of their stuff over the past couple of years.
So, I'm interest to know...if you've bought one of their machines recently,
would you
buy it again?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I have an HP desktop from 1999 and it still runs fine.
I also have an HP notebook from 2000 and besides replacing the battery
twice, it's great.

I recall getting the replacement warrantee on my printer (not mentioned
above) and on my monitor . . . and when they went bad . . . I got a
replacement sent FedEx . . .

But, that was a few years ago . . .

I am considering a new notebook, and having had two Gateways and one HP, I'm
either going HP again or DELL.

--
Chuck

I have HP desktop and notebook since 2000 - no problems, especially with
desktop (I had to replace battery in notebook twice).

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:47:39 -0600, Manfred <NoThanks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Given the easy accessibility of purchasing an HP desktop machine, I'm
> considering one but am leary given all the negative publicity I've heard
> concerning the reliability of their stuff over the past couple of years.
> So, I'm interest to know...if you've bought one of their machines recently,
> would you
> buy it again?

I purchased an a530n with Athlon 64 3200+ about a month or 2 ago (similar
current model is probably already a630n). A co-worker also purchased a
similar Compaq SR1012NX with Athlon XP 3000+. Neither has any extra drive
bays (which are occupied by DVD+RW, CD, multi-media card reader, front
audio, floppy, and 1 hard drive).

The only problem was that it would not even try to boot after installing a
faster video card (256 MB FX 5700LE in place of 128 MB FX 5200XT). So I
replaced its overrated 250 watt output PSU with Antec 350, and that works
fine. The tech at Best Buy thought that HP used a non-standard size power
supply, but a standard ATX 12V size PSU fits it. Originally it used 96
watts at 100% cpu and mid to low 60's when idle. With the new video card,
it is using 126 watts input during video benchmarks, 76 watts when idle
(based on Kill A Watt meter). Don't know why standard PSU could not
handle that.

Other than that it works great. Currently triple booting XP Home, 64-bit
XP Pro, and 64-bit SuSE 9.1 Linux.

Manfred wrote:

> Given the easy accessibility of purchasing an HP desktop machine, I'm
> considering one but am leary given all the negative publicity I've
> heard concerning the reliability of their stuff over the past couple
> of years. So, I'm interest to know...if you've bought one of their
> machines recently, would you
> buy it again?

Yes, definitely. But then, I haven't bought an Pavilion (their Home computer
series) but the better models (Kayak, x-Series). Currently I'm using an HP
x4000 (Dual XEON 2GHZ, Nvidia Quadro4 900XGL 128MB) and an x2000 (P4 2GHz,
ATI FireGL4 128MB). I never had a problem with the machines, the only thing
that gave me troubles were the ATI FireGL4 gfx cards that we bought with the
systems. These cards tend to have a high failure rate and a bad support for
widescreen display modes. But whenever we had a problem HP was very helpful
and fast when it comes to replacing the cards. The Nvidia Quadro is much
more reliable, though. And the computers tself are extremely reliable and
solid like a rock. When the time comes to replacing these systems I'm
planning to get the new HP xw8200...

Of course these are quite expensive PC workstations, and I doubt that for
the generic PCs or the Pavilion series the support is half as good. But the,
You get what You pay for.

Benjamin

On the seventh day, Manfred wrote...

> Any thoughts appreciated.

I have a Kayak XU 6/333 (1997), a Visualize X550 (1998) and some other HP
components like printers and scanners, all of which have been working
flawlessly for years.

I acknowledge, tho, that HP produces for consumers and companies and while
Pavillion PCs may not be the best bang for the buck, I do believe that the
business class PCs have a very high overall quality standard.

I definitely would buy HP again.

To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To
destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Sir
Winston Churchill