  • Microsoft
  • Keyboards
  • Windows XP
February 9, 2005 1:43:33 PM

Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.

Thanks

More about : print screen key

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:59:51 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:43:33 -0600, Mary wrote:

> Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
> active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
> way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.
>
> Thanks

Press the key when there's something on the screen that you want a copy of.
Print Screen copies the entire desktop. ALT+Print Screen copies the active
window. Nothing apparent has happened yet but the image is captured in
memory.

Next step is to open Paint, Wordpad or any other program that accepts image
data and Paste the image into a new file.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks Sharon, got it working now with Word.

Mary

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:43:33 -0600, Mary wrote:
>
>> Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
>> active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
>> way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Press the key when there's something on the screen that you want a copy
> of.
> Print Screen copies the entire desktop. ALT+Print Screen copies the active
> window. Nothing apparent has happened yet but the image is captured in
> memory.
>
> Next step is to open Paint, Wordpad or any other program that accepts
> image
> data and Paste the image into a new file.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 9, 2005 7:51:16 PM

Mary wrote:
> Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
> active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
> way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.
>
> Thanks

"Print Screen" doesn't print, it copies to the clipboard.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:02:38 PM

It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no extra add
ons etc.

Gordon wrote:
> Mary wrote:
>> Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that
>> key active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and
>> there is no way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key
>> work. Thanks
>>

> "Print Screen" doesn't print, it copies to the clipboard.
February 9, 2005 10:02:39 PM

It's Only Me wrote:
> It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no extra add
> ons etc.

Well that's NOT the default, I can assure you!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:33:07 AM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:57:36 -0600, Mary wrote:

> Thanks Sharon, got it working now with Word.
>
> Mary

You're very welcome, Mary.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Press the key, then Ctrl-V the screen-capture shot into a graphics program
(or other application).

It doesn't literally "print the screen" - the key is from the days of
mainframe terminals where it used to send screen dump to the printer. The
name has stuck, but the function has moved on.

All it does is a screen shot which you can then paste into any application
e.g. word processor, graphics editor etc.

"Mary" <absolutelymary@calm.com> wrote in message
> Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
> active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
> way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:59:13 AM

It's Only Me wrote:
> It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no
> extra add ons etc.

You're hallucinating. The print screen key hasn't sent a screen dump
directly to the printer since the advent of Windows. That's what it did in
the days of DOS - these days it sends the dump to the clipboard and then you
have to paste it somewhere in order to be able to print it.

on salads.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:19:27 PM

I beg to differ, MORON. The print screen key on both my works machine and my
home pc sends the screen immediately to the printer. Don't try to tell me
what does and what does not happen on MY computer. As for hallucinating, you
need to take more of your medication. Might help you be a little less
ignorant and bitchy. That time of the month again???

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> It's Only Me wrote:
>> It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no
>> extra add ons etc.
>
> You're hallucinating. The print screen key hasn't sent a screen dump
> directly to the printer since the advent of Windows. That's what it
> did in the days of DOS - these days it sends the dump to the
> clipboard and then you have to paste it somewhere in order to be able
> to print it.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:17:54 PM

It's Only Me wrote:
> I beg to differ, MORON. The print screen key on both my works machine and my
> home pc sends the screen immediately to the printer. Don't try to tell me
> what does and what does not happen on MY computer. As for hallucinating, you
> need to take more of your medication. Might help you be a little less
> ignorant and bitchy. That time of the month again???

It could do so *only* if you (or someone else) installed a 3rd party
application to add such functionality. No version of Windows has ever
provided such a tool.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: