Print Screen key

Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about print screen

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:43:33 -0600, Mary wrote:

    > Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
    > active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
    > way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.
    >
    > Thanks

    Press the key when there's something on the screen that you want a copy of.
    Print Screen copies the entire desktop. ALT+Print Screen copies the active
    window. Nothing apparent has happened yet but the image is captured in
    memory.

    Next step is to open Paint, Wordpad or any other program that accepts image
    data and Paste the image into a new file.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thanks Sharon, got it working now with Word.

    Mary

    Mary wrote:
    > Okay, got a print screen key on my keyboard. How do you make that key
    > active? When I get certain boxes that pop up in programs and there is no
    > way to make it print, it would be nice to have that key work.
    >
    > Thanks

    "Print Screen" doesn't print, it copies to the clipboard.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no extra add
    ons etc.

    It's Only Me wrote:
    > It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no extra add
    > ons etc.

    Well that's NOT the default, I can assure you!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:57:36 -0600, Mary wrote:

    > Thanks Sharon, got it working now with Word.
    >
    > Mary

    You're very welcome, Mary.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Press the key, then Ctrl-V the screen-capture shot into a graphics program
    (or other application).

    It doesn't literally "print the screen" - the key is from the days of
    mainframe terminals where it used to send screen dump to the printer. The
    name has stuck, but the function has moved on.

    All it does is a screen shot which you can then paste into any application
    e.g. word processor, graphics editor etc.

    It's Only Me wrote:
    > It prints on my computer and there is notning special about it, no
    > extra add ons etc.

    You're hallucinating. The print screen key hasn't sent a screen dump
    directly to the printer since the advent of Windows. That's what it did in
    the days of DOS - these days it sends the dump to the clipboard and then you
    have to paste it somewhere in order to be able to print it.

    on salads.

    I beg to differ, MORON. The print screen key on both my works machine and my
    home pc sends the screen immediately to the printer. Don't try to tell me
    what does and what does not happen on MY computer. As for hallucinating, you
    need to take more of your medication. Might help you be a little less
    ignorant and bitchy. That time of the month again???

    It's Only Me wrote:
    > I beg to differ, MORON. The print screen key on both my works machine and my
    > home pc sends the screen immediately to the printer. Don't try to tell me
    > what does and what does not happen on MY computer. As for hallucinating, you
    > need to take more of your medication. Might help you be a little less
    > ignorant and bitchy. That time of the month again???

    It could do so *only* if you (or someone else) installed a 3rd party
    application to add such functionality. No version of Windows has ever
    provided such a tool.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: