Problem with Asus P4G8X Deluxe and ATI 9800 Pro

MaverickSY19

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Well I got my 9800 Pro yesterday and installation was not a problem i've been building computers for years. I put on the latest 3.2 Catalyst drivers and control panel and I ran some benchmarks. I set the card to full performance and ran 3DMark 2003 with a score of 5620. System specs listed in sig. I had no issues running 3DMark 2003 or 2001 SE with 8X AGP and Side Band Addressing on. I thought all was good. Well last night when I got home from work I was playing Raven Shield and I kept getting hard locks. I tried Medal of Honor:AA Spearhead and same thing. The sound was freezing with a high pitched whine and I could not recover without hiting reset or power off. Well I thought the 9800 might be interfering with my Audigy card, the Ti 4600 I just took out of the system was working great before this with the Audigy in the same slot. Well to make a long story short, after troubleshooting the problem for a while and moving my sound card around I found it was not that at all. I had to set my AGP to 4x and set it to 4X in the ATI Control Panel, then I had to turn off Sideband Addressing in the control panel. When I did those two things the system seemed to be running with no lockups. I didn't have a lot of time to test it though because I had to go to work. I get off work in an hour and I will test some more. So I hope this doesn't mean there is a problem with this card at 8x AGP or with my motherboard. Though I read many reviews on this board before I bought it and everyone had a 9700 running at 8x without a problem. I wonder if I need to up my AGP Voltage to max 1.7v for this board in BIOS to help support the voltage hog card that I keep seeing people report. I do have the Y adapter hooked to one of my HD's as well as my card. I have a Antec True Blue 480W P/S so i dont think thats an issue.

Any thoughts would be good from you guys. Just funny that it will run both 3DMark programs without lockups and even the Demos in constant loops with the SOUND ON with no lockups.

HELP!!

MaverickSY19
P4 3.06 Hyperthreading CPU
Asus P4G8X Deluxe Granite Bay Intel 7205 Chipset w/2G Dual Port Ram
ATI 9800 Pro 128
Audigy XGamer w/5.1 Speakers
250 Gigs of total HD Space

aliu42

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I recently read a report from Nordichardware where they did a review of the 9800 Pro. They noted some extreme stuttering of video and upon experimentation figured out that it was related to the Audigy 2 sound suite.

Here's a link to the exact page where it's discussed..

<A HREF="http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Radeon9800Pro/index.php?ez=6" target="_new">http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Radeon9800Pro/index.php?ez=6</A>

What you may be experiencing is a more severe version of this problem..

Solution: No earthly idea at this time..just thought I'd point out something I'd seen...

Hope you figure it out...cause I'm fixing to install my 9800 Pro myself..

Aliu

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
--Albert Einstein

MaverickSY19

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Now that might be worth checking into. I do have the Audigy 2 drivers and Suite installed, its a modified version made to work with Audigy 1 cards which is what I really have. Only thing is, doesn't it seem like it would also have problems with 4x AGP if it was that type of problem. I'll read the article though, thanks for the info!!!!

MaverickSY19
P4 3.06 Hyperthreading CPU
Asus P4G8X Deluxe Granite Bay Intel 7205 Chipset w/2G Dual Port Ram
ATI 9800 Pro 128
Audigy XGamer w/5.1 Speakers
250 Gigs of total HD Space