Hardcore Hell - Duress vs Gloom ??? Opinions Please.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Well I can make another Duress.

Or,...

I can make a Gloom.

I actually have a Fal-Um-Pul. In my short time of playing Hardcore.

So all of you wise people please tell me the ups and the downs, the
good and the bad.

My chars

LF/Plaguazon - already has a Duress
Ranger Druid
Fanat/Conviction Pally (with Zeal)
Lite Sorc
Cold Sorc
War Cry Barb

It appears that the Duress is more for a weapon user considering the CB
and OW.

The enhanced defense on the Gloom appears nice, but I don't exactly
plan on meleeing through Hell.

If the UM goes towards a Duress maybe the Fal and Pul can be used
elsewhere. The PUL is essentially 1/2 an UM so another PUL would give
me another UM and another Duress.

Smokes will ne made for those that do not get the armors with the UM
runes.

I am leaning towards another Duress.

Orion Ryder

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It appears that the Duress is more for a weapon user considering the CB
> and OW.
>
> The enhanced defense on the Gloom appears nice, but I don't exactly
> plan on meleeing through Hell.

Well, if you don't plan on meleeing through hell, the CB, OW, and cold
damage on the Duress doesn't do you much good either. I suppose you could
give it to a bow user, even though CB is weaker on ranged weapons, but
considering you don't have a shield to get resists from, I'd rather give a
bow user Gloom. In all honestly, if you're not a meleer, Gloom is probably
better. Higher def, better resists, and C2C Dim Vision. Duress is mainly a
fighter's armor, best suited for those who melee.

> I am leaning towards another Duress.

If, as you said, you don't plan on meleeing through hell, Gloom would be the
better choice IMO.

> Orion Ryder

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well I can make another Duress.
>
> Or,...
>
> I can make a Gloom.
>
> I actually have a Fal-Um-Pul. In my short time of playing Hardcore.
>
> So all of you wise people please tell me the ups and the downs, the
> good and the bad.

i like gloom a lot.
it is used by my fana/zeal pala which is quite old in the meantime (actually
my oldest char ??), which means...the armor saved his life a couple of
times.
gloom provides good defense, physical and the 45 resists. but what i like
most is dim-vision on it. as soon as you get in trouble - you are out of
trouble, everything around you blinded and helpless, love it.

of course the really offensive armor would have been the duress, but i
thought about "anti-lag" builds, as i have a lot of lag unfortunately. i did
the build with a lot of phys/magic damage reduce, max block/resi, high
defense, high life. gloom came in perfect when i thought about the laggy
moment, when my char is alone on the server without interaction of the
player.
Stefan

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

How about a Smoke? I could make that also. Maybe give to my Javazon and
supply her with another tank for use through the rest of Hell Harcore
(currently just outside the Chaos Sanctuary) and pass her Duress down
to one of my younger characters.

BTW thank you for your previous input. Yes that Gloom does look good
compared to the Duress. Well they both look good.

Maybe I should make a non-Duress armor and have my characters share the
two amongst themselves depending on where they are gonna party on that
given night.

Now ain't that sneaky. Clan Shythed looks after one another.

Hardcore Mantra:

Live Forever or Die Trying

Orion Ryder

> Well I can make another Duress.
>
> Or,...
>
> I can make a Gloom.
>
> I actually have a Fal-Um-Pul. In my short time of playing Hardcore.
>
> So all of you wise people please tell me the ups and the downs, the
> good and the bad.
>
> My chars
>
> LF/Plaguazon - already has a Duress
> Ranger Druid
> Fanat/Conviction Pally (with Zeal)
> Lite Sorc
> Cold Sorc
> War Cry Barb
>
> It appears that the Duress is more for a weapon user considering the
CB
> and OW.
>
> The enhanced defense on the Gloom appears nice, but I don't exactly
> plan on meleeing through Hell.
>
> If the UM goes towards a Duress maybe the Fal and Pul can be used
> elsewhere. The PUL is essentially 1/2 an UM so another PUL would give
> me another UM and another Duress.
>
> Smokes will ne made for those that do not get the armors with the UM
> runes.
>
> I am leaning towards another Duress.
>
> Orion Ryder

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Argh!! I meant a Stone armor, a Stone.

Playing Hell Hardcore seems to be having an effect on my thinking. I
hope I don't have an anniversary coming up soon.

Orion Ryder

> Argh!! I meant a Stone armor, a Stone.

Stone is a decent armor. Massive FHR, heavy defense, some resists, and some
small stats boosts. That said, I'd prefer Gloom as a defensive player(lower
def, better resists, and C2C Dim Vision) and Duress as an offensive melee
type player. Look at it this way, you already said defense wasn't important,
and honestly, that and the huge FHR is the only thing Stone has going for
it. Sure, it has 15 res all, but you can get resistances just as good(and
better, for cold) from Duress(along with decent FHR), and better on ALL
counts from Gloom.

TRENDING THREADS