XP Home sp1 oem wont install sp2 or any other update

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • OEM
  • Windows XP
February 9, 2005 3:03:01 PM

It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2 or any
other. Whats the deal?

More about : home sp1 oem wont install sp2 update

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:53:02 PM

Well I'll be. It looks like it's working now. Must have been a Microsoft
glitch.

I'm just soooo surprised it could ever be that.

Thanks guys.

"SGL" wrote:

> It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2 or any
> other. Whats the deal?
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:19:55 PM

Exactly what happens?
What is the exact error message?

Does this apply:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
If not follow the Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"SGL" <SGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2 or
> any
> other. Whats the deal?
February 9, 2005 4:19:56 PM

No Jupiter, no error. It just says installations failed. Thats what puzzles
me.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Exactly what happens?
> What is the exact error message?
>
> Does this apply:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
> If not follow the Windows Update Checklist:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "SGL" <SGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2 or
> > any
> > other. Whats the deal?

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:35:53 PM

There could have been a problem at any number of places.
Microsoft servers, your computer, your ISP or anything else in between.
There area lot of places that may cause errors during an update.

If you did not reboot or change anything else on your computer, it was
probably not your computer.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> Well I'll be. It looks like it's working now. Must have been a Microsoft
> glitch.
>
> I'm just soooo surprised it could ever be that.
>

> Thanks guys.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:25:31 PM

Hi,

Click start/run, type "C:\Windows\Windows update.log" and click ok. Scroll
to the bottom, look for error codes in the format of 0x00000000 and post
back with them here.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> No Jupiter, no error. It just says installations failed. Thats what
> puzzles
> me.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Exactly what happens?
>> What is the exact error message?
>>
>> Does this apply:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
>> If not follow the Windows Update Checklist:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "SGL" <SGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2
>> > or
>> > any
>> > other. Whats the deal?

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:12:51 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:03:01 -0800, SGL <SGL@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2 or any
>other. Whats the deal?

Are you sure this is not a pirate disk?

Kind Regards

Marc Liron
Microsoft MVP
www.updatexp.com
www.podcasting-101.com
www.podcast-software.com
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:12:52 PM

No. I bought it online and it appears to be a genuine MS disc. i activated it
but didn't register my name. Do I need to register my name before the updates
work? I've been told the key could be blacklisted.

"Marc Liron MVP" wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:03:01 -0800, SGL <SGL@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It's installed all the updates up to thast point but won't install sp2 or any
> >other. Whats the deal?
>
> Are you sure this is not a pirate disk?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Marc Liron
> Microsoft MVP
> www.updatexp.com
> www.podcasting-101.com
> www.podcast-software.com

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:41:22 PM

SGL wrote:

>No. I bought it online and it appears to be a genuine MS disc. i activated it
>but didn't register my name. Do I need to register my name before the updates
>work? I've been told the key could be blacklisted.

Bought 'online' is very suspicious. It quite probably is using one of
the pirate keys, over which SP2 and many other updates will not work.

Check at www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/windows

February 10, 2005 8:48:28 PM

Registration and Activation are two different things. Activation is
required, Registration is not.

!