Max number of users

What is the maximum of users I can create in XP? Besides, Administrator,
Guest and John Doe, is there a physical limit? how about Win 2000? The boss
wants everyone to log onto a single computer with their unique user ID (but
not at the same time). Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about number users

    As far as know there is no limit in Windows XP.
    But scrolling at the log on screen could be a nuisance if there were many.

    Check the Windows 2000 newsgroups for Windows 2000 issues:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    iimages wrote:
    > What is the maximum of users I can create in XP? Besides,
    > Administrator, Guest and John Doe, is there a physical limit? how
    > about Win 2000? The boss wants everyone to log onto a single computer
    > with their unique user ID (but not at the same time). Thanks.

    There's no max, I don't think, to how many accounts can be "assigned", but
    there is of course a limit on how many simultaneous users can connect.
    Dunno what it's defaulted to on a server, but on a non-server it's 2.
    Just got thru playing with it. I'd contact MS or the MS server group for
    this onw.

    Pop
    ---
    No, I won't get dressed.
    I'm retired!

    The connection limit is 5 for Windows XP Home and 10 for Windows XP Pro:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314882
    Where did you get 2 from?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > There's no max, I don't think, to how many accounts can be "assigned", but
    > there is of course a limit on how many simultaneous users can connect.
    > Dunno what it's defaulted to on a server, but on a non-server it's 2.
    > Just got thru playing with it. I'd contact MS or the MS server group for
    > this onw.
    >
    > Pop
    > ---
    > No, I won't get dressed.
    > I'm retired!

    "iimages" <iimages@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the maximum of users I can create in XP? Besides, Administrator,
    > Guest and John Doe, is there a physical limit? how about Win 2000? The
    > boss
    > wants everyone to log onto a single computer with their unique user ID
    > (but
    > not at the same time). Thanks.

    Since XP is built on Enterprise grade technology I'm configdnet to say that
    your boss will run out of employees long before he hits whatever technical
    limit there might be on the number of user accounts that could possibly
    created.
    I'm not aware of an actual number but I'm positive that you can *at the very
    least* define 65535 user accounts.
    I doubt he has that many employees that need to be able to log on to that
    single computer.

    hth

    george

Microsoft Windows XP