Onkyo TX-NR808 A/V Receiver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvyDeneb

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hey Guys,

I have a Onkyo TX-NR808 A/V Receiver and I am having problems with it.

It locks down into CBL/SAT Preset after a few minutes of using it and It won't respond to any Buttons I push on the Remote and even on the Receiver itself except for the MAIN Power Button. If I leave it off for a long time and turn it on again it works fine but after 5-10 minutes of using it will do the lock down which make it unusable again.

The Products that are plugged in it are:

Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Theater Speakers
PS3
Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV
Sony DVD Player

right now the PS3 is not plugged in because like I said, it locks down after 10 minutes making it unusable. The TV only relies on the Receiver whenever I use my PS3 or the DVD Player. I was thinking of resetting the settings of the Receiver to factory settings but It took a hell of a time to setup the Audio Presets in this thing and wondering if there is a better solution to this.

I've got this Receiver since April 2012 and its working fine but somewhere in August this lock down keeps on happening. Am I doing something wrong? And is there any fix for this problem?

Unhook the speakers entirely. Turn the unit on and wait, does it shut down again?
You may have a defective speaker system.
Try an entirely different set of speakers.
What you are describing is a defect speaker, that is overheating the amplifier. OR perhaps, a bad speaker wire that is shorted, or a blown speaker...etc...
The amp shuts itself off for protection against a defective speaker or speaker wire.

IvyDeneb

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
The Receiver doesn't shut itself down. It is more like locking itself and switching to CBL/SAT Preset and the remote and receiver buttons don't work.

The Speakers are working. Like I said, the Receiver works fine for atleast 10 mins and after that it will automatically switch its Preset to CBL/SAT (which is presets for Cable and Satellite TVs I believe).

I don't think disconnecting Speakers will help. Its a Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Theater Speakers and has tons of wires. I did not assemble the system so I am not familiar with its cables...

mmestrov

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I am having the exact same problem, just started. If I unplug the system from the wall and wait a few minutes, it then works fine for about 10 minutes or so. When I turn it off, it stays off for a few minutes but then turns itself back on and locks down in CBL/SAT mode. So if you get any answers, can you let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

mmestrov

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I got mine fixed, it was apparently the IDE cable connector that connects the front panel controls to the motherboard. Onkyo has a two year warranty so mine was covered and fixed for free. This is supposedly a known issue with all the "8" series systems. So mine seems OK for now, just got it back and hooked it up on Saturday, so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS