Gilbert

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001

Is it possible to boot directly into an unpassworded account (guest or
limited user) which would allow me (or anyone else) to do wordprocessing,
etc., and then for me to be able to log into a password protected
administator account as and when required? In other words, can I bypass the
welcome screen with more than one account?
TIA
Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,

Sure. Create the unpassworded account. Click start/run, type "control
userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and click ok. Uncheck the box requiring
a username and password, click apply/ok and follow the prompts to set up a
default logon.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Is it possible to boot directly into an unpassworded account (guest or
> limited user) which would allow me (or anyone else) to do wordprocessing,
> etc., and then for me to be able to log into a password protected
> administator account as and when required? In other words, can I bypass
> the welcome screen with more than one account?
> TIA
> Gilbert

Gilbert

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001

> Hi Gilbert,
>
> Sure. Create the unpassworded account. Click start/run, type "control
> userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and click ok. Uncheck the box
> requiring a username and password, click apply/ok and follow the prompts
> to set up a default logon.

Thanks for that. It seemed to work - it booted into the guest account - but
when I logged off to go into my admin account the system froze (shock!
horror!) I clearly haven't mastered user accounts/file permissions/access
yet. I couldn't even open Word in the guest account. Oh well, onwards and
upwards.
Cheers
Gilbert