hard drive space limit

I recently purchased a 160 gig hard drive and installed windows xp pro with
sp2 on it. When installing windows it told me it could only let me use
134gig not the full 160. How can I make it to let me use the whole drive. To
make it notice the full space?
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive space limit

    In news:B1AB5A12-D996-4FEF-BD92-1523AFEFF240@microsoft.com,
    josh <josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I recently purchased a 160 gig hard drive and installed windows
    > xp
    > pro with sp2 on it. When installing windows it told me it
    > could only
    > let me use 134gig not the full 160. How can I make it to let
    > me use
    > the whole drive. To make it notice the full space?

    You need two things to support a drive that large:

    1. A motherboard with a BIOS and controller that supports 48-bit
    LBA (or alternatively, an add-in controller card that does).

    2. At least SP1 of Windows XP.

    Since you have number 2, it would appear that you don't have
    number 1.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi,

    Update the system BIOS, both it and WindowsXP (must have SP1 or SP2
    slipstreamed) have to support 48-bit LBA before you can use all of the
    drive.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "josh" <josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a 160 gig hard drive and installed windows xp pro with
    > sp2 on it. When installing windows it told me it could only let me use
    > 134gig not the full 160. How can I make it to let me use the whole drive.
    > make it notice the full space?

    josh typed:

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > You need two things to support a drive that large:
    >
    > 1. A motherboard with a BIOS and controller that supports 48-bit
    > LBA (or alternatively, an add-in controller card that does).
    >
    > 2. At least SP1 of Windows XP.
    >
    > Since you have number 2, it would appear that you don't have
    > number 1.

    In addition, know this is what you can expect:

    Advertised --- Actual Capacity
    10GB --- 9.31 GB
    20GB --- 18.63 GB
    30GB --- 27.94 GB
    40GB --- 37.25 GB
    60GB --- 55.88 GB
    80GB --- 74.51 GB
    100GB --- 93.13 GB
    120GB --- 111.76 GB
    160GB --- 149.01 GB
    180GB --- 167.64 GB
    200GB --- 186.26 GB
    250GB --- 232.83 GB

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    josh wrote:

    >I recently purchased a 160 gig hard drive and installed windows xp pro with
    >sp2 on it. When installing windows it told me it could only let me use
    >134gig not the full 160. How can I make it to let me use the whole drive. To
    >make it notice the full space?

    A drive bigger than 128 GB (binary measure, 137 decimal billion) needs
    support for '48 bit LBA' so as to be able to give a unique address to
    each sector of the drive. This may need an upgrade to BIOS or
    controller, and certainly needs XP at SP1 state or later.

    Also I am pretty sure the initial setup program on the XP CD does not
    handle 48 LBA. A single partition that size does not make sense anyway.
    If you have SP1 and the BIOS has the size right, start over, making sure
    you hit ESC when asked where, so you can delete the present partition
    and make a new one. , Setup at a modest size, enough for system and
    programs (say 20GB), then when the system is installed, Control Panel -
    Admin Tools - Computer Management, select Disk Management and look lower
    right for the graphic of the drive. R-click in Unallocated space and
    Create Partition, which will be able to use the rest of the drive

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP