Dual CPU MotherBoards

jimchest

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I cannot find any current reviews on newer dual CPU motherboards (if they exist). I was looking for one that had either ATA 133 or serial ATA. Also AGP 8x. I am also not sure how Athlon Duals compare to Intels. Most of the dual Motherboards I have seen do not seem to be cutting edge technology. I am looking to build a "BadAss" system to do nonlinear video editing, Play games like unreal2, and run 3d modelling software like Solid Edge. I currently have a Gigabyte 7vrxp with a 2100xp+ cpu. I like the raid 0 functionality for speed, but would like to go to the new serial ATA. Also I have heard that some of the dual motherboards can support Athlon XP as well as MP in the dual configuration. If anyone has any suggestion to my Conundrum I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
The chipsets that are available right now for AMD processors in dual-CPU setups are old and inefficient. None of them will support cutting-edge technology. But you might try E7505-based Intel motherboards, like the top-of-the line <A HREF="http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/E7505/X5DAE.htm" target="_new">X5DAE</A> from Supermicro. It´s a server chipset, so it´s a very robust one. You could then consider dual Xeons 2.4Ghz 533Mhz FSB and up to 12GB (ridiculous number, isn´t it?) of memory... It´s not very cheap, but it should do excellently.