Off Topic - KVM switch to game over

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Hey,

I know this is totally off topic, but I'm not really finding anything conclusive on the subject and this is the forum that I trust, so I'm going to ask here and hope I don't piss too many people off.

I want to get a 2 port KVM switch to game over using a 9700 pro and a 21" trinitron that I run at 1600x1200 and 85 Hz. Although features would be ok, my only concern is image quality. There are some older reviews (like one on Toms using a geforce 2)and some newer ones on sites I never heard of that are pretty superficial, and some forum discussions that contradict each other.

Does anyone use or know of a current KVM switch that gives good image quality with high quality video, or know of one that I should avoid?

Thanks

<font color=red> Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch. </font color=red>

melvin13

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Well Here at work I use a Belkin 4 port Cube KVM. I dont have a high end graphix (wel its a Nvidia Quadro 64 Meg) card on this pc here but from what I see there is no distortion in the picture. I use the default resolution of the LCD on my desk of 1280x768 and its crystal clear....

The only thing is I think the belkins are a little pricey(not to sure on that tho)...and some people find more of annoyance is that you press scroll lock twice plus a number from 1-4 to select the channel. Each time you do that the unit beeps..but you get used to it. We also have cybex KVMs here...they are a little more pricey but the control is through the ctrl button and can be a pain when playing certain games, as if you accidentally hit that button the OSD comes up.

I think the belkin would be a good choice.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Does anyone use or know of a current KVM switch that gives good image quality with high quality video, or know of one that I should avoid?
Avoid the cheap ones with mechanical, rotary switches. I bought one of these, some noname brand. Bad ghosting at 1024x768. Unusable at 1600x1200. 800x600 is OK.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
This is what I've mostly seen, avoid cheap ones, and all the ones that I've seen recommended I also see bashed elsewhere.

<font color=red> Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch. </font color=red>

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Thanks. I thought Quadro was high end. So hopefully its not a lost cause. The better belkins are around 80 bucks I think.

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I've got a Belkin 4 port OmniView Pro. It was around $199 when I first got it about 4 years ago and it works great. Absolutely no degredation in video quality. The only problem I have with it is that the extra buttons and scroll from my MX500 mouse stop working once I switch to another computer. After that first switch they don't work when you switch back. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance.

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Cool thanks, What resolution and refresh rate are you running? Do you play games on it?

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Great thats the best endorsement I've seen yet. You have the pricey cables I bet. The only pro version on newgg is pro2 8 port for $319 lol, looks like I'm looking elsewhere.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I tried a generic brand and was sorely dissappointed. I then bought a Belkin two port and can't really complain other than I wish I would have gotten a four port..he he..

With both machines running and switching back and forth I sometimes find my mouse is somewhat confused as to what function it is currently in. I simply right click on the screen somewhere and then close whatever pops up and everything then returns to normal. This only happens on the machine with WinME...the XP Pro machine has no problems what so ever with it.

Keep in mind that you need to be sure and get the proper cables to fit the Belkin devices...the ones for the generic KVM would not work, had the wrong plugs on one end. Also with these things I think it is wise to boot up only one machine at a time so as not to confuse it.

Belkin makes them for USB or PS/2

Here's the specs from the one I got. (From newegg)

Belkin OmniView E Series 2-Port KVM Switch PS/2 Platform - RETAIL BOX part# F1DB102P
Control two PS/2 computers from one keyboard, monitor, and mouse.Supports video resolutions up to 2048x1536@85Hz through a 400MHz bandwidth Features hot key switching and manual push-button port selection
Limited 2-Year Warranty
Free Technical Support
Features:
10-second AutoScan function
Keyboard and PS/2 emulations for error-free boot-up
$55.99

....WW

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Check it out, I'm a journeyman

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Actually almost all the omniview have the same specs, except the E series doesn't do USB or flash upgrades. I have another mouse, and I don't need audio on the other pc, its the monitor I don't have room for, so I bought an E series on ebay for 25 bucks and high res coax video cables at mycableshop.com for 16 each. I'll pick up some PS2 male/males locally and use one keyboard. For a while there it was looking like the price of this thing with good cables would end up being close enough that I was gonna buy a cheapo 15" LCD and wall mount it.

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Got the 2 port Omniview E series (that E is for econo btw)on ebay for 25 bucks and Belkin coax vid cables for 16 each at newegg, and my display looks exactly like it does without it, thats with geforce3 ti 200 (lol always oc'd to 220 MHz)sony 21" 1600x1200 @85 KHz(which is the max frequency the kvm advertises). We'll see with the 9700 pro in a week or so but overall it's pretty sweet, I'm not changing the monitor settings so I would think I should be ok. Oh yeah and I used the AC adapter from my retired Sega Genesis, those things are like 20 bucks at radio shack.