HOW CAN I RESTORE BACK TO ORIGINAL SETTINGS

OK, I'M SO FRUSTRATED, HOW CAN I GET THIS COMPUTER RUNNING QUIKER, AND
RESTORE OR FIND A GOOD BACK UP TO DOWNLOAD ME BACK TO THE "BEGINNING" I
TRIED TO REINSTALL MY OFFICE XP,,IT SAYS ITS MISSING FILES, YET I AM USING
THE DISK?? I JUST WANT FOLDERS ETC, TO GO BACK TO RIGHTFUL PLACES.
1 MORE THING, HOW DO I KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE RUNNING AND WHAT DOESNT? AND
WHERE DO I FIND THAT INFO?
DONT LOVE US NON-COMP USERS...LOL
PPPLLLZZZ HELP ME

OTISE
4 answers Last reply
More about restore back original settings

    Huh?

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > Huh?
    >
    > "ladyotise" <ladyotise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | OK, I'M SO FRUSTRATED, HOW CAN I GET THIS COMPUTER RUNNING QUIKER, AND
    > | RESTORE OR FIND A GOOD BACK UP TO DOWNLOAD ME BACK TO THE "BEGINNING" I
    > | TRIED TO REINSTALL MY OFFICE XP,,IT SAYS ITS MISSING FILES, YET I AM USING
    > | THE DISK?? I JUST WANT FOLDERS ETC, TO GO BACK TO RIGHTFUL PLACES.
    > | 1 MORE THING, HOW DO I KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE RUNNING AND WHAT DOESNT? AND
    > | WHERE DO I FIND THAT INFO?
    > | DONT LOVE US NON-COMP USERS...LOL
    > | PPPLLLZZZ HELP ME
    > |
    > | OTISE
    If I understand you correctly, you are looking for tweaks: 1.) to remove
    unnecessary startup programs 2.) to remove unnecessary services 3.) to
    manage virtual memory - pagefile.sys 4.) possibly connection speeds.

    These tweaks are generally for power users without sufficient ram or
    poor disk/file maintenance habits and really need consideration before
    implementing. If you tweak it you better know/remember how to reverse it.

    #1 You can do by removing from your startup options and/or disabling
    from the systray.

    #2 Do a google search and choose after reading a lot. I've found so many
    varying opinions and after testing a lot I've re-enable some services.

    A good source for some tweaks is at Kelly's Korner at
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm.

    #3 Diskkeeper 9 will allow you to manipulate your hard drive (beyond
    defragging). For example: I have 1 HD with 3 partitions C:=18.5GB,
    D:=18.5GB & E:=1.6GB. My Pagefile.sys is split over the three drives
    Min & Max set to 2MB on C: & D: and on E: Min is 2MB & Max is 1600MB

    #4 I've used the utilities at speedguide.com to tweak my cable
    connection and you can use it for dsl as-well.

    Philippe L. Balmanno wrote:
    > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    >
    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> "ladyotise" <ladyotise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | OK, I'M SO FRUSTRATED, HOW CAN I GET THIS COMPUTER RUNNING QUIKER, AND
    >> | RESTORE OR FIND A GOOD BACK UP TO DOWNLOAD ME BACK TO THE
    >> "BEGINNING" I
    >> | TRIED TO REINSTALL MY OFFICE XP,,IT SAYS ITS MISSING FILES, YET I AM
    >> USING
    >> | THE DISK?? I JUST WANT FOLDERS ETC, TO GO BACK TO RIGHTFUL PLACES.
    >> | 1 MORE THING, HOW DO I KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE RUNNING AND WHAT DOESNT?
    >> AND
    >> | WHERE DO I FIND THAT INFO?
    >> | DONT LOVE US NON-COMP USERS...LOL
    >> | PPPLLLZZZ HELP ME
    >> |
    >> | OTISE
    >
    > If I understand you correctly, you are looking for tweaks: 1.) to remove
    > unnecessary startup programs 2.) to remove unnecessary services 3.) to
    > manage virtual memory - pagefile.sys 4.) possibly connection speeds.
    >
    > These tweaks are generally for power users without sufficient ram or
    > poor disk/file maintenance habits and really need consideration before
    > implementing. If you tweak it you better know/remember how to reverse it.
    >
    > #1 You can do by removing from your startup options and/or disabling
    > from the systray.
    >
    > #2 Do a google search and choose after reading a lot. I've found so many
    > varying opinions and after testing a lot I've re-enable some services.
    >
    > A good source for some tweaks is at Kelly's Korner at
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm.
    >
    > #3 Diskkeeper 9 will allow you to manipulate your hard drive (beyond
    > defragging). For example: I have 1 HD with 3 partitions C:=18.5GB,
    > D:=18.5GB & E:=1.6GB. My Pagefile.sys is split over the three drives
    > Min & Max set to 2MB on C: & D: and on E: Min is 2MB & Max is 1600MB
    >
    > #4 I've used the utilities at speedguide.com to tweak my cable
    > connection and you can use it for dsl as-well.
    Sorry Tom, it was supposed to be posted under OTISE's post.

    ladyotise wrote:
    > OK, I'M SO FRUSTRATED, HOW CAN I GET THIS COMPUTER RUNNING QUIKER,
    > AND RESTORE OR FIND A GOOD BACK UP TO DOWNLOAD ME BACK TO THE
    > "BEGINNING" I TRIED TO REINSTALL MY OFFICE XP,,IT SAYS ITS MISSING
    > FILES, YET I AM USING THE DISK?? I JUST WANT FOLDERS ETC, TO GO BACK
    > TO RIGHTFUL PLACES. 1 MORE THING, HOW DO I KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE
    > RUNNING AND WHAT DOESNT? AND WHERE DO I FIND THAT INFO?
    > DONT LOVE US NON-COMP USERS...LOL
    > PPPLLLZZZ HELP ME
    >
    > OTISE

    When you use something for the first time, you read up on how to use it.
    Please lose the caps, it's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes
    your posts very hard to read.

    Read the following sites to learn all about Usenet and how to post: -

    How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to Act Smart on Usenet

    Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

    How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups

    Otherwise, you might as well try here:

    Psychic Friends Network