Sign in with
Your question

Computer parts needed

Last response: in Deals
March 1, 2011 4:21:15 AM

Hi all,

To assist another reader in resolving their issue, I'm posting a thread to show him there are good people here on toms that would be willing to donate some spare parts so he can build a capable gaming system. Capable being able to play up to a mid level game without a slideshow.

If you have some parts you want to send his way, please feel free to post here and state what you have. Later I will repost and list what we have and state what else is still needed.

I would be more formal about this but its real late and I'm nodding off at the keyboard.

Here's the original thread so you can get up to speed:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305359-31-second-comp...

More about : computer parts needed

March 1, 2011 9:36:33 AM

Posting so I can find again. I doubt I have anything he might want, but you never know.
March 1, 2011 9:58:51 AM

True to that. I think I will have some parts, I just have to go through some things to see what I can come up with.

I think I have an older 8800GTS 320 & a newer 5550 card that came with a TV tuner. Also a Gigabyte motherboard I'm trying to convince them to repair & I should hear something today or tomorrow. Its a 775 socket mobo but thats quite capable of playing todays games with the right CPU.

Also, an Antec 430 truepower trio PSU that I need to retest to see if its ok. If not, I can try to contact Antec to see if its still under warranty. That one is iffy.

I have a couple of cases, nothing special but will hold parts to play a game.

I myself can probably round up half of what he needs. I know Toms peeps can out do me. =)
Related resources
March 1, 2011 10:08:53 AM

Lets see if this helps people to figure out what to look for. I'll list parts needed to build a system and you can repost and copy & edit next to the item. We may end up with 5 or 6 PSU's so by doing this we can pick the best out of the pack and go with that.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (Possible RMA);

CPU:

CPU Cooler:

Thermal Paste:

Memory:

PSU: Antec 430 Truepower (needs tested);

Video Card: 8800GTS 320mb; 5550 ATI;

DVD Drive:

Hard Drive:

Cooling Fans:

Keyboard:

Mouse:

Speakers:

Case:

This should get us started. Lets see what Toms can add to it...

March 1, 2011 11:40:49 AM

Gosh, I might have an IDE Cdrom around here somewhere, 52x or something. I know I don't have a DVD reader, but if nobody else can come up with one....
March 1, 2011 1:55:16 PM

Awesome! Every piece helps...
March 1, 2011 2:00:24 PM

Parts I might have right now, an old 12x DVD rom, and an x1800xt. I've been tempted up grade my PSU, so I might have either an old SP450 or EA500 to send him. I feel a bit bad considering his wordings, but I'm bigger then that.
March 1, 2011 6:18:10 PM

I'm... shocked, I have to admit. Three people willing to donate random parts... that's three more than I would have expected, and in under 12 hours from the original post...
March 1, 2011 7:17:18 PM

There's more to come. The only thing you need to do is apologize not to me but to the others in the original post for your abrasiveness. Your a good guy and I can see that and everyone else will too once you let them know it wasn't anything personal.

Also, you should thank everyone in advance for their act of kindness with their donations. You don't have to be lengthy or elaborate, just be sincere...
March 1, 2011 9:48:21 PM

I already donated most of my extra DDR2. What else do you need?

I have an extra 160GB HDD that I could send if you really need it.

I also have extra legal copies of Windows XP (64-bit if you want, FYI: Windows 7 doesn't need activation for permanent usage).

I could spare a couple case fans if you can tell me the size you need.

I have extra IDE cables and some 6-pin adapters if you need those.

On account of me having slight use for some of these parts--anything other than windows or cables/adapters requires you to pay shipping.
March 1, 2011 10:10:25 PM

As far as operating systems go, I've got access to a Win7 license, three windows XP licenses, and two Vista license (if I ever get that desperate, my I be struck dead with lightening... or at least have a frozen turkey fall from a jet and nail me in the head) along with... 5? yeah, 5 Server OS licenses, which actually work just fine, if you're willing to put up with it whining every time you shut down or reboot your computer.

The hard drive... Is there any way to hook a modern laptop hard drive up to an IDE cable? some kind of converter block for the (correct my knowledge if I'm wrong) SATA connector, like they have for the really new computers to hook up a 3.5 floppy? (Don't know WHY anyone would hook up a 3.5 floppy at this stage in tech, but I'm sure there's uses.) If so, I have several externals that can be used.

Shipping isn't an issue, I'm more than willing to reimburse anyone for shipping, if they are willing to wait until after I receive the package so I have a return shipping address o.o

Graphics cards, I have two of laying around... One's a PNY GeForce 8400 (PCI standard, 64-bit GPU and 512 on board video ram), the other is a Sparkle GeForce 9500 (PCI-e x16 Silent - by the way, do 'silent' video cards, the ones with the huge heat sink, burn out faster than ones with fans? - 128-bit processor 1g ram)

Also, since I probably know the term, just not the acronym, what does PSU stand for?
March 1, 2011 10:32:54 PM

Power Supply Unit (PSU)

You'll probably want to hook up the modern laptop hard drive to a SATA cable. If you don't have SATA power connectors, I can mail one. Also, you'll probably want to use a SATA cable. If no one has extras, you can find them for less than $3 on Amazon.

The 9500GT could play most games, but the 8800GTS is significantly beefier. I don't know much about 'silent' lifetimes, but I've never had one break in my limited experience.
March 2, 2011 12:33:43 AM

Here's all the options so far:

Motherboard: ( englandr753 - Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (Possible RMA));

CPU: (775 socket cpu needed - the more powerful the better unless you can donate equivalent or better cpu/mobo combo)

CPU Cooler: (englandr753 - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ocz_vendetta_re... ) 120mm cooling fan missing

Thermal Paste: (dalauder - thermal paste);

Memory: DDR2 needed - any size

PSU: (englandr753 - Antec 430 Truepower (needs tested));
(4745454b - SP450 or EA500 PSU);

Video Card: (englandr753 - 8800GTS 320mb; 5550 ATI) ;
(4745454b - X1800XT);

DVD Drive: (someone19 - IDE Cdrom);
(4745454b - 12x DVD Rom);

Hard Drive: (dalauder - 160GB HDD)

Cooling Fans: (dalauder - 1-2 case fans);

Keyboard: already has this item

Mouse: already has this item

Speakers: already has this item

Case:
March 2, 2011 1:27:56 AM

Dalauder - He will need at least 1 - 120mm fan for the cpu cooler. I had to rob the cooling fan for another application. Once we determine what case he will be using, we can better tell what other fans to request so we will let you know then.

Good news on the motherboard. This is from Gigabyte:

Dear Customer,

We will process this request as a exceptional out of warranty repair, please use the RMA#USA-1xxxxx to send in the board to us. We will do our best to repair the board but please also understand due to the availability of parts for older models we will not be able to guarantee the repair.

This is great news! Not a guaranteed fix but they agreed to try. It will most likely get fixed. It will be a 2 week turn around then I will have to ship it to you once I receive it back.

One thing though, I do need to offer this to my buddy to trade for his motherboard as I already offered it to him last week (completely forgot about that). If he turns it down, its yours. If he wants it, you will get his board which is a decent board, same socket but supports ddr2/ddr3. I will let you know that in advance before I receive it back from the RMA.

Either way, you have a free, working board (as long as Gigabyte can repair it)...
March 2, 2011 1:56:06 AM

CPU: Microcenter has $15 775 P4 520 HT's. You can post a thread on Tom's though and see if you can find something better. Ebay actually has decent 775 CPU prices.

CPU Cooler: 120mm fan for the CPU cooler? You know they have those at Micro center for like $1.99. I do have one though that I can ship. But I'd prefer to Paypal someone $2 to pick it up at Micro Center since I live in Guam and can't replace my extra parts at retail.

Thermal Paste: I've got some in a packet that came with my CPU cooler. It's not a pretty syringe, but it should get it done.

Hard Drive: My 160GB IDE or Dragonorb13's notebook SATA drive. About my drive--keep track of how many IDE drives we use and how many IDE connectors the mobo has. We also need to make sure the case can mount both an HDD and Optical drive with the same IDE cable (distance between devices is limiting). I have a molex to SATA power adapter, if helpful, but no SATA cables that are not currently in use.

Cooling fans: All my fans use motherboard pins--so the motherboard matters if you don't have molex to 3-pin adapters. We'll see what we can do, but someone else might have more useful fans.

OS: Dragonorb13 has me beat actually. But you're welcome to use my Windows XP if you want.

March 2, 2011 2:11:11 AM

Well, how I'm listing everything thats been offered is I'm placing the item and the person that offered it so you can see from the chart how many posters have offered what parts.

This will make it easier to see what he has available and it will also make it easier for those new to the thread to see what he needs so they can easily see if they have it or not. So, with that said, its not a definite hes going to use your XP but at least we know its in the offering pot...
March 2, 2011 2:42:13 AM

Mouse, keyboard and speakers I actually have, and it turns out the school I go to is contemplating requesting the hard drives back from all of the students that were issued them, so dunno if they are going to let me keep it or not... Frankly, though, 160g is more than enough, given that we have a 1.5t external that we use for storage.

Does the Mobo have PS/2 slots for the mouse and keyboard, or does it only use USB? I can use either, just wondering what I might need to break out later. And yeah, if your friend wants it, go ahead and give it to him, I can most certainly handle the prior claim.

March 2, 2011 4:07:14 AM

Keep the format as you have englandr753. At least I've got thermal paste, a 120mm fan, Win XP, and a 160GB drive.
March 2, 2011 5:51:59 AM

It looks like we are down to the cpu, memory & case. As I said, I have a few cases around that could work so that will be taken care of if no one else makes an offer.

A low level Core 2 Duo and 1-2 gigs of ram and we are set!

March 2, 2011 7:46:34 AM

Quote:
Graphics cards, I have two of laying around... One's a PNY GeForce 8400 (PCI standard, 64-bit GPU and 512 on board video ram)

I've always wanted a straight PCI card just for backup purposes. I'll wait a bit and see what he needs. If he's willing to straight trade me the card for a mobo or CPU I'll go buy one of whatever he needs to finish this.
March 2, 2011 12:10:31 PM

4745454b said:
If he's willing to straight trade me the card for a mobo or CPU I'll go buy one of whatever he needs to finish this.

Now thats a bargain. I have a strong feeling that today is the day we finalize the parts list. I can feel it... :bounce: 
March 2, 2011 2:59:20 PM

I think when I researched his server I read that the CPU are permanently attached to the board. If they can be removed and if they are S775, he might have his CPU.
March 2, 2011 6:46:11 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:
Graphics cards, I have two of laying around... One's a PNY GeForce 8400 (PCI standard, 64-bit GPU and 512 on board video ram)

I've always wanted a straight PCI card just for backup purposes. I'll wait a bit and see what he needs. If he's willing to straight trade me the card for a mobo or CPU I'll go buy one of whatever he needs to finish this.

Yes, I'd be more than willing to trade the PCI video card for a motherboard. I feel obligated to warn you that I paid far less for the card (60 USD, including shipping) than you'll pay for a motherboard that will handle anything more intensive than DigDug. But if, with that warning, you still want to trade, I'm more than willing.
I should also state that, as shocked as I am by the kindness shown here, I'm still paranoid and would want to have, at the minimum, a shipping order for the motherboard before I sent off the card.
Also, if you get a board that takes DDR1 PC2600 I can salvage ram out of a friend's server... Yeah, there probably aren't any that take that type, but just looking at what I can do to help.
I would think this obvious, but if you buy it used, it WOULD need at least one PCI-x x16... Given, since that's the size of the card I have, but just thought I'd mention.

As far as the CPUs go, they are permanently attached to the server... Already located the chips for them, no dice on salvaging that.
March 2, 2011 11:14:21 PM

Oh, I have a free 775 board that takes DDR1, but I think it only has two RAM slots. I've got two sticks of 512MB DDR1 (I think that's what they are), but you might be able to do better than 1GB total. If possible, stick with a DDR2 board. I'm not sure what CPUs the board supports though--I think I can guarantee Pentium 4 HT and Pentium D though. I'm sure it won't do Core 2 Quads, but maybe C2D.
March 2, 2011 11:33:09 PM

Well, if you can get the one with DDR2, I could probably find some spare ram at my school, depending on the exact type of DDR2 (remember, most chips come in different pin counts, and even in the pin counts, there's different model types).
March 2, 2011 11:41:32 PM

If your server takes DDR1, then its a socket 478 era P4. No chance of reusing them.

I wouldn't be buying a new board, but a used one. I'm sure I can grab an AM2 or S775 board off my favorite used forum for ~$40 shipped to your door. I got my x38 board about a year ago for $75 shipped.
March 3, 2011 12:07:35 AM

Just saw this in that forum I talked about.

Intel Core2 6300 CPU IntelDG965RY W/RocketFish Heatsink$40.00

$40 will get you the E6300, an Intel board, and a heatsink that looks a lot like the Hyper 212+. Not bad for $40. He has a 30GB Zune for $30 so I'll probably buy that off of him for sure. I'll be happy to buy that combo in exchange for a cross ship on that video card. Do you know when you can send it out? I'll see if he'll mail two packages sending the combo straight to you. You'll pretty much just need ram at this point.
March 3, 2011 12:11:40 AM

That's not necessarily true. I have a socket 775 that takes DDR1. But maybe that's the case for servers. Either way, you probably don't want my board. I might use it if I can find a Pentium 4 HT on the cheap that ships to Guam.
March 3, 2011 1:10:08 AM

I can send it out as soon as I get confirmation that the packaging is on it's way and you send me a *private* message with your mailing address. I have it here and all boxed up. I was going to RMA it to Amazon, but i'd rather get something useful out of it :p  I'll send you a private message with my mailing info.
March 3, 2011 1:47:40 AM

Nice find on the E6300. How do those things overclock? I'd imagine it'll need to hit 2.5GHz (from 1.86 stock) to really utilize an 8800. What forum is that on btw? I need some parts.
March 3, 2011 3:14:24 AM

As a 65nm C2D they should clock as high as 3.2-3.6. The issue with that one is the low multiplier. 1.86GHz / 266 = 7. So assuming you have good enough cooling, I would expect most of them to do 400MHz x 7 = 2.8GHz. Someone who has more experience with them could probably answer better, but high 2 to low 3GHz is probably possible. The problem is that Intel board probably can't OC much at all. Looks like an entry level board,and Intel usually rips all the OCing ability out of them.

March 3, 2011 4:30:14 AM

As far as cooling goes, THAT I can handle... If I don't have the fans, someone at my school definitely will... and if THEY don't, my parents do a lot of computer work... and where quality doesn't save you, quantity certain will... and if all else fails, I can make a mod to the case shell, or make my own side panel out of a box case fan o.o I'd have to look up how to OC, though, as I've no clue
March 3, 2011 5:17:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about OCing, not with that board. As I said, I doubt Intel will have left a lot of OCing in it.

Your parents do a lot of computer work and you can't get any parts from them?
March 3, 2011 5:35:10 AM

They moved about two years ago, into a much smaller (and substantially more expensive, go figure) house, and got rid of a lot of stuff they didn't have an immediate use for, and most of the rest of it is in storage... about the only things I'm certain I can get off them is fans and screws (my old man has a large toolbox full of computer screws. WHERE he got that many, I have no clue). Mostly they do work as gov't contractors, so they don't get to bring parts home, but they get work sometimes from their coworkers for 'oops, I have cockroaches in my computer' work. And, no, I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I was there for the roach infestation. They thought taking the blanks off the case would "give the computer better circulation"
March 3, 2011 8:16:49 AM

The 6300 is a much better CPU. The issue is the board most likely won't let you OC it. You'll have to get it and see. It use it just so you have something, and keep your eye out for a different S775 board if you need the extra speed.
March 3, 2011 8:46:36 AM

Will do, thanks. PM me when you hear back from him about it :D 
March 3, 2011 10:13:06 PM

*blinks a little* Wait a minute... the CPU that comes with it is a 1.86 ghz... how is it better than a 3.06? I mean, i might be missing something, but if it's got 80% more *possible* power, wouldn't it be better? o.o
March 4, 2011 12:39:48 AM

The link didn't work for me, but I'm assuming it was Pentium 4 HT? The idea is that new architecture can get more work done in each clock cycle. That's why an i5-2500 matches a Phenom II x6 or an i7-2600 matches an i7-990X even though they've got 2/3 as many cores.

Also, the Pentium 4 HT's were single core with Hyper Threading. The Core 2 Duos were full dual core. Pentium D's were more ore less two old Pentium 4's fused together if you linked that.
March 4, 2011 3:32:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

Here's all the options so far:

Motherboard: (4745454b - Intel Motherboard)

CPU: (4745454b - Core 2 Duo E6300)

CPU Cooler: (4745454b - CPU cooler similar to Hyper 212)

Thermal Paste: (dalauder - thermal paste);

Memory: DDR2 needed - any size

PSU: (englandr753 - Antec 430 Truepower (needs tested));

Video Card: (englandr753 - 8800GTS 320mb)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive: (someone19 - IDE Cdrom);
(4745454b - 12x DVD Rom);

Hard Drive: (dalauder - 160GB HDD)

Cooling Fans: (dalauder - 1-2 case fans);

Keyboard: already has this item

Mouse: already has this item

Speakers: already has this item

Case:

dragonorb13, did I read you could get ddr2? Let me know and I'll mark that off. So far, I see that I'm sending my 8800GTS 320.

What about the PSU? Want me to test mine or were you going to send one 4745454b?
March 4, 2011 5:24:07 AM

I should be able to handle the ram, yeah... It's something small enough that my parents MIGHT have kept some on hand in case theirs went bad. If they don't, at least one or two of the gamers at my school might have a stick or two. If that fails, New Egg has 'em for 16.99 per gig stick. I might not be able to afford them this month, but I can next moth. And it will probably take a couple weeks to get the rest of the parts here, anyways.

By the way, Englandr, did I read the specs wrong when I looked them up, or is that video card you have on the list a 320-bit GPU? because I didn't even know they made them that powerful.

And... the thermal paste goes between the CPU and the CPU's heat sink, right?

Also, with the CPU thing, if I understand this correctly, the CPU still operates at 1.86ghz (or completes 1,997,159,792.64 calculations per clock cycle), but the clock cycles are shorter, allowing it to complete more calculations per second because it has more cycles per second? Or am I reversing the cause and effect? I'm mentally comparing this to a .45 with standard ammunition and a .33 with hollow points... less powerful gun doing as much damage.
March 4, 2011 5:47:57 AM

I'm not sure if he'll need paste or not. If the guy ships it with the HSF still on (which is a shipping no no.) then he won't need it. I believe I said I was thinking of upgrading my PSU, but I ended up buying a 30GB zune and an Antec 300 so I'm not buying anything until after my wife settles down. (Haven't even told her I bought the case...) I don't have any spare modern PSUs at the moment.

The easiest way I can explain this dragon is with the P4. A northwood P4 has around 20 "stages" that info needs to be processed through. I think the P3 had around 12, and the original S423 P4 had ~18. Its been so long I've forgot. By increasing the number of stages that info had to be processed through Intel could ramp the frequency up. To prevent the chips from being total duds they developed HT so that each single core could do a bit more work. But this was well before consumer programs were ready for multi cores so HT didn't do much to increase performance.

The problem is if your pipeline is long, you might have a faster frequency, but you have more stops to make. Who cares if your bus is super fast if it has twice as many stops to make. The Athlons of the day had around 12 stages in its pipeline, which helped them alot when the Presshot P4s showed up with a ~32 stage pipeline. C2D brought Intel back to reality and they have focused on Instruction per clock (IPC) a lot more now.

If someone wanted to I'm sure they could make a 10GHz CPU. But with todays manufacturering technology I'm sure the IPC would be horrible.
March 4, 2011 5:52:24 AM

I see, so, it's kind of like the difference between a interstate highway going 55, and the turnpike going 70... but with toll booths every 100 miles. All well and great that you're going faster, but that's probably completely nullified, if not outweighed, by the regular stops to throw money at a machine/cashier. If you're stopping more often, it offsets the higher speeds.
March 4, 2011 6:25:01 AM

Pretty much. There are other things that can effect it as well. What if your 55MPH road could handle big rigs, but your 70MPH road can only handle passenger cars. You'll need to make more trips to move the same amount. (larger vs smaller L2 cache.)

You could also have the issue of number of lanes. Who cares if you can go 75MPH if its a tiny 4 lane hwy? 55MPH and 8 lanes will allow more cars on it at once. (Slow FSB vs high speed serial bus.) There are so many things that can effect how "fast" a CPU is that to look only at one is a bad decision. They all come together to form the CPU, you have to look at them all.

Don't feel to bad about that 6300 either. When it came out it was faster then even the 3.73GHz P4 EE. Its not a bad chip.
March 4, 2011 7:44:46 AM

Lol, I don't feel bad, I've always been the tech support, not the builder... for some reason, I never had a need to learn this stuff because nobody I've ever known asked me to help them shop for a computer for more than surfing the web and low level data processing... I'm just the one they want to FIX the computer when smoke starts coming out -.-" Makes me happy both of my parents work computers... At least I know they won't ever call to ask why the computer they locked in a small box with no ventilation just caught fire (I actually knew someone that had her computer in a press board box barely large enough to close around it, and she took out the cooling fans... then wondered why the box lit up like fireworks two hours after she turned it on).
March 4, 2011 9:56:48 AM

Hey, question about that board, if anyone knows... I was wondering if it's one that requires same-size RAM chips, or if I can use one chip at a time in it. I know that some boards (like servers, older boards, higher end gaming boards, and boards that use old chip sets like anything sold by Dell) require pairs, while others let you use just one chip or chips of differing sizes (my parents have a fairly old tower that has only 3 ram slots on it, and it has all different size ram in it). Just wondering if I gotta buy it in pairs, or if I'll be able to use this rig this month. I might have enough to buy one 1gig chip this go around, but even that's iffy depending on what the shipping costs.
March 4, 2011 11:00:30 AM

It should be your normal DDR2 board. (it has the 965 chipset, so nothing exotic.) You should be able to put any DDR2 memory in there. There is the matter of identical pairs allowing you to run the memory in dual channel mode, but that doesn't speed things up drastically.

Don't forget to check your local Craigs list. I sold 2GBs of ram on there for $20, and I just saw someone on mine sell two 1GB sticks for $10.
March 4, 2011 11:06:05 AM

Roger that, I most certainly will do that. Thanks again.
March 4, 2011 12:35:12 PM

For fun, I was looking on craigslist since you mentioned that and this is the funniest thing I found listed:

ddr2 2gig
onboard 6100 gpu geforce 430 under a gold heat sink.
bpue pcie socket 4 pci white slots
blue motherboard orange cpu holder <<<<<<<<<<< my favorite part
comes with amd 5000+ 2008 cpu
amd mobo memory for a hundred bucks contact bingodingo4 skype

That was my LOL for the day...
!