Best PC Game Graphics To Date?

Last response: in Video Games
February 27, 2009 12:53:57 PM

^^ tr00f
Related resources
February 27, 2009 10:33:26 PM

crysis warhead, beats farcry 2 into the dust
March 1, 2009 8:24:03 AM

Crysis on Ultra High with the Natural Mod from the Crymod website.
March 4, 2009 3:00:40 AM

Anything other than Crysis? I'm looking for a game to really work my 2 4870x2's Crossfired
March 4, 2009 6:07:30 AM

wick001 said:
Anything other than Crysis? I'm looking for a game to really work my 2 4870x2's Crossfired

Crysis is about as tough as it gets, depending on your resolution theres little else out there to really strain those cards. a single 4870 can eat oblivion even with lots of mods at "normal" resolutions. What sort of resolution are you running at?
March 4, 2009 9:14:14 AM

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky should tax your setup but I'm not sure if it's patched to run under a quad fire setup.
March 4, 2009 1:18:03 PM

MegapowersXXL said:
Crysis on Ultra High with the Natural Mod from the Crymod website.

What does the Natural Mod do? Does it make Crysis run slower?
March 4, 2009 6:36:49 PM

The Natural Mod adds photorealistic lighting effects to the game and yes, it will make it run slower. The difference is astounding. I showed it a friend who is a hard core gamer and his jaw dropped stating it's the best graphics he's ever seen and I agree with him. You can find more info here:

http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?fileid=763.

I'm running it at okay frame rates on an core i7 system with 6 gb of DDR 3 ram and an overclocked GTX 280. This is at 1900x1200

There is no game out there that will tax your graphics cards as much as Crysis will even though it came out in late 2007, plus you can get it cheaply. I've heard that GTA IV is rather taxing but more on the processor than on the GPUs.

Also, to really work your 4870s, run them on a 30" monitor which is why a poster above asked about the res your using.
March 5, 2009 2:53:52 AM

MegapowersXXL said:
The Natural Mod adds photorealistic lighting effects to the game and yes, it will make it run slower. The difference is astounding. I showed it a friend who is a hard core gamer and his jaw dropped stating it's the best graphics he's ever seen and I agree with him. You can find more info here:

http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?fileid=763.

I'm running it at okay frame rates on an core i7 system with 6 gb of DDR 3 ram and an overclocked GTX 280. This is at 1900x1200

There is no game out there that will tax your graphics cards as much as Crysis will even though it came out in late 2007, plus you can get it cheaply. I've heard that GTA IV is rather taxing but more on the processor than on the GPUs.

Also, to really work your 4870s, run them on a 30" monitor which is why a poster above asked about the res your using.

What settings & FPS are you getting with the Natural Mod? and are you using crysis benchmark tool? Please list all settings
March 5, 2009 6:08:50 PM

I have Crysis set at 1920x1200 with 2x aa and all settings at very high. Actually texture, shadow and shader qualities are all at custom from the mod. Using the benchmark I average about 20 fps which is lower than I thought and pretty low overall but still playable by me. May not be for others.

I just saw that you have 4870x2s. I thought they were just 4870s. Your crossfired 4870x2's should eat this game alive.

But again, this is most graphically intensive game that I know of. What else do you need to know?
March 5, 2009 10:17:56 PM

I installed the natural mod yesterday, the sun looks amazing on "Contact" at dawn.

I get 50fps on crysis bench 1680x1050 4x aa, dx10, 64bit
March 6, 2009 3:30:59 AM

That's pretty sweet! Yeah, I'm playing it on Vist 64 on DX 10 as well. 1680x1050? What size of monitor do you have? If you really want to tax those 4870x2s, you'll need 30" monitors to run the high resolutions.
March 12, 2009 5:16:50 AM

Far cry 2, sega rally revo, grid, should look pretty sweet on your video card. But you will get at least 80 fps in each game because they are not as graphical as crysis or crysis warhead, but the closest games(graphics wise).
March 16, 2009 5:39:44 AM

Grid looks nice that and warhead the reason crysis taxes a system is because the graphics are not effectivly presented Warhead is way better in the way the graphics are used. to me its more important that there is an artfullness to the graphics so it runs cleaner and gives deeper immersion by not having to chug in certain areas, STALKER Clear sky is ok but the ambient sound is what makes it great, I hated the constant drums in farcry but loved the interactive folage, to test out the cards get Oblivion plus realism and overhaul mods (the open cities mod esp), same with STALKER mod the games out to really push the cards i put Fallout3 maxed out on my dual HD4870's but the damn things that buggy it slows down for no dicernable reason in some areas. had to run it windowed to play it with everything maxed out graphically without crashing the box (Be sure to install all updates) .
Motherboard: GA-X48T-DQ6
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500@ 3.16GHz OCED TO 3.80GHz
Videocard Name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (two of crossfired)
Corsair Memory: 3,325.58 MB DDR31600MHz
Monitor Viewsonic: VX2233wm
March 16, 2009 3:06:06 PM

I am fairly impressed with Dead Space's graphics. Crysis is down the toilet because you can't play it with AA and an SLI setup with a good sound card. Far Cry 2 is good graphic but multiplayer is a joke so no thanks! But actually probably Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper has the best graphics to date. My GTX 280 SLI rig cannot play this game. Everyone who says Crysis is either a noob or an ATI fanboi.
March 16, 2009 4:41:37 PM

Anyone can use higher res textures and add more effects to make it look cool, but if only 5% of gamers get to see those in all there glory, I have a tough time saying "best". The best to me would be fantastic looking and playable on a good range of systems due to good coding. I'm tired of waiting 2-4 years to max a game out when I have a more than capable system (i7 920 9GB & 4870 @ 1920x1200). That said, gimme FC2 over Crysis anyday, why? Because it honestly looks better on my system because I can turn it up.... "AND" play.

If I can't see them while playing, then they are not the better graphics imo.
April 1, 2009 1:39:36 PM

im new at this...im just wondering..how do you overclocked yor CPU from 3.16 to 3.80.....i just build my gaming PC..i was low in budget...so this what i got,,,,i want to overclocked my CPU ..i dnt know how....im thinkin going SLI with other card.,,,i run Crysis Warhead in gamer settings real smooth,,,,but i think it will look much better with Dual SLI.....any opinions ..let me know ..please....

ASUS M4N74-E SLI 750A MOBO
AMD 64 PHENOM X4 2.2 GHZ
OCZ 4GB RAM PC6400 800MHZ SLI EDITION
NVIDIA 9600 GT OVERCLOCKED EDITION 512 MB (x1)
ACER 19" MONITOR AL1912
April 1, 2009 2:52:45 PM

Overclocking isnt a simple thing, its a whole science mate and there is a forum dedicated to it which would be a good starting point.

It looks like you got the same CPU as me which is an AMD Phenon 9500 or 9550, and that was a relatively simple overclock. I havent overvolted but only got a rise of .3Ghz...not a great overclocker.
Im interested to know who you post that you have a 2.2Ghz CPU and yet your opening line suggests you want to OC from 3.16 to 3.8
April 1, 2009 3:36:43 PM

i posted to Lobi,,,,,cause i read in his post he overclocked his CPU....from 3.16..to 3.80.....i got curious ..because thats a lot,, thats why....mine CPU is 9500 amd phenom...i started doin some research in the net about overclockin,,guides,,etc.. i have read a lot of guides...but im not sure doin it to my CPU....the thing i was confuse about was the memory divider...i couldnt found it in the BIOS....my MOBO came with a program that you can overclock CPU from the OS......hopefully someone help me with my doubt..!!!!
April 1, 2009 7:26:30 PM

another thing,,,,,,when i first bought my parts for my PC...the Mobo was an XFX nForce 750a SLI AM+2....im building PC since 2004....and i couldnt mount it with the XFX...that freekin MOBO...give all kind of codes....the last one was code 88 it wasnt even in the manual,,,,i try everything,,,i take out the Video Card..i manage to boot the MOBO but it was fom the VGA...cause the DVI didnt work either,,,,meanwhile i started putting the OS and it frozed 3 times before the installation of windows all 3 times in the same page,,,i got mAD,,, and I end it with the Asus MB.....so my question is...if anyone here have tried that XFX MObo???,,,,if someone do...please let me know if it gives the same error code...or if someone acomplish to make it work.....sorry for my incovenience.....thnks!!!!!!

April 1, 2009 7:30:45 PM

jajaj its me again...simple question.......its reallly SLI worth it?????????.......for the money and the grahics..........??????????
April 2, 2009 4:18:24 PM

Hi,

With everything turned on at high, at 1920 X 1080, I get ~ 35 fps with my config. Is this good?

C2D E4400 2.0Ghz
4GB Apacer RAM
XFX 9500GT 512MB GDDR3
200GB Samsung HD
Anonymous
April 9, 2009 5:44:48 AM

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to cpu's infact I'm probably illiterate in comparison with you guys. Anyway i just bought an Asus g50 with a nvidia geforce 9800 gfx card and 4 gs of ram and I put the display resolution at 1366 x 786. would it be able to handle crysis and crysis warefare?
April 9, 2009 11:57:37 PM

"Graphics" to me means the entire visual experience, not just still shots. Crysis might look the best in just a still picture, but when it doesn't run very good, the overall "graphical" experience takes a drop. I prefer the Call of Duty graphical experience over Crysis. It runs great and looks great. Crysis looks great, but runs bad, that's not "best graphics" in my opinion.
April 12, 2009 5:54:14 AM

yeah Crysis for me hands down...
April 14, 2009 5:05:42 AM

Most Technical: Crysis: Warhead
Most Artistic: Team Fortress 2, Bioshock
Most Brown: Far Cry 2
Most Grey: Gears of War
April 14, 2009 9:20:41 AM

WIll the natural mod run on a 9800 gt?
April 14, 2009 7:33:50 PM

Pershing121 said:
WIll the natural mod run on a 9800 gt?

I run the natural mod on my 8800 GTS 640, but I have some custom config files, to fake high settings in DX9.
But I think this defeating the purpose of the mod. I get like 25-30 FPS @ 1440x900 no AA X8 AF. But I doubt I am getting the full benefit of the mod as I don't have the hardware to fully implement it. My Crysis still looks pretty good, but definitely no where near ULTRA settings.
April 26, 2009 11:43:28 AM

Crysis Warhead looks better than Crysis ...
July 15, 2009 8:01:23 AM

i dont think you can run crysis on enthusiast setting with anything less than a GTX 260 or a radeon 4870 and have it be enjoyable. i run it with a 4890 oc'd to 980mgz at the core clock and its pretty good about 45fps on enthusiast settings 4x AA and 8x AF with the natural 2.0 (all with dx 10.1). anyways so if you want to play and actually enjoy crysis you got to have a pretty good setup personally i just shelled out the money for a good setup when the i7 came out because it wont be out of date for a while not to mention DDR3 is going mainstream too...

system specs. 8gb DDR3 1333mgz, i7 at 2.66ghz, Gigabyte x58 mobo, Radeon 4890 oc'd (xfx), 2x 500gb seagate hard drives in RAID 0, vista 64 bit (obviously)
July 17, 2009 7:23:55 PM

Good to know i'm going to try this game out.

In about two weeks I'm going to buy an awesome pc.

With 8 GB Ram DDR3

Radeon 2x 4890 Crossfired!

3.2 Ghz Quad Core

Raid 0 Configuration on 2x 1 TB HDD

And a asrock DDR3 motherboard.

It's going to be the most awesome pc ever x'D

Well if i had a sli motherboard with 2x GTX 295 SLI, but that's impossible with my budget XD, with anyone's budget :p  I will still get 150 fps on best settings in Crysis x'D, I think
July 21, 2009 4:34:37 AM

Crysis/Crysis Warhead...nothing even comes close
July 22, 2009 10:03:48 AM

call of Juarez bound in blood also looks nice. Does anyone actualy play crysis or is everyone running it just for the graphics?
August 7, 2009 3:49:10 AM

meewog said:
call of Juarez bound in blood also looks nice. Does anyone actualy play crysis or is everyone running it just for the graphics?

i play online in crysis all the time xD
August 7, 2009 6:43:06 PM

Crysis has great graphics and is fun to play in the single player mode, but online gets boring fast. The graphics are amazing with the natural mod and I have a 8800 GT.. Honestly, if you want better graphics then crysis, you will have to wait for modern warfare 2 to come out or for operation flashpoint: dragon rising. These two games will have some amazing graphics. :D 
August 11, 2009 1:56:34 AM

Yeah but I don't see you talking with just an 8800GT.
August 11, 2009 3:36:00 PM

I am getting a second 4870x2 just to i can play starcraft 2 on max settings lol!, I plan on playing in full games with all the eye candy turned on. to THE MAX! haha.

Not just that, i believe the drivers are mature enough now to actually use 4 gpu's efficiently.
August 12, 2009 1:30:04 AM

How do you intend on doing that. You're only 17. Are your parents rich?
August 12, 2009 6:47:02 AM

CryEngine2 is completely flawlessly. Best up to date graphics at the moment IMO.
August 13, 2009 4:28:59 AM

Hrm will this natural mod run on the crysis demo? Also i have a 4850 1gig and i run on enthusiast at 1650 1080. I looked at screenshot comparisons of the natural mod and normal vhigh settings and i think in some areas it looks better and in others worse. it seens the mod uses to much fog in some areas, it reduces the visibily to much cause of the fog. Now when your by the shore it definitly looks better. Im gonna try it with the demo
August 13, 2009 5:05:03 AM

Ok just checked lol wont run though for some reason it felt more fluid in teh demo hrm. i installed the mod but i had to unselect everything to do it though i dont think it works
August 14, 2009 1:46:27 PM

I've still never owned Crysis, although played it through with friends, how do you think it and the Natural Mod will run on my newly OCd rig?

i7 920 @ 3.46GHz
6GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz
EVGA GTX295 (OCd by ~3%)
Asus P6T Deluxe

I normally run all games at 1920 x 1080.
August 14, 2009 6:22:50 PM

That's what I have and I can max it.
Anonymous
January 11, 2010 8:52:37 AM

My opinion, there are tons of great games with amazing graphics for up to date gaming pc's, but Crysis, Warhead and Wars has all fps shooters beat. Arma and Operation Flashpoint are both right behind crysis, but were both intended for military simulation specifically.

Crysis' Rendering is beyond what most gaming companies have accomplished, especially with the crysis patches and "natural mod" photo realistic lighting, the waves of the water is actually 3d, advanced physics (tornadoes and earthquakes, gravity, and water) for instance, shoot a blue barrel filled with oil, the oil will leak out until it gets to that hole unless you shoot another hole beneath that one.

I'm not a big fan of the controls for crysis driving of land and sea vehicles, but the multilayer texturing and real 3d water and clouds have gone beyond any graphics i've seen in any other game.

I'm running Nvidia Quadro (x4) Quad sli, i9 processor, 24 gb ram, windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
Highest settings with all crysis patches installed, natural mod, and other physics mods.
My pc is hooked up to a 72" HD 1080p Sharp and runs no lag highest settings on my dads 4k theater projector
4k is 1080p x 4 i believe.

for those of you who didn't know, if you have the "Crysis" game disk, if you open it in explorer and double click the sandbox2 folder, cryteck and cryengine basically gave away their editor for crysis maps. but it's a very complicated process to create a custom map. the engine allows you to create the map in realtime with flowing water, AI and physics, which has an option for you to turn "edit mode ai/physics" on or off while you edit. then there's a simple ctrl+g to quickly switch to your player and test, esc to continue editing.

if you're having problems installing, here's what you do:

i'm sure this applies to all windows operating systems, but i've only tried installation on win 7.

start / control panel / User accounts and family safety (or just user accounts) / User Accounts / Change User Account Control Settings

change the slider down to Never Notify (this turns off user account controls)
reboot and you should have no problem installing sandbox2 (cryengine editor)

don't try to download sandbox2 from any torrent or rapidshare, it mostlikely wont work, is a virus or isn't appropriate for your system settings. if you downloaded crysis and have no cd, try to borrow a cd, the editor needs no cd key.

Do not try to download cryengine sandbox3

it's useless for you unless you're editing maps to test on consoles.
cryengine 3 sandbox is specifically for consoles and sucks graphic wise compared to cryengine2 sandbox2 for pc.

need anymore help with anything let me know

my email:
January 11, 2010 10:20:30 AM

Also Shattered Horizon have some very nice graphics.

Anonymous
January 23, 2010 5:29:18 PM

I am running an AMD phenom 9600
Windows 7 pro 64bit
2 gigs ddr2 ram
Geforce 9800 GT low power

all hardware is stock (non overclocked or modded)

I can run Crysis at 1900x1080 and all graphics settings at max (2xaa)

I usually get about 20 fps, but every few minutes it will drop to about 4fps for about 2 seconds
January 25, 2010 11:22:46 PM

I think that we all know that the Crysis series is the best in graphics,but with so many people having trouble running it,even 3yrs after release i dont think it can be counted. I know some people can play it but i think it has to be games that majority of systems can play. Someone mention Grid,now thats a nice looking game,so is Far cry and Far Cry 2,L4D and so on,nothing is really going to beat Crysis yet.
!