switching a bios chip?

10_Beers

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Does anyone know if you can switch a bios chip from one board to a new one? Problem is on my daughters HP Pavilion computer. I believe the MB is bad. Having all sorts of error problems, and quitting in the middle of an operation and rebooting. HP will not answer any questions, except for $30.00 fee..I am wondering if I can take the bios chip out of that board and place in a new matching type board, so it will recognize the "system restore software disks" from HP????? Thanks for any info.

Vonkwink

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I've never heard of this being done (but i havent heard much, so hear from some more reliable people first lol) but I wouldnt recommend it. Those things were not meant to be moved around and ripped out of your motherboard, and they are stuck on there pretty good. You can try it, but you might end up screwing up your daughters comp

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Short answer ... No.

You can, of course, swap bios chips between mobos of identical make and model, but not between two different boards.

The BIOS is written specifically for each make and model of motherboard and the designs vary so widely between even different models of the same make that you will most likely end up with a dead motherboard.

AND... are you sure the problems you're having are bios related?

It sounds to me like it might be OS problems, heat or power supply... it may not be the motherboard at all. You really need to get that system to a technician who can diagnose the problem for you...

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you might be able to do that, because HP uses Asus boards, many of which are standard models. In fact, a better solution might be to buy the SAME HP board on eBay, as the HP version is CHEAPER than the Asus version.

Also, for a few years now HP has been using soldered in BIOS so you can't do what you're talking about. So if your board is old enough and a standard model, you might be able to swap BIOS. Otherwise you can't.

I have an even better solution: Screw the Restore disk. Get a copy of the OEM windows CD for your windows version, and use your old licence number to do a normal load on the new board.

Also be aware that even full ATX HP cases normally come with mATX boards, so they use the lowest rear mount for mATX boards. Many full ATX boards don't use this mount. So if your case is full ATX and you have the extra mount grounding it, make sure you unground it first by covering it with some good electric tape.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
This sounds like a power supply problem more so than a bad motherboard. I'm assuming that it's an older Pavilion and is no longer under warenty?

Unfortunately the PSU is difficult to replace on most Pavilions, as HP uses a smaller model than is the standard.

There are programs out there which can monitor the power supply lines. I believe motherboard monitor is one of them. Try installing one and paying close attention to your 3.3 and 5 volt lines. Alternately try temporarly removing something (such as a CD Rom drive) and seeing if the issue clears up.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.