rick0625

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
My question is this. I have a Phenom x4 9950, 8gigs of ddr2 800 with a HD4870 1gig video card right.. When I am playing world of warcraft my framerate never drops under 60 but when I am in open areas and I turn to look at say like " Open forest" ill spike for a second or two... yet my framerate drops for a tad second then pops right back to 60 fps " Which is max fps on WoW by the way "

On my laptop though...which is only a dual core AMD Turion x2 with 4 gigs of ram and an integrated video card... it only reachs about 30fps in the same areas but it does NOT lag when I am exploring large areas with a far clip distance ..

My video card stays at 42c... I have checked temps and nothing on my computer is above 50c " processor"....

I run Windows Vista 64 Home premium with very little running in the background ever. This computer also runs Crysis at full settings with no noticeable lag what so ever.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Scynte

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Just so you know, 60 fps isn't the max for WoW... turn off your vert sync if you want it to go higher....

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

Installing mmorpgs on a SSD instead of a regular hdd helps reduce lag spikes like that a lot. The lower seek time alone can make a big difference.

Might also be worth disabling the page file if you have 8gb, no point letting the computer use a slow hard disk for memory operations when you have so much real memory.

Chips are faster than disks.