Security Event Viewer Help

Just installed my new Dell Deminsion 3000 with Windows XP Professional and I
am checking the event logs and I find that I have no entries in my Security
event log.

How do I turn on this to track security events?

Thanks

Tom

I thought they were started by default...maybe not, but to turn them on, go
to services in the admin. tools, scroll down until you see event log, and
from the drop down box select automatic.

"Thomas Grassi" <thomasgrassi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just installed my new Dell Deminsion 3000 with Windows XP Professional and
> am checking the event logs and I find that I have no entries in my
Security
> event log.
>
> How do I turn on this to track security events?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Thomas Grassi" <thomasgrassi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uuJyllLEFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Just installed my new Dell Deminsion 3000 with Windows XP Professional and I
> am checking the event logs and I find that I have no entries in my Security
> event log.
>
> How do I turn on this to track security events?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Those will only be tracked if you have certain securty features setup to trigger an event. e.g. requiring a password to be change after xx days, or # of logons. This is primarily used in a domain setup, where the network admins can setup security policies for the different levels of users. This then will have entries in it when events get triggered for various reasons the system warrants and is setup..

I have Pro aslo, but do not use any of the aforementioned criteria to have events triggered, other than the very first time my system peroformed an audit of my user profile, and cleared the log.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:14:48 -0500, Thomas Grassi wrote:

> Just installed my new Dell Deminsion 3000 with Windows XP Professional and I
> am checking the event logs and I find that I have no entries in my Security
> event log.
>
> How do I turn on this to track security events?

Click Start, select Run and enter gpedit.msc. This will open the group
policy editor. Under Computer Configuration expand Windows Settings,
Security Settings, Local Policies, Audit Policy. This will bring up the
list of items that you can audit. Double click each one and you can turn
on auditing of success and failure events for that item.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Thanks It is not working