Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,
Can someone tell me why my attachments are shown on notepad? Also, why
is it that when I type a document on word processor and send it as an
attachment it's encrypted on a different computer? How do I fix this?
please help
computer illiterate chris :confused:

--
chris

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:57:02 +0000, chris wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone tell me why my attachments are shown on notepad?

How are you opening the attachments? If selecting Open instead of Save, has
the "open with" window appeared asking what program to use to open the
file? Did you select Notepad by accident?

Attachments are files. Files have extensions: a dot and (usually) 3 letters
at the end of their name. The extension helps to determine what program
should be used to open the file. Examples: .JPG or .BMP files could be
opened with Paint or a graphic viewer. .TXT files could be opened with
Notepad.

Save the attachments to the desktop. Check their extensions by right
clicking the file and selecting Properties or set Folder Options> View so
that it does not hide known file extensions. Once the extension is known,
determine what program can handle that file type. Launch that program and
use File> Open to select the file and open it.

You can correct a mis-assocation by right clicking on a file and selecting
Open With. When the Open With screen appears, select the proper program and
place a check in the "Always use this program..." box.

> Also, why
> is it that when I type a document on word processor and send it as an
> attachment it's encrypted on a different computer? How do I fix this?
> please help

This problem is a variation of the first -- your recipient does not have a
program that is capable of reading the files that you are sending them.
They can use a different, suitable program to open them. There may be a
viewer available for them as well. Example: A free download from MS is the
Word Viewer that allows users without Word installed to read Word
documents.

On your end, you could save the file in a more generic and universal format
such as .RTF (Rich Text Format). Most PC's with Windows have Wordpad
installed and that program can read .RTF files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

control panel / Internet options / programs tab/ HTML EDITOR is set
to NOTEPAD .. CHANGE it !!