Gilbert

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001

I'm running a stand alone PC with Win XP Home.
When I followed Rick's (excellent) articles on file permissions I found
myself in Safe Mode trying to set permissions for various programs - but I
got confused with the number of accounts. Why is there an administrator AND
an owner/administrator as well as a creator/owner. How many people have I
got to be?:O)
Cheers
Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,

Enough to drive you crazy, isn't it? Those others are defaults set up by
OEM's so that the buyer doesn't have to start a new system by creating an
account. Often times, they also include an account for support issues.
Concentrate on the accounts you know about, ignore the others.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm running a stand alone PC with Win XP Home.
> When I followed Rick's (excellent) articles on file permissions I found
> myself in Safe Mode trying to set permissions for various programs - but I
> got confused with the number of accounts. Why is there an administrator
> AND an owner/administrator as well as a creator/owner. How many people
> have I got to be?:O)
> Cheers
> Gilbert

Gilbert

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote...
> "gilbert" <me2@privacy.net> wrote...

>> Why is there an administrator AND an owner/administrator as well as a
>> creator/owner. How many people have I got to be?:O)
>
> Enough to drive you crazy, isn't it? Those others are defaults set up by
> OEM's so that the buyer doesn't have to start a new system by creating an
> account. Often times, they also include an account for support issues.
> Concentrate on the accounts you know about, ignore the others.

I think I would prefer to concentrate on the ones I don't know about.
But thanks anyway.
:O)
Gilbert

If you have never used certain accounts then just remove them except for the
main Administrator account and the one you use. They will no longer cause
you concern.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp