Sign in with
Your question

My laptop will not read my USB flash drive

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 12:18:17 PM

Hello,
my Acer Aspire One which has Windows 7 Starter, will not read my USB flash drive. I have even bought a new flash drive to see if it would recognize the new one. It hasn't. How can I get my computer to recognize the flash drive?
a c 288 $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 4:12:29 PM

Have you tried several USB ports or just one? Does Windows detect it at all and just won't let you access it? Does you see the found new hardware message?

How about other USB devices, does a USB mouse or keyboard work?
August 26, 2010 8:28:24 PM

You can also try the Device Troubleshooter.

Start > Control Panel > search "troubleshooter" and then click "Troubleshooting" > Hardware and Sound > Configure a Device.

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2010 6:50:17 AM

start-->control panel-->system and security-->device manager-->expand the universal serial bus controllers-->right click and uninstall all of the USB root hubs-->restart-->they will reinstall on restart, and search for attached hardware.
August 25, 2011 10:51:52 PM

Quote:
Hello,
my Acer Aspire One which has Windows 7 Starter, will not read my USB flash drive. I have even bought a new flash drive to see if it would recognize the new one. It hasn't. How can I get my computer to recognize the flash drive?

Same problem with my Acer netbook. Tried usb mouse and and other usb devices. None of the usb ports work anymore.
SKD
April 3, 2013 7:53:01 PM

jakes_winteam said:

Start > Control Panel > search "troubleshooter" and then click "Troubleshooting" > Hardware and Sound > Configure a Device.

- Jake
I did this and it only told me whats wrong but no way to fix it. Any help?

Windows Outreach Team

jakes_winteam said:

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team

jakes_winteam said:

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team

jakes_winteam said:

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team

September 4, 2013 2:52:56 PM

Did you find the solution to the USB ports ? my laptops doing the same thing , it won't read ANYTHING , Flashdrives , IPod ETC.. (I have same laptop as you)
December 7, 2013 12:56:06 AM

me too .
Acer let us down :( 
!